Options
2»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    skim milk?
    organic is best

Full-fat or partially skimmed milk is fine too. Fat doesn't make you fat. If it fits your macros, there's no reason to go fat-free with your dairy.

Also, the organic-is-best thing is mostly a myth based on marketing and pseudoscience. Don't buy into it unless you want to. And please don't go around stating your personal beliefs and preferences around things like organic food as scientific fact. In many jurisdictions, the quality control of regular non-organic milk is actually higher. And in lots of places (like here in Canada), there are no growth hormones in regular milk, so buying organic is a completely pointless waste of money.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I mix a scoop of my protein powder with plain greek yogurt for a protein double whammy! Yeah, it is some extra calories but as others have said, something has got to give a little and it shouldn't be the nutrition fruit you have for breakfast.

I tried this. It was nasty. :frowning:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I mix a scoop of my protein powder with plain greek yogurt for a protein double whammy! Yeah, it is some extra calories but as others have said, something has got to give a little and it shouldn't be the nutrition fruit you have for breakfast.

I tried this. It was nasty. :frowning:

Depends on the protein powder, to be honest (and the brand of yogurt, possibly. I use Fage). Same with mixed with oatmeal... it will depend a lot on your powder. When I tried first it was nasty but with Quest powder both are pretty good (oatmeal gets a pudding-like consistency). But seriously, oatmeal with protein powder is great, you get your carbs and a nice protein boost.

Anyway, my goal is 1800 and my protein goal is 112 and I often go over (although honestly, unless you're 150 pounds you really don't need 120g of protein anyway). My diary has been a mess lately though (hormones!), and I tend to eat more a couple days a week anyway, but what I eat for protein...

Greek yogurt (if you don't like the sourness, try Yoplait Greek Whips. Tastes like fruit mousse)
    Kodiak cakes (pancake mix) - I add savory toppings on it (ham and cheese, salmon and cream cheese, cheese etc)
    Fish and shrimp
    Chicken
    Pork chops
    Ground turkey, lean beef, chicken
    Chicken sausage
    Deli meat
    Cauliflower and broccoli
    Beans
    High fiber/protein wraps
    Oatmeal with protein powder (I use Quest)
    Sometimes sirloin steak
    Quest bars and chips
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I've had a look at what i eat and i normally have fruit for breakfast (which is pretty much zero Protein). So what i'll do is replace the fruit with a Protein based meal. Maybe Bacon on Toast or something.

Replacing fruit with bacon might sound tasty, but probably isn't going to improve the nutritional value of your day. I mean, if you want to eat bacon, eat bacon. Just don't pretend that it's a health-related decision.

Crap, this guy is onto me.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut carbs - increase fat, and don't whine. ☺️
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The thing is, i'd like to up my Protein but find it very hard on this amount of calories.
    I don't drink protein shakes and i don't eat eggs or cottage cheese.

If you can't eat protein supplements and are intolerant to dairy, you'll need to find new and inventive ways to eat poultry and fish. Pork and beef are higher in fat. I wouldn't eat a lot of bacon (even turkey bacon) because of the high sodium content and the additives they put into it to make it taste good.

I eat chicken in 100 different ways. Grilled, backed, with salsa, with marinara sauce, BBQ'd, ground into a bunch of other different recipes....

http://traceyfit.blogspot.com/2015/09/nutrition-101.html
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How do you expect us to help you with your diary closed. All we can do is guess and that takes more effort than making suggestions when we know the lie of the land.

Its possible that this extra protein is completely unnecessary but we can't tell if you don't tell us your statistics. If you are in maintenance then even 90grams sounds like rather a lot of protein. Where did you get hte idea that you should eat more protein?
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I think i'll try and eat some form of Protein at breakfast PLUS have some Fruit too.
    I'll probably start eating more Fish/Seafood as well.
    I'm sure i'll get it sorted.
    Thanks for all your advice Guys. :)
    that is how i get most my protien .. seafood can offer more protien with more food..
    just make sure .the ones that need cooking are well cooked and if your saving the seafood in the fridge
    like a seafood salad dont have it for more than couple days to be safe.. i think the fried 1's can go 1 day extra_*

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've actually knocked losing those few pounds on the head... it wasn't really necessary.
    So i'm back to eating 2000 cals a day and eating enough Protein again.
    Thanks for all the "helpful" replies though. :)
    Some Foods listed i didn't think of eating, to be honest.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I haven't boxed myself in, but I still have trouble getting enough protein. I try to eat lots of veg and less meat, and I just don't hit it, ever. But I seem healthy, so I just let it go.