Apple recipes?

Options
SCP0914
SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
edited October 2015 in Recipes
I'm hitting an orchard next weekend and would love to know some healthy apple recipes.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Eat the apple?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Crock pot applesauce is easy and delicious. If you do not have an apple peeler, I highly recommend getting one. Saves so much time. Here is a recipe for the applesauce. I usually add 1/4 cup of water and I also add a few Tbsp. of brown sugar at the end, just to sweeten it up a bit. Delicious with cottage cheese.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228653/slow-cooker-cider-applesauce-no-sugar-added/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I just sometimes stew apples with about a tablespoon of agave and a little water. I then have with yoghurt, wheat biscuits, seeds, fruit or on its own as desert or breakfast.
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Eat the apple?
    Oh, that's clever. Didn't realize that was a recipe. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks, guys! They all sound great.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    red cabbage and apples
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Crock pot applesauce is easy and delicious. If you do not have an apple peeler, I highly recommend getting one. Saves so much time. Here is a recipe for the applesauce. I usually add 1/4 cup of water and I also add a few Tbsp. of brown sugar at the end, just to sweeten it up a bit. Delicious with cottage cheese.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228653/slow-cooker-cider-applesauce-no-sugar-added/

That sounds great! Will try that one for sure! Thanks for posting!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I harvested the neighbour's apples this fall, two big bucket's worth, and made crock pot applesauce with a little cinnamon. It's already been gobbled up by family.

"Baked" apples are nice. Core an apple and fill the core with walnuts, a little brown sugar and cinnamon. You may use the Splenda brown sugar blend. Microwave for a couple minutes, and serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    SCP0914 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Eat the apple?
    Oh, that's clever. Didn't realize that was a recipe. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks, guys! They all sound great.

You're welcome. My point being, an apple is good just the way it is. Why complicate things? Why are we adding sugar to an apple? Don't want my advise, don't take it. I see no need to be insulting.

BTW, grapes come in bunches not apples.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Chop it up and put it in a glass with some cider, caramel vodka and white wine. You're welcome.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Slice it thin and add it to your ham or turkey sandwiches. Also, apple pork chops!

Apple crisp also :*
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @pondee629 there's a reason there's a tradition to preserve in the fall. Eating one apple is easy. Preserving a few buckets of apples so they can be enjoyed through the winter requires a little processing. Hence, recipes.

I always snack when harvesting directly from the vine/branch.
  • ljmars92
    ljmars92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a delicious low cal and easy dessert recipe.
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/apple-pie-granita

I also love sliced apples in salad. Especially salads with goat cheese.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I harvested the neighbour's apples this fall, two big bucket's worth, and made crock pot applesauce with a little cinnamon. It's already been gobbled up by family.

"Baked" apples are nice. Core an apple and fill the core with walnuts, a little brown sugar and cinnamon. You may use the Splenda brown sugar blend. Microwave for a couple minutes, and serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.

Baked apples for sure! You can make them as light or as decadent as you want. I like to do them in the oven and add raisins, quick oats and butter.