ladies with the "pooch" please stand up.

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,872 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    And I had major surgery back in about 1991 which left me with a huge vertical scar right up the middle of my pooch. That scar never healed into a nice neat thin line ... it's quite wide, lumpy, and uneven. Before that, when my weight dropped down close to the bottom of my normal BMI scale, I had a nice flat abdomen. Since then, even when I've been quite thin, and even when I've been working out my core and have decent abdominal muscles, I've never had a nice flat abdomen. It has always been poochy.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Is anyone considering that it's thier Amentum? This is the naturally occuring pad of fat on the belly that will protect the belly from knocks during pregnancy. It is there all the time whether you have been pregnant or not- and it is bigger in some people than others. Hourglass shapes tend to have larger amentums.

I know that when I was very underweight i still had a prominent pad of fat (also my psoture did'nt help). My Mother had one too even when she was at a very low weight/ body fat with cancer. The only time she had a flat stomach was when the surgeon cut out her amentum during her hysterectomy as it had cancer cells in it.

It's part of being a women- and as i said it's bigger in some women than others. You win some , you lose some. You accept the little things like this and focus on the great things about your body (at least i do and I think others should)
  • xcoffeebean
    xcoffeebean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    With no success I briefly searched the internet for a website to link you to that I found in the past... if you're interested I could search harder. However I eliminated my lower stomach problem after consistently practicing several core moves, some involving a kettleball (I used a 10lb "kettle purse"). I'm a cardioholic but that had never tightened my lower stomach much until I added these moves...

Turkish get-up roll
    Plank up/downs
    Suitcase deadlift
    Kettleball swing
    ...there are 2 more I can't recall the names tho!

End note: try incorporating strength moves for your core. I saw the results I wanted after a few short weeks.

Best of luck (:

• kirstengeffen
    kirstengeffen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is anyone considering that it's thier Amentum? This is the naturally occuring pad of fat on the belly that will protect the belly from knocks during pregnancy. It is there all the time whether you have been pregnant or not- and it is bigger in some people than others. Hourglass shapes tend to have larger amentums.

I know that when I was very underweight i still had a prominent pad of fat (also my psoture did'nt help). My Mother had one too even when she was at a very low weight/ body fat with cancer. The only time she had a flat stomach was when the surgeon cut out her amentum during her hysterectomy as it had cancer cells in it.

It's part of being a women- and as i said it's bigger in some women than others. You win some , you lose some. You accept the little things like this and focus on the great things about your body (at least i do and I think others should)

Never actually heard of this.. Very interesting!

I think I'm gonna donate mine to someone else though, I'm a school teacher and so I have more than enough kids to want my own!! :)

Very interesting though, amazing how we are built to accomodate and adapt to things that may come!
  • 123juliaj123
    123juliaj123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wish it were easier to post a pic then you guys could see.. haha... maybe I'll try figure out how to post one tomorrow coz it's 3AM now :(

Does it look like any of these pics:
    x1ly9enfthk4.jpg

The bottom of your stomach maybe in the bottom right August pic!!
    Congrats the.. damn amazing job! Xxx

OH WOW this is all YOU! amazing transformation ..well done you look great
  • franciss
    franciss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes all I can say is WOW too. Those photo's look so real not some kind of slimming club. It's motivates me. Thanks
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I still have it - It keeps me warm in the winter months ;)
  • downa100
    downa100 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wish it were easier to post a pic then you guys could see.. haha... maybe I'll try figure out how to post one tomorrow coz it's 3AM now :(

x1ly9enfthk4.jpg

Wow amazing job. What did you do? How long did it take?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It IS the last stronghold for fat.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    It IS the last stronghold for fat.

That depends on genetics and is no way universal.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    When I compete in bodybuilding competitions I have very low fat. That means visible abs. The bottom of my stomach pokes out slightly due to how my hips tilt. 3 site calipers is not that accurate. 7 site or 9 site are more standard and more accurate. I'm guessing your body fat was higher than 12% and you may have a pelvic tilt issue.

Hip-posture.jpg

Thanks for the diagram.Now, I have my skeletal structure to blame
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I got sick and down to 85 lbs at 5'6", and I still had a bit of one! I lost so much muscle and didn't lose that fat.

Mine isn't big now (when I'm not bloated). I'm at 133 (maintenance) with a ton more muscle than at 85, obviously. It's still there, but it blends well enough into my other abs, which stick out down my midsection themselves. Mine's muscle and fat, and I just don't have that fat on the top abs, so it's a bit imbalanced.

I actually think I like its looks better than what my lower ab muscle looks like on its own, lol. Mine seems so high! The little pooch does look more feminine, so I think I actually like it now that it's been tamed down to size :grin:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

great info and attitude :smile:
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have been in pretty good shape as a lady

Were you previously a man?

So, this is a post about the dreaded lower belly pooch.

Sometimes this pooch is more about posture. Have you checked your posture?

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I had a pooch all my life, even in high school when I did weight training and ran cross country and track. Add two C-sections and my pooch is staying. However, it has shrunk quite a bit after losing almost 50 and adding weight training. I am not going to wear a bikini though. I have thought about cool sculpting for that stubborn little pooch I have left but not sure if it is that important to me to spend that much money.

On a side note, I looked up Amentum to read about it myself. The actual spelling is Omentum ... gotta get the right spelling down if you look it up! Amentum is a leather strap on a javelin! :wink:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    When I compete in bodybuilding competitions I have very low fat. That means visible abs. The bottom of my stomach pokes out slightly due to how my hips tilt. 3 site calipers is not that accurate. 7 site or 9 site are more standard and more accurate. I'm guessing your body fat was higher than 12% and you may have a pelvic tilt issue.

Hip-posture.jpg

Thanks for the diagram.Now, I have my skeletal structure to blame

Not skeletal structure. Posture and muscle imbalance, which can be fixed.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Do you mean the omentum? An amentum is part of a javelin to increase its range.

I've got a large pooch from being morbidly obese for 30 years. It's not going away without surgery.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I've got a large pooch from being morbidly obese for 30 years. It's not going away without surgery.
    I was checking to see if someone said that. :) Yes, she means omentum. There is a greater and a lesser one.

One of the functions is to protect internal organs, but it does that for both sexes. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

x1ly9enfthk4.jpg

Amazing! Plus you give me hope for my pooch. Mine's uneven like yours was. I love how it gets higher and smaller the more weight I lose.

Ladies, if you don't want loose abdominal skin? Don't have a baby at 40.

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

I was checking to see if someone said that. :) Yes, she means omentum. There is a greater and a lesser one.

One of the functions is to protect internal organs, but it does that for both sexes. :)

Thanks guys. I've never seen it written before or looked it up- I was just going off what my mum told me. I love to learn new stuff. Note: auto correct changed that to ' I love Toblerone ' which I nearly left it as that's also true!