I ran a 30 minute 5k... reaching fitness goals

Options
This may not be impressive to some but to me it is an accomplishment. I still consider myself to be fairly heavy at 186lbs and 5'6" and I didn't think it would be possible for me to achieve a goal like this. I had to run at 6mph the entire time which was really tough. I feel like I reached a fitness milestone and I felt so good afterwards. Now my goal is to do it without struggling so much because by the last mile I really had to push hard.

What is a fitness goal you're really proud of?

Replies

• Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well done!
    My first goal was to start running when I reached a certain weight. I've now managed to get up to a regular 3.5k at a 6min pace. Dead chuffed considering I struggled to get up the stairs without panting at the beginning of the year.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Well done. My main goals have usually been distance related - e.g. I want to run a 5K, then a 10K, and now a half marathon. Although I'm always happy with the small things, like increasing weights for squats or hip thrusts, or swimming 25 lengths a little quicker than last time.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Congratulations! It is impressive to me, since that is one of my goals that I have not yet reached.

I have reached goals of just being able to run a 5k continuously with no walking. I've also run five or six miles a handful of times. Now I am working on being able to run farther on a regular basis, and eventually getting faster.
  • kimjacques2
    kimjacques2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well done! It's so good to have reached a goal! Have you got a new one to focus on? I'm love running and think it's a real accomplishment to do it!
  • JRitaK
    JRitaK Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Spike_G wrote: »
    Well done!
    My first goal was to start running when I reached a certain weight. I've now managed to get up to a regular 3.5k at a 6min pace. Dead chuffed considering I struggled to get up the stairs without panting at the beginning of the year.

Wooow, a 6 min pace? That is crazy!! Good for you!
  • JRitaK
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Well done. My main goals have usually been distance related - e.g. I want to run a 5K, then a 10K, and now a half marathon. Although I'm always happy with the small things, like increasing weights for squats or hip thrusts, or swimming 25 lengths a little quicker than last time.

Mine are distance and speed, I suppose. My first goal was just doing a 5k and then my second goal was a 30 minute 5k. I'm also happy with the small things, too. Like every time I run reducing my 5k time until I hit the 30 minute mark.
  • JRitaK
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Congratulations! It is impressive to me, since that is one of my goals that I have not yet reached.

I have reached goals of just being able to run a 5k continuously with no walking. I've also run five or six miles a handful of times. Now I am working on being able to run farther on a regular basis, and eventually getting faster.

Thank you! I am hoping to get under a 30 minute 5K now.

@kim : I really love running, too. My next goal is to run my 5k without struggling at the end.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Reaching these personal milestones is so rewarding!

I still remember the first time I was able to complete a 5km loop I used to do all the time while feeling great the entire time. I practically gushed with happiness to my wife who was with me.

What had seemed so impossible at the start - getting back into running after gaining a ton of weight - turned out not to be impossible at all but that realization in no way diminished the feeling of accomplishment and joy I felt. And still feel...
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! That is awesome!!
    I did a 15K today. I'm a "heavy" runner too, especially right now (about 15lb extra.) For me being able to just go out and run while the miles tick off is something I'm proud of. The longest distance I've done is a 1/2 marathon and I was pretty proud of that too!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running is a cruel mistress, now that you've cracked 30 minutes you'll start getting crazy ideas like beating 25:00 or running a 10K (or longer....)!

Congratulations on a great result!

• SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant, we'll done :)
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    *high five* That's so awesome! Congratulations!!! Reaching those milestones makes it all worth it.

I'm pretty jazzed that today on a regular run I got a 5 min 10k PR B)
    Technically it's not a lifetime PR but it's pretty good for recent history
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Awesome and congrats!! I had the same goal and it took me forever to get there. But I finally made it 2 years ago (29:10). Then I had a baby, got busy/lazy and stopped training, and now I'm back down to a 37 minute 5k :( Curfent goals are getting back to a sub 30 5k, then a 2:30 half marathon, then a 5 hour full.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I don't care what one's body make up is . . . to run any distance at that pace and live to tell about it is amazing!

I'm chasing the sub-30 minute 5K. I'm getting there. My 1st ever 5K was 36.35 (in Sep 2014)...this past Sep, I ran that same race at 32.28 . . . I ran a 5K this past weekend at 31.12. My next race is a half . . . I'm hoping to beat my previous 2:28.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! Good for you and your hard work! My current fitness goal in regards to running (which I just started trying to do again) is to run for 10 minutes without having to stop or feel like dying. :smile: I might have to work on slowing down my pace though, as I'm more of a sprinter than a long-distance runner (which I want to become).

• oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good for you, that's a good time for a 5k. And at 6mph pace? What a great pace to keep up. Keep it up and you'll see how much faster you can get over time if that's your goal. I ran a half marathon two years ago in 1:33:20 and is my fastest time to date. Very proud of that which for me at 45 is not bad. Still looking to break 1:30:00 next year.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    great work. i just did 5k but 5.4 mph.
    I also did 10k on saturday 5.2 mph
    and now I'm working on the HM. I'm hoping to stay about 5.0 mph
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I only started running in June and my first official 5k is coming up in two weeks so my goal at the moment is to finish it without walking parts of it and maybe not being last to cross the finish line. After that I want to concentrate on increasing the distance of my runs and by that getting a bit faster.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i saw a shirt that said on the back
    "please tell me someone is reading this"