need some calorie counting help

Options
Thanks for any help in advance.

Here is the situation. I give tennis lessons for anywhere from 5 to 8 hours a day. If I am actually playing with my student, I put down tennis on exercise and use that(but I rarely go hard, like I would when I am playing a match). When I am just feeding balls and teaching or demonstrating, there is still a lot of movement, but my heart rate is getting no where to 60 or 70% of max. I have been giving myself 20 minutes of moderate walking for every hour I teach a lesson and the amount of time I hit with a student I have been putting as tennis playing, does anyone have a better idea to make this more accurate?

Also, I really appreciate this communities willingness to support and help each other, I have never seen anything like it on the internet. I brought this up to a couple of league teams that I coach, that you need to praise and support as much as possible, because it really helps. Thanks again.

Replies

• RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for any help in advance.

Here is the situation. I give tennis lessons for anywhere from 5 to 8 hours a day. If I am actually playing with my student, I put down tennis on exercise and use that(but I rarely go hard, like I would when I am playing a match). When I am just feeding balls and teaching or demonstrating, there is still a lot of movement, but my heart rate is getting no where to 60 or 70% of max. I have been giving myself 20 minutes of moderate walking for every hour I teach a lesson and the amount of time I hit with a student I have been putting as tennis playing, does anyone have a better idea to make this more accurate?

Also, I really appreciate this communities willingness to support and help each other, I have never seen anything like it on the internet. I brought this up to a couple of league teams that I coach, that you need to praise and support as much as possible, because it really helps. Thanks again.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I think how you're calculating it now is perfect. Wait and see how your weight loss goes. If the scale doesn't budge adjust those teaching calories so you calculate to burn to less, if you are losing too fast, or are fatigued up the calories burned. I have found that this site is just a guidline and you will inevitably have to play around with calories a bit to find your perfect fit.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I agree, see how your weight loss goes. I take a day a week to just clean house and I add that into my exercise base for the day, I did get up and get moving. Also, you may want to do the calories and "general walking", this is the calories burned for say someone who is taking a stroll through a mall or something, it's not very many calories but it counts.

If your calories that you are given each day include this moderate activity already then you may not want to count them (you know when you started and chose if you were active, light, sedentary). In that case you will want to really stick to the calories given to you and if you want more you have to put in some more exercise.

Let us know how it goes because now you have me curious! :laugh: