Veggie Stuffed Peppers

Options
maygans
maygans Posts: 196 Member
I originally found this recipe here but I altered some stuff to my liking : http://lowcalcook.blogspot.com/2011/04/vegetarian-stuffed-peppers.html

Veggie Stuffed Peppers

6 Green peppers
1 package zatarans black beans and rice (lower sodium one worked fine)
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 onion diced
1 cup baby spinach leaves chopped
4 ounces 50% light Cabot cheddar grated (I'm not sure where the Cabot brand is available, but you can use any cheese)
1 can fat free refried beans
1.5ish tablespoons grated parmesan

1) Cook zatarans as directed (takes at least 25 minutes!)
2) Stir fry onions, broccoli and spinach until onions are translucent. I greased the pan with pam
3) Mix zatarans, cooked veggies, refried beans and cheddar in a bowl until well mixed
4) Cut off tops of peppers and clean out insides/seeds
5) Big pot of boiling water, boil peppers for 5 minutes to soften, shake off excess water when taking out
6) Put peppers on a baking pan sprayed with pam and fill each one (If you fill them a bit less you could probably even get 7 peppers out of it, as you'll probably have some filling leftover. I had a bunch left!)
7) Sprinkle parmesan on the tops. I used a 1/4 tablespoon measure for each of them but you could add more or less to your liking.
8 ) Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes.

**I sort of guesstimated the cup of broccoli it might have been more like a cup and a half, I was just chopping bunches of it. If I do it again I might add less refried beans too (the original recipe had 1 cup but I felt stupid leaving 1/4 of the can sitting there so I just threw the rest in) because I thought it was on the verge of being TOO beany.**

I really liked the end product, and I felt so full after! I personally had some filling left over after overflowing my 6 peppers, but my friend recently made this off my recipe, and she didn't have any filling left, so maybe it was the size of the peppers or maybe she used less broccoli/refried beans than I did.

Stats:
Calories- 230
Fat- 4 grams
Carbs- 38 grams
Protein- 14 grams

Replies

• lalalalyndsey
    Options
    My bf's mom actually made veggie stuffed peppers the other day and put lentils in it... they were to DIE for! Just my 2 cents! :P
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This looks really good and the best part is I have most of it in the kitchen! I bought the Zataran's black beans and rice so long ago and just never made it. Now I can use it up finally! Thanks for sharing!
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The stats are for how many peppers? All six!?!? (That would be amazing! I'd eat this every day!)
  • nharr002
    nharr002 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Those sound delicious. I'm saving this recipe to a word document right now. Thanks! :D
  • maygans
    Options
    The stats are for how many peppers? All six!?!? (That would be amazing! I'd eat this every day!)

Oh my gosh that would be awesome! But no, it's per pepper! ;)
  • Kimkimba
    Kimkimba Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Saving this to try. Thanks!
  • misslyssx
    misslyssx Posts: 87
    Options
    bump
  • jenkins1103
    jenkins1103 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • natl27
    natl27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    looks awesome!
  • liztalley
    liztalley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm making this for supper tomorrow night. Thanks for a great recipe
  • brujeria48
    brujeria48 Posts: 25
    Options
    Looks great! I know what I'm making tonight….
  • maygans
    Options
    Bring Up My Post!