becoming a personal trainer?

Options
I am curious about becoming a certified personal trainer. I love working out, crossfit and wieght lifting. Any suggestions where to start? I was planning on asking the gyms in my town what certificate they accept ect. I really dont want to be in school for years to get a bachelor so I am looking into an online certificate. Also with two kids under two years my time is limited so I need to be able to study at home.
Also I was wondering about hiring a personal trainer myself to get the feel for what they do...if you know what I mean?
Any tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Where are you ? Certification etc tends to depend on local / regional / state bodies and rules
  • sbourghol
    sbourghol Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hello, certified personal trainer is a good thing but not enough if you really want to work in the domain. I would suggest you to do studies at the faculty or any other institution to get a diploma(Ba, Ma degree etc..) in physical education or physical trainer.
    Nowadays certificate are easy to have but unfortunately most of the certified people don't have any background in the domain.
    So having both diploma and certificate is the best choice for a rock solid job opportunity!

For Crossfit certificate, you must begin buy having the L1 crossfit trainer. you can check the crossfit.com website for more info on the location and date of the certificate depending on the country. As you finish your L1, you can choose to have a crossfit weightlifting certificate and many other specialties.
    Hope have help you :) best regards
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information! I am not wanting to do as a career as much as something I am interested in and part time.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    National Academy of Sports Medicine and American College of Sports Medicine are 2 excellent options for PT certs. I'm certified with NASM for all my certs and can attest to them being excellent.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    National Academy of Sports Medicine and American College of Sports Medicine are 2 excellent options for PT certs. I'm certified with NASM for all my certs and can attest to them being excellent.

Awesome thanks!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    ACSM has a comparison of the different certifications available. I'm certified with AFAA as a pt and ACE as a group instructor and AEA as an aquatics instructor.