edited October 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    I have lived in three provinces in Canada. Every doctor I have had recommends a yearly physical. I also have 4 children that had physicals (wellness exams) every year from birth and up. Great health care and great doctors.
    Several people here have said that Canadians cannot go to the doctor unless they're sick. One said that kids could and people over a certain age (I forget the number, but she gave me one, 40 or 50-something) could go, but everyone else had to be actually exhibiting symptoms of illness/disease in order to see a doctor.

When the first person said it, I thought, "This person is an idiot. Canada isn't a third-world country. They must have wellness checkups." But then one after another Canadian poster has showed up to say so. Some are even, "Oh, you Americans, thinking everyone can live the way you do," about it, lol.

It did seem particularly backwards and willfully - almost nefariously - negligent (in this day and age) to deny people basic, standard, preventative medical care, but SO MANY people have said that is how it goes up there.

You're the first person to say, "Canadians can get wellness checkups."

I don't know what to believe, honestly.

They are not called wellness exams in Canada they are yearly physicals. Maybe there is some confusion there. I don't know who you have spoken to however you have the wrong information. A comment like "Some people only go to the doctor when they are sick." maybe be more appropriate when speaking about a country you don't live in. You did give my husband and I a good laugh today. Thank you. :D

Edit to add: I honestly hope there are no more comments about the health care system. Please and thank you.

The people who said it claimed to be Canadians.

I use the terms "wellness checkup" and "physical" interchangeably. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I hope that you are right. That's what I assumed in the first place. It's the way it ought to be! :)

Edit:

I've been googling. I'm the last person to pretend that googling is a substitute for real knowledge! But this article says that some Canadians can get physicals and some can't. Is that the difference? Maybe you live in a different place than these they people did? And none of you knew that it is different in different places?

So, you were in places where you could get checkups, but they were in places where they couldn't...and all of you thought that the whole country was working the way did where you lived?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/is-an-annual-physical-necessary-the-doctor-is-out-on-that-one-1.2017959
    The College of Family Physicians of Canada doesn’t have a national policy on how often patients should receive checkups, so around the rest of the country, there’s a hodge-podge of policies.
    Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland and Labrador no longer cover annual physicals in patients without symptoms of illness. But they are covered in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, and the Northwest Territories.

Maybe the article is wrong?

There has to be a reason different Canadians are saying completely different things about their health care system.

The article says that the check ups are not covered by the government, not that people can't go.
    That's true.

Maybe those people just didn't know what they were talking about. Maybe when they said they "couldn't" do that, they meant that they couldn't do it unless they paid for it.

That makes a lot more sense than anything else has. :)

I found another article that says the yearly physical in New Brunswick costs $125. How much is your monthly health insurance? (I don't actually want an answer, I am simply pointing out that you have come across rather unknowing and somewhat superior sounding in this situation). Each system has good and bad points. I whole heartedly feel that the Canadian system needs some major overhauls to reduce cost and wait times, but that in general it tends to meet most needs of the people. The average cost of a stay in hospital in Canada does tend to be lower, however, there are some quality variances depending on where you are and what conditions you have.

My apologies to OP. This doesn't need to be a fight regarding system comparisons.

Since I'm here causing a ruckus, I should answer your questions.

I take 2000U of Vitamin D, due a deficiency, a multivitamin, a B complex, Fish oil, and occasional protein powder to meet my goals. I was on a thyroid and adrenal support, but haven't had a follow up in some time.

Edited for unnecessary snark removal.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have lived in three provinces in Canada. Every doctor I have had recommends a yearly physical. I also have 4 children that had physicals (wellness exams) every year from birth and up. Great health care and great doctors.
    Several people here have said that Canadians cannot go to the doctor unless they're sick. One said that kids could and people over a certain age (I forget the number, but she gave me one, 40 or 50-something) could go, but everyone else had to be actually exhibiting symptoms of illness/disease in order to see a doctor.

When the first person said it, I thought, "This person is an idiot. Canada isn't a third-world country. They must have wellness checkups." But then one after another Canadian poster has showed up to say so. Some are even, "Oh, you Americans, thinking everyone can live the way you do," about it, lol.

It did seem particularly backwards and willfully - almost nefariously - negligent (in this day and age) to deny people basic, standard, preventative medical care, but SO MANY people have said that is how it goes up there.

They are not called wellness exams in Canada they are yearly physicals. Maybe there is some confusion there. I don't know who you have spoken to however you have the wrong information. A comment like "Some people only go to the doctor when they are sick." maybe be more appropriate when speaking about a country you don't live in. You did give my husband and I a good laugh today. Thank you. :D

Edit to add: I honestly hope there are no more comments about the health care system. Please and thank you.

I use the terms "wellness checkup" and "physical" interchangeably. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I hope that you are right. That's what I assumed in the first place. It's the way it ought to be! :)

Edit:

I've been googling. I'm the last person to pretend that googling is a substitute for real knowledge! But this article says that some Canadians can get physicals and some can't. Is that the difference? Maybe you live in a different place than these they people did? And none of you knew that it is different in different places?

So, you were in places where you could get checkups, but they were in places where they couldn't...and all of you thought that the whole country was working the way did where you lived?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/is-an-annual-physical-necessary-the-doctor-is-out-on-that-one-1.2017959
    The College of Family Physicians of Canada doesn’t have a national policy on how often patients should receive checkups, so around the rest of the country, there’s a hodge-podge of policies.
    Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland and Labrador no longer cover annual physicals in patients without symptoms of illness. But they are covered in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, and the Northwest Territories.

There has to be a reason different Canadians are saying completely different things about their health care system.

The article says that the check ups are not covered by the government, not that people can't go.
    That's true.

Maybe those people just didn't know what they were talking about. Maybe when they said they "couldn't" do that, they meant that they couldn't do it unless they paid for it.

I found another article that says the yearly physical in New Brunswick costs $125. How much is your monthly health insurance? (I don't actually want an answer, I am simply pointing out that you have come across rather unknowing and somewhat superior sounding in this situation). Each system has good and bad points. I whole heartedly feel that the Canadian system needs some major overhauls to reduce cost and wait times, but that in general it tends to meet most needs of the people. The average cost of a stay in hospital in Canada does tend to be lower, however, there are some quality variances depending on where you are and what conditions you have.

My apologies to OP. This doesn't need to be a fight regarding system comparisons.

I take 2000U of Vitamin D, due a deficiency, a multivitamin, a B complex, Fish oil, and occasional protein powder to meet my goals. I was on a thyroid and adrenal support, but haven't had a follow up in some time.

I was intending to come across as "unknowing" because I don't know, lol. You know how loads of people ask questions because they want to get into crazy Internet fights over the answers? It wasn't that. It was me wanting to understand.

I was not comparing America and Canada. I was trying to understand why a bunch of Canadians slam me for assuming they can get physicals and then more Canadians slam me for saying that I was informed that they couldn't. I don't live in Canada. It makes no sense to me.

The group who insisted that you guys cannot get physicals was exceptionally nasty about it, as if thinking that Canadians could get (or would want!) a yearly physical was preposterous American Superiority.

Now you guys come along being not quite as nasty, but saying the complete opposite thing.

Assume Canadians can have physicals, get nasty comments from Canadians. Say that they can't (as you were informed), get nasty comments from Canandians.

I no longer care whether or not Canadians can or cannot get physicals. If I ever want to know, I'll ask someone I can trust.

As for the original answer to the person who asked how you know what supplements you should take, I'll stick with "The doctor will tell you at your yearly physical."

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Edit:

That's true.

I was intending to come across as "unknowing" because I don't know, lol. You know how loads of people ask questions because they want to get into crazy Internet fights over the answers? It wasn't that. It was me wanting to understand.

I was not comparing America and Canada. I was trying to understand why a bunch of Canadians slam me for assuming they can get physicals and then more Canadians slam me for saying that I was informed that they couldn't. I don't live in Canada. It makes no sense to me.

The group who insisted that you guys cannot get physicals was exceptionally nasty about it, as if thinking that Canadians could get (or would want!) a yearly physical was preposterous American Superiority.

Now you guys come along being not quite as nasty, but saying the complete opposite thing.

Assume Canadians can have physicals, get nasty comments from Canadians. Say that they can't (as you were informed), get nasty comments from Canandians.

I no longer care whether or not Canadians can or cannot get physicals. If I ever want to know, I'll ask someone I can trust.

As for the original answer to the person who asked how you know what supplements you should take, I'll stick with "The doctor will tell you at your yearly physical."

Yeah, I have been feeling particularly irritated today, which is why I edited out the excessive snark that was in there (yes there was worse than what I left up). I have no doubt that access to care across the country is widely variable. The territories are particularly underserved. The actual delivery of care is under provincial mandate with some overlying principles which are not evenly applied.

As for people asking questions to get into internet fights, you've been around here long enough to know how things role here. :laugh:
  • MTmimi
    MTmimi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Looks like there' some conflicting views here about the Canadian health system. I appreciate the concern from my friend in the US- and I looked into what is happening here.

The doctors here (in Ontario) do run blood tests- even if you are healthy- but apparently only once every three years- if you ask for it (as I did late last month).

I was getting an annual check-up, with blood tests, but then my doctor recently told me (late last month) I only need to go every three years.

It appears that the Ontario government decided (in 2012) that "healthy adults" between 18 and 64 only need to get physicals every three years based on the findings of some Danish study. This is also a cost cutting measure, and some of the money saved (on healthy adults) is being re-directed toward seniors. The other piece to this puzzle- is that you can see your doctor every year as a healthy adult- but it is basically for a conversation- and the clinic gets less money to see you. Obviously some clinics- like mine- have decided that it is not worth seeing healthy adults to have that conversation.

So that's the situation folks. Our Canadian health care system is not what it used to be.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Whey and casein protein
    Fish oil
    ZMA
    multivitamin
    Beta alanine
    Taurine
    Arginine
    Creatine MH
    BCAAs

Whey, fishoil, ZMA, and BCAAs for recovery, and reduced imflamation(fishoil)

ZMA and multivitamin for extra minerals and nutrients.

Creatine for increased ATP levels for increased set recovery times

Taurine for the extra mental focus and to counteract the brain fog from beta alanine supplementation. Also some pump

Arginine for Intra workout blood flow and pump, also for possibly increased HGH levels when taken before bed on an empty stomach

Beta alanine for increased carnosine levels for greater muscular endurance.

They all help in a slight amount and I personally enjoy the way all of them effect my workout performance and mental focus, do to long hours at work then hitting the gym afterwards.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    MTmimi wrote: »
    Looks like there' some conflicting views here about the Canadian health system. I appreciate the concern from my friend in the US- and I looked into what is happening here.

The doctors here (in Ontario) do run blood tests- even if you are healthy- but apparently only once every three years- if you ask for it (as I did late last month).

I was getting an annual check-up, with blood tests, but then my doctor recently told me (late last month) I only need to go every three years.

It appears that the Ontario government decided (in 2012) that "healthy adults" between 18 and 64 only need to get physicals every three years based on the findings of some Danish study. This is also a cost cutting measure, and some of the money saved (on healthy adults) is being re-directed toward seniors. The other piece to this puzzle- is that you can see your doctor every year as a healthy adult- but it is basically for a conversation- and the clinic gets less money to see you. Obviously some clinics- like mine- have decided that it is not worth seeing healthy adults to have that conversation.

So that's the situation folks. Our Canadian health care system is not what it used to be.

Should I give you an intelligent guess as to whom your friend in the U.S. may be? lol Your post is about Ontario and not the case in the rest of Canada. I did state that this is a thread about supplements also.
  • try_harderG
    try_harderG Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Your Dr would go with the dra (daily recommend allowance) which was produced a long time ago. People have changed a lot since then, height, weight, etc so o believe their stats are nollonger accurate
    I'm guessing you're Canadian. In the US, we say RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) and the RDAs are more geared to average recommendations by the government on what the average person should try to eat. They aren't specific to any one individual and have nothing to do with what doctors do when there are deficiencies.

I've been told by other posters that in Canada, you cannot get wellness check-ups until you're middle-aged, so I don't know how you'd know if you were low on something in Canada and am not even going to try to advise anyone. Another poster said you guys have to wait until you're actually feeling sick, so I guess you'd wait until you had rickets or scurvy or something? I really don't know how they're practicing medicine up there. By I've been told more than once that Canadians cannot see a doctor until they're sick, so it would make sense to guess and take whatever supplements you guess you need.

In the US, we can go to the doctor every year. He runs the blood. If you're low, he will treat the deficiency. But that has nothing to do with RDAs, really. It's the easiest and most sensible way to know what supplements you might need.

Clearly gone off topic!
    It was more an interest of mine. As lots,of people won't take enough and some people will take to much.
    I live in the UK and we don't have health checks yearly. I personally haven't been to the doctors in over 10 years. Why? Because I'm healthy and,look after myself :smiley:
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the last time I had blood work done and physicals every 3 years is just fine with me! I'm Canadian and besides physicals and tests, I can go to my doctor whenever I want and it's free of charge. The only time I generally go is when I've injured my knee or something. I'm hardly ever sick.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    What supplements do you use and why?

I'm recovering from a traumatic chest injury that resulted in deep bruising of the pectoral muscles so I've added Rutin to my daily multi-vitamin. The muscles are fed by our capillaries (I'm told) and Rutin is said to improve capillary function.

If I could just stop using those muscles (even running the vacuum cleaner, pulling weeds in the garden etc. is painful), I'd probably heal faster but that's just not going to happen.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Protein powder daily.
    Women's vitamins.
    Fish Oil.
    Cinnamon.

Protein powder just helps to give my body a Kickstart for the day. And found out, if I skip it, I get headaches.
    Women's vitamins is something my mom was telling me as a teen that I would have to take calcium pills cause our family has a calcium deficiency. And after more research, and me not really eating my fruits and veggies. I decided to opt for it.
    The fish oil was just another research. It's generally good for your heart. So I went with it.
    The cinnamon I have been on for a year because my physical came back with a Glucose reading of 101. When it's supposed to be below 100. I knew the reason was due to my eating sweets. So I majorly cut back then got on cinnamon because it does help with blood sugar levels and glucose levels.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin
    Vitamin D
    Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc
    B-Vitamin
    Iron
    Glucosamine/Chondroitan/MSM
    Biotin
    Turmeric/Ginger
    Tart Cherry
  • MTmimi
    Options

Should I give you an intelligent guess as to whom your friend in the U.S. may be? lol Your post is about Ontario and not the case in the rest of Canada. I did state that this is a thread about supplements also.

• MTmimi
    Options
    Yes, that's right Deb, my post is about Ontario, where 40 per cent of Canadians live. It looks like you and your family have the benefit of living and in Canada's wealthiest province, with the best health system. We are not all so fortunate. And many of us in Ontario are in the dark about which vitamins we need to take, due to recent cuts. Ironically, there is more pressure for us to stay healthy here, because our hospitals aren't exactly "state-of-the art" either.
  • MVG821
    MVG821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I take these on a daily basis

Animal Flex - Joint Support
    Animal Pak - Daily Multivitamin
    Optimum Whey - For those protein gains
    C4 - pre workout especially on my low carb days