what body fat percentage to start cutting?

Options
So I am a 5'6-5'7 female, 153 pounds and 24℅ bfp, iv only been lifting over 2 months. I was actually 4 weeks in to my bulk, but I read on one of the threads that after 25% bfp I will basically be putting on fat.. I tried to do some research on it to see whether I should carry on a bulk or start a cut and couldn't find much info. As I'm fairly new to lifting shall I maintain to build a muscle foundation or start cutting?

Thank you

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You pretty much put on some fat no matter what when you are in a caloric surplus. 25% is a suggested top end of bulking range for women - mainly due to not wanting to get too high in BF% as you need to cut more the higher you are and as it becomes a little less efficient for want of a better word. What BF% and weight did you start at? 4 weeks is very short for a bulk. A lot of the decision as to when to bulk/cut is very individual - how are you feeling at your current weight. You are very new to lifting and I would have suggested that you not try to bulk for a while - you can get newbie gains at first so you do not really need to be in a caloric surplus to make decent gains. If I were you, I would either try to do a slow cut or even sit where you are for a while. I would not bulk any more in your situation.
  • diyadiamonds
    diyadiamonds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    You pretty much put on some fat no matter what when you are in a caloric surplus. 25% is a suggested top end of bulking range for women - mainly due to not wanting to get too high in BF% as you need to cut more the higher you are and as it becomes a little less efficient for want of a better word. What BF% and weight did you start at? 4 weeks is very short for a bulk. A lot of the decision as to when to bulk/cut is very individual - how are you feeling at your current weight. You are very new to lifting and I would have suggested that you not try to bulk for a while - you can get newbie gains at first so you do not really need to be in a caloric surplus to make decent gains. If I were you, I would either try to do a slow cut or even sit where you are for a while. I would not bulk any more in your situation.

So I was told by someone that if I want to put on muscle I need to start bulking, I actually still look slim as I have wide hips and my weight sits mostly there. I'll probably just eat at maintenance and do more cardio to bring BF% down then do a bulk. Tbh bulking was getting be super depressed
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I was in the same situation I'm 5'1 and weigh 122lbs I'm roughly about 22.7% maybe 23% and was thinking of bulking too (I'm still cutting but will end this in a few weeks) I'm fairly new to lifting and was doing loads of cardio but too much of it is just burning loads of calories for me ( I'm burning about 600/700 cals at a time about 3/4 times a week) so I'm losing a lot of weight when I don't want to anymore.. so I decided to drop the cardio back to 1 day a week and the odd 10 minute HIIT run after weights .. I'm doing ICF 5x5 programme 3x a week and do one kettlebell workout a week and 1 day of running and have been for about 5/6 weeks now and have seen a massive difference in strength and have seen a little gain in muscle. I plan on maintaining for as long as possible and Dropping body fat.. For as long as I possibly can before there is no option but to bulk. There's no rush for these things and it will just be nice to eat a little more :)
  • Samm471
    edited October 2015
    Options

So I was told by someone that if I want to put on muscle I need to start bulking, I actually still look slim as I have wide hips and my weight sits mostly there. I'll probably just eat at maintenance and do more cardio to bring BF% down then do a bulk. Tbh bulking was getting be super depressed

Being new you can make newbie gains and drop fat it's like a golden time for new lifters so we should take advantage of it. Just work as hard as possible in that gym .. You should try a 5x5 programme it will work wonders for you :) in about 6 weeks of doing this I've upped my squats from 30kg to 60kg so the strength gains are unbelievable on these type of programmes well they have been for me anyway. Good luck :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    So when I started lifting I was about 24% BF. I ate at a small deficit for probably over a year and followed a program with progressive overload (5/3/1 specifically). I definitely lost BF (I haven't retested, but based on math, assuming I put on NO muscle or LBM), I'm around 21%. I made huge strength gains in that year. I've started tinker around with calories, and have been able to increase my calories about 300/400 per day without putting on "weight." I'm still making strength gains. At 24% BF, I definitely wouldn't suggest trying to bulk. I don't think you'll be happy with the results. If you're looking for strength gains, focus on progressive overload.
  • diyadiamonds
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

Being new you can make newbie gains and drop fat it's like a golden time for new lifters so we should take advantage of it. Just work as hard as possible in that gym .. You should try a 5x5 programme it will work wonders for you :) in about 6 weeks of doing this I've upped my squats from 30kg to 60kg so the strength gains are unbelievable on these type of programmes well they have been for me anyway. Good luck :)

Aw that's great. I actually train with my uncle at the gym so he treats me as if its a male he's training
  • Samm471
    Options

Aw that's great. I actually train with my uncle at the gym so he treats me as if its a male he's training

That is awesome haha! You'll learn loads then! It's easier when you have someone who knows what they're doing showing you correct form etc .. For myself I have people help me online but I go to the gym alone. I don't mind I'm enjoying learning myself I love to learn anything new so it's a little challenge but I am getting stronger and had a few NSV's so it's all good :)
  • diyadiamonds
    Options

That is awesome haha! You'll learn loads then! It's easier when you have someone who knows what they're doing showing you correct form etc .. For myself I have people help me online but I go to the gym alone. I don't mind I'm enjoying learning myself I love to learn anything new so it's a little challenge but I am getting stronger and had a few NSV's so it's all good :)

That's wicked! I don't know how you do it! When I was training on my own I'd have people correcting my form which used to make me feel so stupid and embarrassed but now I'm a total BEAST!! Haha

• Samm471
    Options

That's wicked! I don't know how you do it! When I was training on my own I'd have people correcting my form which used to make me feel so stupid and embarrassed but now I'm a total BEAST!! Haha
    Well I'm still new so I have a lot to learn and I just read a hell of a lot I'm constantly reading about things and if you watch people In the gym you can get a rough idea of how your form should be .. Practice makes perfect .. Even the best of people bodybuilders powerlifters etc were all beginners at one point they all started somewhere so there is no shame in doing something wrong or being new it's all a learning curve :)
  • Samm471
    Options
    I don't have anyone correct my form lol in my gym everyone just gets on with it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You can gain muscle at maintenance or, for some, even on a deficit. Many factors determine how quickly/much or if you can on a deficit (gender, lifting age, size of deficit, training program, macros etc). You are in a good position to gain muscle on a deficit as you are new to lifting. People that make blanket statements saying you cannot gain muscle unless on a surplus are just plain wrong. Make sure you are on a good lifting routine that has progressive loading built in.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

You can gain muscle at maintenance or, for some, even on a deficit. Many factors determine how quickly/much or if you can on a deficit (gender, lifting age, size of deficit, training program, macros etc). You are in a good position to gain muscle on a deficit as you are new to lifting. People that make blanket statements saying you cannot gain muscle unless on a surplus are just plain wrong. Make sure you are on a good lifting routine that has progressive loading built in.

Hi
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Hi

Ohai... :wink:
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Now I know this is a little off topic but how heavy are the weights you girls are lifting. The reason I ask is I'm new to lifting too and doing 5x5 programme with mods but noone else at my gym lifts and I don't know if the weight I'm lifting is good or not. I know it all depend on the person but I'm curious as to what others are achieving. Not DL at moment as working on leg press single leg to correct weakness, db bench 12.5kg,db oh press 9kg, front squat 30kg, single arm bench row 9 kg. Gym has limited equipment so mainly working with dB. I'm also 5'10 150lb and 42yrs old. Also hoping to either recomp or bulk once I develop bit more muscle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    Now I know this is a little off topic but how heavy are the weights you girls are lifting. The reason I ask is I'm new to lifting too and doing 5x5 programme with mods but noone else at my gym lifts and I don't know if the weight I'm lifting is good or not. I know it all depend on the person but I'm curious as to what others are achieving. Not DL at moment as working on leg press single leg to correct weakness, db bench 12.5kg,db oh press 9kg, front squat 30kg, single arm bench row 9 kg. Gym has limited equipment so mainly working with dB. I'm also 5'10 150lb and 42yrs old. Also hoping to either recomp or bulk once I develop bit more muscle.

There are honestly so many variables as to how much each person lifts - including how long they have been lifting, form, genetics, muscle mass, ROM of the lift, their routine and consistency, goals, size etc it really is not really beneficial to compare yourself to other people regarding how much you are lifting. The main thing is to progress - increase weight (and reps within a reasonable range) over time and to try to hit all the main muscle groups at least 2 x a week if possible. I find that th big compound barbell movements (squats, deadlifts, bench and OHP) to give the most bang for you buck so to speak - but availability of equipment and personal preference is also a huge factor.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, yes the only one I need to compare myself to is me. And as long as the weights keep going up I'm going forward :)
  • Samm471
    Options
    I agree it's not about how much someone else is lifting. Progression overload is a must though but do not rush. Don't think because you lifted and extra 5kg and done a few sets your ready to move up. Make sue you can lift that weight well before moving up. Rushing causes injury. Also make sure your squeezing those muscles you use its all bout form too .. Lift as heavy as you may but if your form is *kitten* you won't get the results you may want. Just my two scents ;)