Food after a biopsy of the month

Options
Cynthiamr2015
Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am having a biopsy of my mouth this week and the doctor told me after the procedure is done that I would need to stay away from spicy foods and only eat soft foods. Here is my problem I had to stop taking my blood pressure medication and I am controlling that with diet now. When it comes to soft foods the only thing I can think of is ice cream ( it is smooth and freezes things :) ) . When I asked what foods would be OK to eat I was told I would need to figure that out on my own. Has anyone had to go through this procedure and what did they eat? I really do not want to undo anything that has to do with my weight loss. :neutral:

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Biopsy of month? or mouth?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what a biopsy of a month is, but there are no limits to soft foods.

Applesauce
    Pudding
    Jello
    Mashed potatoes
    Squash
    Oatmeal
    Cream of wheat
    Scrambled eggs
    Bread pudding
    Smoothies
    Bananas

The list goes on. Also, you can purée or cook ANYTHING soft. I have a lot of patients on purée diets and they eat what everyone else eats, just blended up.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Fixed it thank for point that out :)
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Fixed it thank for point that out :)

That makes more sense. My post stands...the list is endless.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I have no idea what a biopsy of a month is, but there are no limits to soft foods.

Applesauce
    Pudding
    Jello
    Mashed potatoes
    Squash
    Oatmeal
    Cream of wheat
    Scrambled eggs
    Bread pudding
    Smoothies
    Bananas

The list goes on. Also, you can purée or cook ANYTHING soft. I have a lot of patients on purée diets and they eat what everyone else eats, just blended up.

Thanks kkenseth for answering me so fast. I just do not want to miss up my weight loss. I do not know how long it will take for the inside of my mouth to heal, it is a big area he will be taking.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Chicken salad, tuna salad, ham salad (cook meat & chop finely), beans, thoroughly cooked vegetables. Ground beef with a gravy. Pudding. Macaroni & cheese.

Technically anything is soft if you chew it enough.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Applesauce
    Pudding
    Jello
    Mashed potatoes
    Squash
    Oatmeal
    Cream of wheat
    Scrambled eggs
    Bread pudding
    Smoothies
    Bananas

Thanks kkenseth for answering me so fast. I just do not want to miss up my weight loss. I do not know how long it will take for the inside of my mouth to heal, it is a big area he will be taking.

You can eat just about anything you normally would. Search "purée diet recipes" and you'll be set. A food processor is useful, or a blender.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had gum surgery at one time and made smoothies for meals.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    Chicken salad, tuna salad, ham salad (cook meat & chop finely), beans, thoroughly cooked vegetables. Ground beef with a gravy. Pudding. Macaroni & cheese.

Technically anything is soft if you chew it enough.

Erfw it has to be soft going in because it will tear up inside my mouth (where it is healing).
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Options
    I had gum surgery at one time and made smoothies for meals.

That sounds more appetizing to me, thanks
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

That makes sense, haha. I figured she was having one a month, of her stomach or esophagus or something else in her digestive system. That may alter my answers a little. She might not be able to chew well, so technically anything can be soft if puréed.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I thought Biopsy Of the Month was written by someone who was sick of medical tests and making a joke...and I thought it was hilarious. But, obviously, it was a typo.

Ask the doctor about what kind of foods you should eat. Hope all goes well.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can also google soft foods for after bariatric surgery and that will give you a lot of options.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I thought Biopsy Of the Month was written by someone who was sick of medical tests and making a joke...and I thought it was hilarious. But, obviously, it was a typo.

Ask the doctor about what kind of foods you should eat. Hope all goes well.

I did ask my doctor but he told me I would have to find stuff on my own. When I go in they might give me more info on what to eat. I think I have enough info here to help me find stuff at the store. Thanks :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Applesauce
    Pudding
    Jello
    Mashed potatoes
    Squash
    Oatmeal
    Cream of wheat
    Scrambled eggs
    Bread pudding
    Smoothies
    Bananas

This is a great list. I would definitely add greek yogurt to it, and not too hot soups.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Applesauce
    Pudding
    Jello
    Mashed potatoes
    Squash
    Oatmeal
    Cream of wheat
    Scrambled eggs
    Bread pudding
    Smoothies
    Bananas

This is a great list. I would definitely add greek yogurt to it, and not too hot soups.

How did I forget yogurt? Good additions.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Options
    I need to watch my cholesterol, sugar and salt intake, so these are OK? I do not have high cholesterol nor do I want that problem. :)
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    I need to watch my cholesterol, sugar and salt intake, so these are OK? I do not have high cholesterol nor do I want that problem. :)

That's between you and your doctor. Everyone's nutrient needs are different, so find out how much of those things your doctor feels are appropriate daily and log in MFP so you can stick to those numbers.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

If you are watching sugar intake you will need to be careful with fruit smoothies, and for salt, be careful with your soup selection. For the jello and pudding, you could go with sugar free varieties.

This is just going to be something that you will need to run the numbers for yourself and figure out which things best suit your needs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Smoothie
    1 cup of milk
    2 cups Water
    1 cup Oats
    1 Tablespoon Peanut butter

Avocado and Spinach Smoothie
    ½ cucumber, chopped
    ½ avocado, pitted and peeled
    2 cups raw spinach