10 lessons I have learnt from my past mistakes

Options
rajanveer
rajanveer Posts: 19 Member
1. A calorie is a calorie does not matter where it come from but they have different nutritional value.
2. Protein n especially fat will keep u full for longer than carbs.
3. Don't use cardio for fat loss just for conditioning.
4. Start lifting heavy weights if u want ur weight loss to be mainly fat.
5. Eat lots of veg but some fruits
6. Avoid nuts n seeds if u can as there r better source of fat with less caloric value ie fish n fish.
7. Carbs r not bad no need to avoid them use them as u see fit
8. Stick to a eating pattern/style u can maintain all ur life
9. Aim for staying within weekly calorie goal rather than getting mad about daily calorie goal, it gives u flexibility
10. Think long term rather than short term remember tortoise n rabbit story.
Best of luck with ur goals.

Replies

• mueck1
    mueck1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is great!! Thanks
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You know, I need reminders like this from time to time.
    Thanks!

Although, I do love the 'crunch' a sprinkling of seeds on my morning porridge can give me. :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree about #6. Why avoid nuts? They are a fantastic source of antioxidants which help to protect against oxidative stress which can damage molecules in cells and contribute to aging and diseases like cancer. Almonds are among the worlds best source of Vitamin E which several studies have linked to lower rates of heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's disease. They also make a great choice for diabetics as they are high in magnesium which helps with blood sugar control as well as help to lower blood presuare. Almonds are also great at helping to lower your LDL (bad cholesterol). So just like everything else they need to be eaten in moderation but they shouldn't be avoided.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree about #6. Why avoid nuts? They are a fantastic source of antioxidants which help to protect against oxidative stress which can damage molecules in cells and contribute to aging and diseases like cancer. Almonds are among the worlds best source of Vitamin E which several studies have linked to lower rates of heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's disease. They also make a great choice for diabetics as they are high in magnesium which helps with blood sugar control as well as help to lower blood presuare. Almonds are also great at helping to lower your LDL (bad cholesterol). So just like everything else they need to be eaten in moderation but they shouldn't be avoided.

Plus fiber, calcium, iron, and folate.
    And tasty!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    All good...nuts for me are a trigger food, hard to monitor quantity. Healthy as they are...too much is too many calories!

I would add:
    1. That "treat" will always be available another day, another time...it is fine to skip it today
    2. CICO is the key for losing the lbs
    3. Exercise is critical for overall fitness but won't drop lbs
    4. Water is your friend! Keeps you full and keeps you regular!
    5. Sometimes if you really need chocolate...it makes a fine dinner! :-)
  • rajanveer
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

I never said nuts r bad Wat I said avoid if u can as there r better option which r less caloric dense .. for example 100gm of almonds 576 calories vs 100 gm of salmon 208 calories and when u trying to loose fat 376 calories matters a lot. If u want antioxidants eat berries (pick any), grapes and they r not caloric dense , include lots of green veg specially broccoli and take a vitamin e supplement, u don't have to eat nuts even for their nutritional value coz there r better choices then them n it's all about making smart choices when on diet , don't get me wrong I use to love almonds,cashew, pistachios n if I fancy some I will have them in small ammount but not for their nutrional value as I believe there should be no restrictions in a diet only smart choices..
  • rajanveer
    Options
    mueck1 wrote: »
    This is great!! Thanks

Glad u like it
  • rajanveer
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You know, I need reminders like this from time to time.
    Thanks!

Although, I do love the 'crunch' a sprinkling of seeds on my morning porridge can give me. :)

You r right, that's what it is a reminder of the things I have done wrong in the past so I don't do them anymore.. :)
    Diet should not be restrictive u should be able to have what u luv even seeds n nuts.
  • rajanveer
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    All good...nuts for me are a trigger food, hard to monitor quantity. Healthy as they are...too much is too many calories!

I would add:
    1. That "treat" will always be available another day, another time...it is fine to skip it today
    2. CICO is the key for losing the lbs
    3. Exercise is critical for overall fitness but won't drop lbs
    4. Water is your friend! Keeps you full and keeps you regular!
    5. Sometimes if you really need chocolate...it makes a fine dinner! :-)

Totally agreed apart from 1 , if u need a treat have it today n adjust ur calories for tomorrow but keep it in moderation .
  • rajanveer
    edited October 2015
    Options
    learned is the correct word
    hope that was not rude. just for next time.

Not rude at all, grammar has never been my strong point so u might see some future mistakes :) do u know how to edit it to correct as I can't find the option
  • rajanveer
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rajanveer wrote: »
    learned is the correct word