Lost weight, now time to bulk

Options
Hey Guys,

I used to weigh in at 360lbs. Now, I am a comfortable 229lbs. However, I have noticed that all my running has given me cut and defined legs, but a lot of excess skin and limited strength in my upper body.

I am wanting to bulk up my body and put on a lot more muscle that is well defined. How many calories should I be in taking, and at what percentage should my protein, carbs and fat be around?

Replies

• Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Oddly, that calculator has a completely different result than what MFP gives you with their calculations.
  • shan2274
    shan2274 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How Can i reduce fat in The abb,
    An 172 cm
    77kg
    43 years
  • L0VE3UG
    L0VE3UG Posts: 47 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I found articles on bodybuilding.com to be more helpful than MFP when it came to determining calorie/macro/micro needs. They have a ton of threads that have been "stickied" so they remain at the top of the forum you won't have to dig for some good information. Below is a good one:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

it presents several different ways to calculate what your needs are based on your goal. In a very basic, short explanation in order to put on muscle mass you will need to LIFT HEAVY and eat above your maintenance calories to fuel muscle growth. You will likely gain fat in the process which can be cut later on by tweaking your diet and continuing to lift heavy. The bulk process is not a fast one though, so you do have to be patient to get the mass you are looking for...

Sorry I can't be more specific and tell you exactly what you need but it does depend on BF%, weight, height, activity level, the number of workouts you'll be doing etc. Also, some people respond better to different macro %'s so you'll likely have to tweak things a little until you find what works for you. The articles on BB.com should give you a good start though. Good luck!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Oddly, that calculator has a completely different result than what MFP gives you with their calculations.

Most other calculators are based on TDEE, MFP is based on NEAT.

Do you know your BF%? Are you still overweight?

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    How about checking out the must read post at the top. It links to the must read threads on this sub forum.
    Let me help you, start here
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How tall are you and have you been lifting? I don't know many people that actually should be bulking at 230 lbs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    How tall are you and have you been lifting? I don't know many people that actually should be bulking at 230 lbs.

this ..

OP do you know your body fat %?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    shan2274 wrote: »
    How Can i reduce fat in The abb,
    An 172 cm
    77kg
    43 years

please start your own thread.