Motivation and Goals

Options
tracoleman99
tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
edited October 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
It took me close to 1 1/2 years to lose all the weight I wanted to lose. Since June I have been successfully maintaining my weight. Part of this journey has been setting fitness goals. I've recently accomplished just about all of my fitness goals and now I'm like, "What do I do next?" I can't run (bad knee). The weather has been crappy and is getting colder, so without cold gear, I can't ride my bike. What do you do to keep your motivation up? I'm not sure what new goals I want to set. "Maintaining" is so vague.

[Link removed by MFP Mods]

Replies

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and maintenance. What other fitness goals have you already achieved? Have you considered weight-lifting for increased strength?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Find something else you can do indoors?
    That's what I do as our weather is cr@p 80% of the time (from Ireland, enough said! )
    For me I use youtube workouts - for strength training /yoga/ circuit training / and walks/ runs.

I also have a good workout buddy (a mfp/cyber friend), we agree as to what workout and when we'll do them then we report back on how we got on....this keeps both of us motivated :smile:

I've been maintaining for over 2 years.
  • tracoleman99
    Options
    On top of losing weight, my fitness goals have been as follows:
    #1 - to do Rugged Maniac (a 5K mud run obstacle course)
    #2 - to be able to do push-ups (three sets of 10)
    #3 - to do pull-ups (I can now do several sets, maxing at 5)
    #4 - to do a 100 mile bike ride from Springfield, MA to Boston, MA

All of these have been accomplished.

I do lift weights, and I am considering Yoga to add to my routine. Improving flexibility.

I like measurable goals. So I'm looking for something specific that I can attain. I'll keep looking into it. Somewhat considering cross country skiing when the weather gets there, but that's a big investment of equipment.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations OP!

I agree with RunRutheeRun with try working out indoors.

What works for me is lifting weights progressively, using challenging 90 day DVD systems or Youtube workouts and setting new goals for body weight exercises (increased pull ups, longer planks, more one-legged tricep dips etc.)

I also do lighter workouts such as walking videos and Pilates as well. Mixing things up keeps me from getting bored.

Having fitness buddies can help. We report to each other and it helps with motivation.

To keep my motivation up I try on my old pair of shorts that were getting tight on me when I started and now I can fit comfortably in one leg and I also look at old photos. I don't have many at my largest size, but it reminds me that I can not go back there.

This all has helped me tremendously to maintain my weight for the past 2.5 years.

Wishing you the best of luck!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Every single day for the last several years I have gotten on the scale, looked at it, and been in that 5 pound weight zone I set for myself as my goal. And every single morning, I say YES! and get to do the happy dance.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Pump iron.
  • tracoleman99
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Every single day for the last several years I have gotten on the scale, looked at it, and been in that 5 pound weight zone I set for myself as my goal. And every single morning, I say YES! and get to do the happy dance.

I love it!!!! I like the 5 lb. zone because I was becoming completely obsessed with the scale and stopped weighing myself, except once a week because the daily fluctuations made me nuts. I think I can do that...."YES!" That's a great idea!!!

• tracoleman99
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    Congratulations OP!

What works for me is lifting weights progressively, using challenging 90 day DVD systems or Youtube workouts and setting new goals for body weight exercises (increased pull ups, longer planks, more one-legged tricep dips etc.)

Having fitness buddies can help. We report to each other and it helps with motivation.

To keep my motivation up I try on my old pair of shorts that were getting tight on me when I started and now I can fit comfortably in one leg and I also look at old photos. I don't have many at my largest size, but it reminds me that I can not go back there.

That's a really good idea, re: progressive weights. I need to figure out what are realistic, measurable goals, since I feel like I plateau quickly with the weight lifting.

I'd have to find a fitness buddy online, although my cousin is a weight lifter and I could compare with her. None of my friends are interested in weight lifting and many of them are overweight or obese and not interested in losing weight.

I love that you kept a pair of old shorts. I have my Size 18 jeans that I put on occasionally and compare with where I am today. It really is a good reminder!!!
  • tracoleman99
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Pump iron.
    Amen!! :smiley:
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    lifting weights...