Bagels

Options
Currently on my first bulk and looking for high calorie high carb foods . Any thoughts on bagels , so much conflicting views on the web

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Conflicting views? The only debates I know related to bagels are Montreal vs. New York (Montreal, of course) or Saint-Viateur vs. Fairmount (I'm a Saint-Viateur girl myself).

Other than that, what's to debate? Bagels are yummy. Enjoy.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on bulking, but if you are looking for high cal and high carb, I can't imagine why bagels wouldn't work.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bagels are delicious.

My main issue is logging them, as you typically can't find any nutrition information for them, expect generic ones, that can be way off.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    yeah, bagels are yummy, eat it post workout as it is high GI index to help elevate blood sugar/insulin levels to move nutrients(protein) to muscles. Good luck with the bulk.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Aw bagels are great. As far as high carb and high cal, they will do the trick. I can barely make those suckers work in maintenance (I live in NYC though and they are huge). Can't wait to bulk.
  • segacs
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My main issue is logging them, as you typically can't find any nutrition information for them, expect generic ones, that can be way off.

It depends where you get them from. Some chains and well known shops publish their nutritional info. For instance, St-Viateur sesame bagels are about 220 calories each.
  • mattbeck180
    mattbeck180 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting and I eat a blueberry bagel with six jumbo eggs every day for breakfast. That is by far my favorite meal. It's 220cal
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    220 calories for a bagel and 6 eggs? Something's off there.

But I love bagels. I love the Everything Bagels, those are my favorite.
  • segacs
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Yeah, maybe the bagel alone, if it's a small one. But each jumbo egg has about 100 calories, so your meal in total is more like 800-1000 calories.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Great for gaining fat!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm cutting and I eat a blueberry bagel with six jumbo eggs every day for breakfast. That is by far my favorite meal. It's 220cal

Um... no.
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Great for gaining fat!

Only if eating at a calorie surplus, because, you know, science.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Those must be some jumbo quail eggs or something lol ;p
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

good luck with that cut
  • mattbeck180
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Yeah, maybe the bagel alone, if it's a small one. But each jumbo egg has about 100 calories, so your meal in total is more like 800-1000 calories.

My diary is open if you want to look. I'm dropping a pound and a half a week eating that. Everyone is different and it works for me
  • segacs
    Options

My diary is open if you want to look. I'm dropping a pound and a half a week eating that. Everyone is different and it works for me

Yeah and according to your diary, you're logging about 950 calories for breakfast each day. Which is exactly what I said above.
  • mattbeck180
    Options
    My bad I meant to click on the one that was talking *kitten*
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    BAGELS here I come !