What do YOU eat when you're hungry?

Options
So I am am just over a month into this and I see a pattern developing.My meals for the most part are balanced and fairly nutritious. Then I get hungry and blow it on a cookie or snack bar full of empty calories. So I need some suggestions of snacks I can keep on standby to kill my carb craving and help fill me up. Any suggestions?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How is your protein and fat intake. Higher protein and fat intake keeps me fuller between meals.
  • urrn4life
    urrn4life Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hmm you may have a point. Both of them are on the low side.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I eat balanced meals and don't fin myself hungry between them.
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My go to snacks are cheese sticks, carrot sticks, pickles, popcorn ( not mocrowave kind), and Fiber One bars just to name a few.
  • _flawedperfectly_
    _flawedperfectly_ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes or really any frozen fruit. Not any of that prepacked stuff, I'm referring to fresh fruit that you cut up yourself and then let it get semi frozen. It's a really good and healthy snack.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I make sure I'm drinking enough water first. After that, I usually have one serving of hummus (tribe is 50 calories per tbsp) with carrots, snap peas, bell peppers, and/or pretzels chips/thin triscuits (a half serving is 7), usually about 120 calorie snack and is delicious and holds me over till my next meal.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Sliced cucumber and a Greek yoghurt based dip (any flavour you want to make). :smile:
  • urrn4life
    Options
    Sounds tasty and simple.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My favoite filling snacks are:

1. Water. A lot of the time it turns out that's all I needed
    2. humus and veggies (i have to be carfully to measure the servings or I will eat too much) I like Tribe brand best.
    3. Chobani greek yogurt
    4. Nuts (again, I have to measure out a serving)

I have found that high carb foods make me hungrier afterward and I end up getting out of control. Foods with more protein help me to stay in control all day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have a few filling snacks: protein fluff, a whole salted cucumber, popcorn (made in a paper bag in the microwave with no oil), greek yogurt with PB2, and some low calorie ice cream choices that get blasted on these boards :)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    What do YOU eat when you're hungry?

Food!

Ok, I used to reach for easy carbs all the time to the point where low nutrition carbs made up a huge percentage of my diet.

Instead of those I'll now reach for:

Some cheese and turkey lunch meat, no bread
    Hunk of cheese
    Blueberries and Greek yogurt (1/2 plain, 1/2 vanilla)
    1/4 cup (small handful) almonds
    celery with some home made hummus
    1 or 2 tomatoes cut up, salt and pepper, drizzle of olive oil on top
    Crisp apple
    Salad with tuna or Salad with crumbled wild salmon burger on top
    1/4 chicken breast or leftover pork roast or etc with some apple slices
    ... and so on.

There are some carbs in the above but far less than what I used to consume.

Yes, I will sometimes consume a protein bar but those I almost always reserve for a post-run snack and only if I need it; I run 12 - 20km daily regularly. The bars I've been using lately are 170 calories containing 15g protein from whey not soy sources.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat large meals that generally leave me satisfied until the next one.

As well as what you eat, look at the timing of when you eat if you find you're going hungry between meals a lot. I'm currently at home with my two kids and because they're still quite young they HAVE to eat every four hours (trust me a hangry toddler is NOT fun!). I make a point of eating together as a family, so I'm on their four hour schedule too. It means I never have time to get hungry!
  • ColetteUs
    ColetteUs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite snacks are: Trader Joes/Yoplait Greek yogurts, you have to check the calories because some types have a lot, but most flavors have 120-160 calories, they keep me full. I also will eat 1 cup of popcorn, I pop a whole bag and put it in single serving bags so I can grab them on the go. Also there's the obvious things like fruit and vegetables :) However I find that if you just sit with the hunger for a while and don't snack it will go away, at least for a little bit.
  • urrn4life
    Options
    :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks are an ice cream sandwich, or a bowl of my favorite cereal from childhood.

I, however, pre-plan my snacks - they aren't something in addition to my meal plans, they are a piece of my meal plans. I don't plan when I will snack, but I set aside calories dedicated to the snacks I'll have.