eat. yum.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat everything, in moderation.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Just had a sweet potato last night with my dinner, it was so good, plus the kitchen smelled so nice from having it in the oven. It was also very filling and I didn't get hungry later. For some reason, when I eat starchy food like that, I sleep so soundly. Sweet potatoes make me think of cozy things, and I think that's why! (I confess that I do not shy away from carbs.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Sweet potatoes are fine to eat because they are not white.

Unhelpful.

Not any more unhelpful than your unhelpful. OP wanted an opinion on whether or not to eat sweet potatoes. I gave her one, an incorrect and MFP-food racist one.

Many, many people believe the color of foods dictate how unhelpful they'll be in an overall diet. White food, specifically potatoes, rice, and bread, get much of that blame.

OP, eat the sweet potatoes and quit worrying about whether Whitey the Carb will make you fat.

In context? no. Not helpful. Give her your framework, rather than spouting what you see as "demonizing" or whatever.
    Tell her how you eat. Make suggestions.

You mocked. Plain and simple.

Not helpful.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure I get the question. If you're doing some special diet that limits carbs or whathaveyou, then maybe the potato doesn't fit in.

If it's just about losing weight, the potato won't stop you from losing. You could eat a diet comprised of potatoes (and only potatoes) and still lose weight. Weight loss is about burning more energy than you get from your food and that's it.

Personally, I eat quite a bit of potato. I have one or two a week. I need the potassium. :)
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I have them a few times a week myself. They're soooo good and good for you too. One of my fave things is slicing them really thin and making chips in the oven. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are fine to eat because they are not white.

Unhelpful.

Agreed.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potato!

If you are looking to lose weight, you can eat ANYTHING - honestly. Just keep an eye on portion control and make it fit into your calories. Also, I have to add - sweet potatoes are very good for you!
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are healthy! Full of vitamins, lower glycemic index so you're full longer. It's the slathering them in butter and brown sugar that's bad for you! ;)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    You don't need to limit any of those, other than to make sure you're eating a balanced diet within your calorie goals. All those foods are good for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kuroshii wrote: »
    Sweet potatoes are healthy! Full of vitamins, lower glycemic index so you're full longer. It's the slathering them in butter and brown sugar that's bad for you! ;)

As long as you count the calories in them, putting butter and brown sugar on your sweet potatoes isn't going to be harmful (unless you have a medical reason to limit fat and/or sugar).
  • roxyish71
    roxyish71 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Eat all the potatoes
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Yeah ITA- I like to eat both sweet and regular potatoes- just make them fit within my calorie goals
  • Moniwillo
    Moniwillo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat them a few times a week and I'm losing fat just fine. They give me great energy for working out
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Omg I eat a large baked sweet potato after almost every morning workout. Baked in the oven (the only way!) and totally plain or with hot sauce. So satisfying and uber healthy! It's helped my lose lbs!
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    kuroshii wrote: »
    As long as you count the calories in them, putting butter and brown sugar on your sweet potatoes isn't going to be harmful (unless you have a medical reason to limit fat and/or sugar).

Very true! That was more a reference to potatoes in general getting a bad rap, when really it's all the stuff people load them up with that does them in--so to speak. :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, and regular potatoes, and corn, are all delicious and nutritious foods that fit perfectly well into a balanced diet. The way some people vilify foods just saddens me.

Sweet Potato Nutrition Facts

Baked (Russet) Potato Nutrition Facts

Sweet Corn Nutrition Facts