Going Vegan

Options
OK all so my hubby went Plant Based Vegan 3+ years ago. I have tried in the past to do it but fail.
So I am challenging myself to do this for the Month of October and blog (mostly for myself) about the differences I am feeling as well as any weight loss or other benefits that I may see.

If your already Vegan and want to cheer me on or are curious about it at all please Send me a Friend Request. I will likely post my blog to my page for you to read if you choose to.

Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for nine years. Good luck!
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    I'm a ninth level vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I think I'm going to follow, as it's something I've been thinking about doing for ages too but never seem to have enough "time" for (to prepare). I'm a vegetarian/borderline vegan and I am mostly plant based, but it would be great to see you going all out. Sending you a friends request!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Add me! I'm working on this too!!!
  • jennygioka
    jennygioka Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    oups sorry wrong thread...
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm a vegan who is just starting MFP dieting. I am wanting to cut out/cut back the processed foods. I have been thinking about and dabbling in much more or hopefully all raw food diet.
    Anyone going that route?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that.
  • pembr0ke
    pembr0ke Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Why? I can understand vegetarianism but what is the point of veganism? Not trying to 'stir the pot', just interested!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    pembr0ke wrote: »
    Why? I can understand vegetarianism but what is the point of veganism? Not trying to 'stir the pot', just interested!

Ethical concerns.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm a ninth level vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

Isn't that level five?
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Plant-based/vegan is fairly easy. So many recipes available on the internet. You can make anything vegan easily.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Ethical concerns.

And health concerns. Vegetarian diets can still be high in saturated fats. I've switched to no meat/no cheese/no full-fat dairy/few eggs because of high "bad" cholesterol.

• Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

If you want to have a good idea of why some people go Vegan for Health reasons I would suggest watching FORKS OVER KNIVES on Netflix. My husband was on 4 prescription meds when we watched this movie. He decided to try it for 3 months to see if what they were saying were true... Well it has been 3 years and he is off all his meds and healthier than ever.
    I have personally seen what it does to cut out all the processed crap and I want to do it. But given our society of FAST and ON THE GO food. I struggle with it

• Gaz_Palmer
    Options
    Well in the context of this site I guess there are 2 answers, but really there's only 1 answer.
    Vegans are against all animal use or exploitation. Which of course means that they don't consume any animal product.
    In the 'borrowed' meaning of the word, vegan means eating a plant based diet.

The point of the first (true) meaning, is kinda obvious, a moral/ethical choice that animals are not objects to be used. In that meaning there is no 'almost vegan' 'vegan except....' etc! It's either in or out....binary. Which I guess I should leave right there.
    The point of the second reason, is that a happy co-incidence of being a vegan is that it is proven to be just about the best way to eat for your own health.
    There are even other benefits like environmental, that anyone can look up if interested.
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Options
    Gaz_Palmer wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm a vegan who is just starting MFP dieting. I am wanting to cut out/cut back the processed foods. I have been thinking about and dabbling in much more or hopefully all raw food diet.
    Anyone going that route?
    does that mean you cannot even steamed broccoli?
    Well, there's no 'cannot' if you want to, you do. It's not really something you have to do strictly. There are 'rawtil4' and other versions where you eat raw part of the day, or in stages etc.

But, have you tried raw broccoli? It's delicious! Even my kids, who are not the best veg eaters, love it raw!
    The point is, in eg. an uncooked piece of broccoli there are a ton more nutrients, and it will fill you up faster,than a soggy overcooked piece.
  • ybaird
    ybaird Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am whole food, plant based for two years. I sometimes struggle with added oils.
  • daveinreston
    daveinreston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also, environmental: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet "A global shift towards a vegan diet is vital to save the world from hunger, fuel poverty and the worst impacts of climate change, a UN report said today..."
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Options
    Also, environmental: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet "A global shift towards a vegan diet is vital to save the world from hunger, fuel poverty and the worst impacts of climate change, a UN report said today..."
    Lots more info on these issues within "Cowspiracy" an awesome documentary- now on Netflix.