Hypothyroidism and losing weight!! HELP!!!

Options
I am 5 foot 9 inches tall and weigh 235 pounds. I am starting week two of clean eating. I'm trying to get my metabolism working correctly, I do have hypothyroidism and I struggle greatly with weight loss. I was diagnosed at age 19 with this and currently take 175mg per day of med for it. Does anyone suffer from the same? I need pointers and tips on how to lose weight. I am on a strict 1550 calorie per day diet, I drink 120 ounces of water per day, I eat breakfast then an high protein snack, lunch then a high protein snack, then dinner and a high protein snack. I am literally eating bare minimum. Any help is appreciated, also please add me as friend for encouragement. Being 31 and to fat to play with my daughter is miserable.

Replies

• TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    Is your hypothryroidism under control with medication? If you are on the correct dosage you should have only minimal issues with weight loss. Next time you get your blood work done, have them check T4/T3 and TSH, if they don't check all 3 already. If your T4 isn't on the high end of the normal range and your TSH on the low end of the normal range, then ask to have your medication level bumped up a dose.

I'm in the same situation but once I stabilized on 250mg of Synthroid, I feel more or less normal in terms of energy level. I don't just feel like staying in bed all day, and I regularly go hiking and biking and whatnot. Increasing the CO side of CICO (calories in / calories out) is a good way to tip the scale in favour of weight loss.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Do you have your thyroid under control? If yes, it should be irrelevant. If not, you need to make sure you are stabilised and do not need adjustment in meds. Do you have normal energy levels?
    How long have you been logging? How certain are you about your calorie counting? Do you use a food scale for everything? Have you seen any results so far?
    Also just curious, but why the emphasis on the high protein?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Also I do nto know what you mean by getting your metabolism to work correctly, but this will only be done with medication. If you are not on the right meds, there is nothing you can do.
  • lizziesmom15
    lizziesmom15 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for the comments. I currently am about to start the advocare 24 days challenge and it calls for lots of protein, that's why I try to consume as much as possible. I am starting my 2nd weeks of logging and I measure everything. Amounts of salad dressing and cups of serving sizes etc. I do not have a sclae to weigh my food. I will be going to the docyor again in November for another blood test to see how my levels are. Currently I have not lost any weight because I just started clean eating. I eat no fried foods, no sweets,no sodas, only water, no preservatives, and I do not exercise yet. I plan to join gym this week.
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    Oh and my energy levels are the best they have been in years.
  • Cheryl_onmyweighdown
    Options
    I also have hypothyroid but only 75mcg of synthroid.... My levels are always good but tiredness persists and Dr's not interested in changing or adding different thyroid meds for T3 which I've read has been very helpful to those struggling with weight loss after thyroid levels balanced.
    I'm close to your stats (I'm 5'8" and 235lbs). I haven't been below 225 in 2-3 years and very low in motivation...

I've started working on small changes to get me through the first week since I'm usually an all or nothing kind of girl and hoping the slow & steady will work better.... Today I'm logging my food and drinking my water... I'll focus more on the kinds of food and amounts in a few days since I do get overwhelmed easy and give up once one thing doesn't go perfectly :neutral:
  • BellaPyper13
    BellaPyper13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suffer too. Iam on 175mcg too. I just found iam diabetic a few weeks ago.I need to fight this and lose weight. I have lost 13 pounds so far. I will send a friend request. Maybe we can help each other?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Just got diagnosed, and on small doses. Actually increasing my caloric intake has helped me more than reducing. Restricting my calories is actually what played a major factor and contribution to the development of my hypo....along with genetics. But increasing my cals def helped me personally.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroid but only 75mcg of synthroid.... My levels are always good but tiredness persists and Dr's not interested in changing or adding different thyroid meds for T3 which I've read has been very helpful to those struggling with weight loss after thyroid levels balanced.
    I'm close to your stats (I'm 5'8" and 235lbs). I haven't been below 225 in 2-3 years and very low in motivation...

I've started working on small changes to get me through the first week since I'm usually an all or nothing kind of girl and hoping the slow & steady will work better.... Today I'm logging my food and drinking my water... I'll focus more on the kinds of food and amounts in a few days since I do get overwhelmed easy and give up once one thing doesn't go perfectly :neutral:

You can look into natural supplementation to complement your T4 only medication.

From most any vitamin/nutrition store can try
    Thyroid complex
    B5
    B-100 complex
    Adrenal support

Also
    Bovine or Povine thyroid health from nutri-meds.

More importantly, find a new Dr. Our Dr works for US, not the other way around. If they are unwilling to address your symptoms, and/or explore different medications other than the 1 stop fix all T4 only crap then I highly suggest finding a more informed Dr.

Some people do not convert T4 to T3 efficiently or at all.
    A healthy thyroid gland produces T1-T4 and we need them all, not just T4
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid too. I haven't found any differences between losing while on meds (150mcg natural desiccated thyroid) and losing prior to my diagnosis. It's about the same.

I've found cutting out processed foods (clean eating) was effective for me in the past. Good luck.
  • 1stgardengirl
    1stgardengirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid for over 25 years (Hashimotos). I've had trouble keeping my levels under control as my thyroid continues to diminish in size and activity, to almost nothing. I'm at 216.5, down from 230, 5'7". The only way I can lose is to exercise a LOT, while keeping my calories at a deficit. I can't eat my extra exercise calories - or I will gain. It has been a difficult balancing act for many years. I agree some of the other posters; if your meds aren't under control, it is next to impossible to lose. DO start exercising - that does help!
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    It makes it very discouraging to be in this boat, I only eat very little calories each day. Family dinners are depressing because all the things I enjoy I can't eat. Why must it be so hard to lose weight. Hypothyroidism is rough when it comes to weight loss. I am definitely going to join the gym, its a vicious cycle.
  • christel2
    christel2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You guys might want to go to the Facebook page I'm on daily with their are some great helpful ladies on the helping with the "thyroid healing Journey" that's what it's called; it's a private group that can examine what labs to run where your numbers should be at etc .I have hashimotos for over 9 years and losing weight is a battle sometimes too much exercise can harm them do good depending if you are over doing it or not
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hashi here as well. Know that hashi causes hypothyroid, and alotbof autoimmune diseases originate from diet.
    Look up leaky gut

http://www.holtorfmed.com/leaky-gut-linked-to-hashimotos-thyroiditis/

http://chriskresser.com/the-thyroid-gut-connection/
  • gothica9910
    gothica9910 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hashi here too. It's taken me almost a month of super clean eating, and averaging 1100-1300 calories just to loose 4 lbs. I also have pcos between the two it's nearly impossible. I'm glad I saw this post, I came on here specifically to find others in the same boat. Hang in there
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you and hang in there. I'm on your same dosage and have had success losing but thats b/c my levels are super stable which did take a while. Patience is easier said than done. Enlist your endocrinologist to allow you the highest safe dosage possible. And continue to listen to your body!
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    Hashi here too. It's taken me almost a month of super clean eating, and averaging 1100-1300 calories just to loose 4 lbs. I also have pcos between the two it's nearly impossible. I'm glad I saw this post, I came on here specifically to find others in the same boat. Hang in there

We can encourage each other.
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    janisvin wrote: »
    Good luck to you and hang in there. I'm on your same dosage and have had success losing but thats b/c my levels are super stable which did take a while. Patience is easier said than done. Enlist your endocrinologist to allow you the highest safe dosage possible. And continue to listen to your body!

Thanks for the insight. Good luck to you as well.