Going Vegan

2»

Replies

• nancycola
    nancycola Posts: 98 Member
    Good luck Kara. I was a vegan/vegetarian for 10 years. But I steered too far into carbs which did a number on my waistline plus I was always iron deficient according to my doctor. But that was about 6 years ago. I know better now and would tackle things differently. There are so many great recipes and resources out now I probably wouldn't have as tough a time as before.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Kara52217 wrote: »
    pembr0ke wrote: »
    Why? I can understand vegetarianism but what is the point of veganism? Not trying to 'stir the pot', just interested!

If you want to have a good idea of why some people go Vegan for Health reasons I would suggest watching FORKS OVER KNIVES on Netflix. My husband was on 4 prescription meds when we watched this movie. He decided to try it for 3 months to see if what they were saying were true... Well it has been 3 years and he is off all his meds and healthier than ever.
    I have personally seen what it does to cut out all the processed crap and I want to do it. But given our society of FAST and ON THE GO food. I struggle with it

Going vegan and cutting the "processed crap" are not the same things. Lots of non vegan foods aren't processed (especially according to the usual usage on MFP, which seems to mean "highly processed") and lots of vegan foods are. Moreover, processed foods vary a lot.

I'm also skeptical of the benefits of a vegan diet when usually the comparison is between a crappy diet and a totally different vegan diet. Usually healthy non-vegan diets aren't the control.
  • fkwan
    fkwan Posts: 28 Member
    Vegan for 7 years. Never felt better. Now on relatively low carb high protein version.
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    nancycola wrote: »
    Good luck Kara. I was a vegan/vegetarian for 10 years. But I steered too far into carbs which did a number on my waistline plus I was always iron deficient according to my doctor. But that was about 6 years ago. I know better now and would tackle things differently. There are so many great recipes and resources out now I probably wouldn't have as tough a time as before.

Wow, thought I was the only one! I just couldn't stay healthy & fit on a vegan diet anymore. (Not that it can't be done! It was just me & all my food allergies. Ever met a vegan allergic to vegetables?!) Anyway, I introduced animal products back into my diet over the summer & I was almost hoping I wouldn't feel better, but I did--almost immediately. I still have mixed up feelings about it. :neutral:
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    I've been vegan for 7 years :) You can do it!! Good luck xoxo