Waist Measurements

Options
For a 5'4'' female, what is the "ideal" waist measurement? For health, and for vanity.

Replies

• entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    For health a female waist should be less than 31.5"/80cm and your waist:hip ratio should be less than 0.8 (divide waist circumference by hip circumference)
    For vanity? I could be here all day talking about that one lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your bone structure. I know I'll never be able to have less than a 29 inch waist, for example.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    gotta agree with Francl27. it depends on your bone structure.for health a woman is supposed to have less than a 35inch waist,per all the studies on health and heart disease. but its going to depend on the person and how they are built like Francl said. there is not a one size for everyone. everyones measurements will vary.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    'They' say that the ideal measurements for women are:
    Waist - 38% of your height (natural waist measured at narrowest part of torso)
    Shoulders - 62% of your height (measured at about armpit level)
    Lean Body Mass (in Kg) - (height in meters) cubed x 10
    Body Fat- 20%

So for me at 5'5' =65in=1.651m, my ideal dimensions would be:
    Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs
    Using above LBM, at 20% Body Fat, ideal weight=99/0.8=124 lbs

I'm roughly down to these so called ideal measurements but personally would prefer to be at 17% body fat so that's what I'm working on.

So, to answer your question OP, at 5'4'=64 inches, your ideal waist is 64x0.38=24.32inches.
  • CharleneMarie_723
    CharleneMarie_723 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am 33x26x36 at 132lbs. I feel very uncomfortable like this and would much rather be 33x24x35 and low to mid 120s. At least I know that I am "technically" too big. Thanks for your response.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am 33x26x36 at 132lbs. I feel very uncomfortable like this and would much rather be 33x24x35 and low to mid 120s. At least I know that I am "technically" too big. Thanks for your response.

I don't think you're technically "too big". There is no one size fits all and as stated above, it will vary with bone structure.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

I'm roughly down to these so called ideal measurements but personally would prefer to be at 17% body fat so that's what I'm working on.

So, to answer your question OP, at 5'4'=64 inches, your ideal waist is 64x0.38=24.32inches.

Those are awful. I wonder what 'they' say I should do about my 18" (bony) shoulders bone-to-bone across the front (I'm 5'6")? They aren't leaving me a lot of room for any circumference, humerus or delts, lol. That's before you'd get to any fat layer on top.

There are so many beautiful women in the world with different shapes that there's no way to have one set of ideal measurements. They also aren't all 20%BF by any stretch of the imagination.

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Good to know about the waist to hip ratio! Mine is in the 0.8 or less category. My waist circumference, on the other hand....LOL. We won't talk about that.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

Yikes.
    At 5'0", that would put my waist at less than 23". And with an "ideal" weight of well under 100 lbs. I think I was that size when I was 14, and I was a tiny kid. No way in heck am I losing 10 lbs of muscle to get to that LBM target :P
  • Francl27
    Options
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

HAHAHA what a load of BS.

24 inches waist? Where do you even get that stuff? My bones are wider than that!

And 20% body fat ideal? WTF? Anything under 30% is considered normal, as far as I know...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

I've never heard of these "ideals." Where do they come from? I'm entertained by them more than anything.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

I've never heard of these "ideals." Where do they come from? I'm entertained by them more than anything.

Someone's imagination, I think. Even quick basic research contradicts the body fat % part... under 30% is healthy, and between 21% and 24% for real fitness.
  • Stacescotty
    Stacescotty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's medically advised to maintain a waist circumference that's no more than half your height. Google "waist to height ratio".
  • Traveler120
    Options
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

Those are awful. I wonder what 'they' say I should do about my 18" (bony) shoulders bone-to-bone across the front (I'm 5'6")? They aren't leaving me a lot of room for any circumference, humerus or delts, lol. That's before you'd get to any fat layer on top.

There are so many beautiful women in the world with different shapes that there's no way to have one set of ideal measurements. They also aren't all 20%BF by any stretch of the imagination.
    We're talking about circumference! Do you measure your waist or hips from one side to the other? No? So why would you measure your shoulders from one to the other?
  • Traveler120
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jdleanna wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

Someone's imagination, I think. Even quick basic research contradicts the body fat % part... under 30% is healthy, and between 21% and 24% for real fitness.
    The American Council on Exercise has categorized the range of body fat percentages as follows:

Description Women / Men
    Essential fat 12-15% / 2-5%
    Athletes 16-20% / 6-13%
    Fitness 21-24% / 14-17%
    Acceptable 25-31% / 18-25%
    Obese 32%+ / 25%+

20% is right in the middle of the athletic and fitness range. I'd call that ideal. I know that for me, I find athletic and fit bodies very good looking. Most people do. Maybe that's where the number came from?
  • Traveler120
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

24 inches waist? Where do you even get that stuff? My bones are wider than that!

And 20% body fat ideal? WTF? Anything under 30% is considered normal, as far as I know...

That's what this "big boned" guy has been telling himself.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEIL7Wwol6n89l6c8tnVpRob5ATRoqibMWS5wNqV9kKnKBvjPaiToB-Q
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

My stats: 34 - 25 - 39! 128lbs. Some of us got curves and that ain't ever gonna change! I'd need to go disgustingly thin to loose my booty! A waist to hip ratio says I'm under weight which is ridiculous! So try not to get hung up on measurements, just go with how you feel about yourself :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

That's what this "big boned" guy has been telling himself.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEIL7Wwol6n89l6c8tnVpRob5ATRoqibMWS5wNqV9kKnKBvjPaiToB-Q

Except I have maybe 24% body fat. I could *maybe* get down to 28 inches if I went down to 20% body fat, but I don't care enough to (and I'm too hungry to have a bigger deficit anyway).

So try again...

Yeah I'm 34x30x36 at 133 pounds so... I'm 5'5".

I guess I could take a saw and saw off my ribcage to get that 24 inch waist though. It just sounds kinda messy.

Have you all every heard of that thing called 'genetics'?
  • Traveler120
    Options

You're welcome. And yeah, 8-10 lbs should get you there. If I had an hourglass figure like you, I'd stop where I am now at 124, but since I have an apple shape, my hips are already down to 34 which is good enough for me, but I still have an inch or so of belly fat that shouldn't be there. So I have to push my body fat down further to get to a comfortable place. My waist is 25.5 and I think it needs to be at 24 to be just right for my body shape and that's going to require another 8 or so lbs off as well.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Body Fat- 20%

Waist - 25 inches
    Shoulders - 40 inches
    LBM - 45kg=99 lbs

We're talking about circumference! Do you measure your waist or hips from one side to the other? No? So why would you measure your shoulders from one to the other?

It was for a tailor. I've never measured it for weightloss as I've never had a problem with weight in that particular area.

But you can already see by doubling my linear shoulder number that the 'ideal' doesn't leave enough room for other body parts like arms when considering my circumference ;)