Putting on weight despite exercising

Options
I am putting on weight despite exercising and eating well. Seems to be 1lb every second day. Why is this? I'm running, doing strength training and eating healthy. I have the odd takeaway and drinks at weekend. I've always been skiing at around 113 lbs

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eat healthy doesn't guarantee a calorie deficit...neither does exercise.
    Are you logging? accurately and consistently? in a deficit?
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Weight loss occurs from a caloric deficit - that is, consuming less calories than you burn. It's really easy to assume that exercising burns so many calories that you should be able to eat what you want (especially if you are choosing "healthy" foods) but the truth is that you can put on weight from eating too much.

Also, it's unlikely that you would be putting on that much weight in fat so quickly - it's much much more likely that your muscles are retaining water to help them repair. This is common when you start a new exercise routine, and you will likely lose this water weight naturally.

My advice is: set up your MyFitnessPal account with your stats and goals, and eat the number of calories it calculates for you (using a kitchen scale to weigh your foods, rather than estimating which is very inaccurate), then have patience and stick to it :)
  • SillyTree
    SillyTree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's pretty tough to answer without knowing more details...
    Taking in more calories than you think perhaps??? Sauces, dips, dressings, alcohol, etc...??
    How long have you been doing your exercising and eating this way for??? Has it been longer than a month???
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess it's the takeaway and drinks.

Try counting your calories or skipping the drinks and takeaways.
  • SillyTree
    SillyTree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with ammo... That's why I was wondering how long you've been on this regiment... If it hasn't been too long, your muscles are definitely going to retain water and you'll become swollen and bigger for a short period of time... Which is why a lot of people bail on strength training... But if you stick with it, you come out the other side in way better shape with a way better physique... If you're gaining weight that quickly, there is a good chance that it is just water weight like ammo said... Give it a month, and you'll see the difference. Everybody goes through that...
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    In 2012, I exercised 50 minutes a day on average, mostly moderate to intense cycling. I was eating healthy, home-cooked food. I gained 10 lb. Why? Exercise increased my appetite.

In 2013 and 2014, I continued to exercise and eat healthy food, and I lost 65 pounds, because I counted calories and ensured I had a consistent deficit.
  • tjrifewtbast
    tjrifewtbast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Muscle my guess
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Muscle my guess

Muscle cannot grow at the rate of a lb every 2 days! Maybe 1-2lbs of quality muscle a month!
  • ffitzmaurice
    ffitzmaurice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice and feedback!! I have in fact started a new work out routine in the past two weeks so maybe this is it but it seems to have been immediate weight gain which has me freaked out. The alcohol and takeaway is very infrequent and I don't think would add weight like that so quickly when I exercise frequently. Based on all the feedback it must be water retention from the new regime I'm doing. How long does this last? When will I see my weight go down? I don't remember this happening to me before when starting a new work out regime.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale, log accurately, work out, and it will come.