are you hitting your protein goal easily ?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My goal is 120. I've had 141 so far today.

Milk
    Bread
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Nature Valley protein granola bar
    Chicken
    Pasta
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I am have been surprised at the amount of protein in whole grains. Air popped popcorn for example, who would have thought? I also eat fat free dairy along with beans, nuts, eggs and lean meats.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt in just about everything. I find it's a great way to protein boost a salad, I mix yogurt with a strong tasty vinaigrette and I've doubled my dressing without adding tons of calories.

And cottage cheese is my best friend. Depending on whether I still need fat, I eat either 4% or 1% at the end of my day.

I've got 121 g for the day without a protein bar or shake. Just under 1800 calories.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm able to hit my protein goal of 150g-170g of protein by only consuming whole foods. No protein shakes nor any protein bars. I just feel better, can think clearer and feel more energetic throughout the entire day by consuming whole foods protein.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Now I am, and it helps a lot with hunger.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    My goal is 135. Sometimes I hit it, but often I don't. I eat a lot of lean meat, some protein bars, and boiled eggs. I can easily hit my goal using whole foods, but sometimes I would rather something a little tastier.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Im 200+ on protein. I wouldnt say its easy, but you have to commit to basing each meal around protein.
    Egg beaters n bacon for breakfast. = 60g
    Salad with 6-8oz chicken breast = 40-60g
    Maybe quest bar snack =20g
    Pick you meat for dinner, pork, chicken, beef ,fish etc. 6-8oz. = 40-60g

Post workout shake 2 scoops 50g.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The reason people struggle with hitting their protein goal is because we've been conned (by supplement sellers and their affiliates) into believing we need exorbitant amounts. The average person will do just fine with roughly half their bodyweight in lbs. My ideal weight is 120 lbs and I easily get 60g from whole grains, lentils, beans, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds. Protein powders are processed foods. Just eat real food.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I try for 100 grams a day while I'm losing weight. When I get to my goal it can probably go down a little. I use regular food, no powders or supplements. I keep sugars low & carbs vary. The only fats I avoid are yucky industrial fats; traditional fats that occur naturally in food are fine but I add fat sparingly. (I say this because many proteins show up in the company of some fat!)

- I like all fish, chicken breast, turkey breast, steaks, roasts, burgers & chops. I usually have a six oz serving of meat instead of just four oz.
    - I make a refrigerator 'pudding' of whole milk Greek yogurt, chia seeds, and a fruit topping for a breakfast or a snack. I use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream or buttermilk in dips & dressings. Greek yogurt that is strained further makes an Arabic cheese called labneh which can substitute for cream cheese.
    - I keep whole milk cottage cheese on hand.
    - I poach a few eggs for breakfast, or make an omelet for dinner. When I make an omelet I usually add nitrate free ham & cheese for a little more protein. I make deviled eggs for lunch or snacks. Scotch eggs, which are hard boiled eggs rolled in a coating of sausage & cooked, are full of protein too.
    I also really like breakfast burritos made with eggs, turkey chorizo & cheese. If you use a tortilla with a few grams of protein you can easily get 20+ grams per burrito.
    - Roasted veggies and popcorn taste great with a few Tbs of nutritional yeast which is relatively high in protein.
    - I look for any breads or tortillas I buy to have a few grams of protein. I keep beans & lentils on hand to add to my salads. I cook quinoa or wild rice instead of regular rice. When I do occasionally eat pasta I use Barilla's protein plus pasta with legume flour.
    - If I am going to eat a snack bar on the go I pick something like Kind with 10 grams of protein. I like a serving of nuts or peanut butter too. And jerky is good if you don't mind the salt.
    - When I plan my meals, I try to get 30 grams at both lunch and dinner, and 20 grams from both breakfast and a snack... Then I'm done!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    guapa68 wrote: »
    whole foods in my eyes are items that are close to how nature intended however if "man made" ie bread - a short list of ingredients , and you should recognise the ingredients etc.

I have seen this comment in the media many many times, it's one of the oft used phrases that makes me feel a little " why are you writing this health journalist...don't you know anything"

It's one of those comments I absorbed, without questioning during my 30 years of yo-yo dieting. But really people make so much money out of keeping us confused about losing and maintaining weight loss that the ability to complicate and confuse is a tool they (media, dieting industry, magazines) will never lose.

As a good illustration of why I think it's a little mislead as advice, have you ever seen the ingredients of all natural foods like say the humble blueberry?
    19cththprtrp4png.png

• BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    From a whole natural food it is quite difficult, we need to take supplements.
    I eat Milk, Bread, Eggs, beans, nuts, cheese, Chicken...
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I can't do it without whey powder, I find I need a substantial amount of meat in at least two meals a day otherwise.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    whole foods in my eyes are items that are close to how nature intended however if "man made" ie bread - a short list of ingredients , and you should recognise the ingredients etc.

I have seen this comment in the media many many times, it's one of the oft used phrases that makes me feel a little " why are you writing this health journalist...don't you know anything"

It's one of those comments I absorbed, without questioning during my 30 years of yo-yo dieting. But really people make so much money out of keeping us confused about losing and maintaining weight loss that the ability to complicate and confuse is a tool they (media, dieting industry, magazines) will never lose.

As a good illustration of why I think it's a little mislead as advice, have you ever seen the ingredients of all natural foods like say the humble blueberry?
    19cththprtrp4png.png

I love that. Everything is chemicals. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Im 190 lbs 173cm - protein goal 113gr , do you guys manage to consume that with natural whole foods ? tips welcome.

My protein goal is 67g. Some days I hit it. Some days I am under or over. I try for a minimum of 46g. I usually can get that much pretty easily. It is easiest to get a bunch of protein when I eat meat.
    Prelogging my whole day is always helpful to me.

Looking back to a day where I got 111 g the foods with protein were: granola bar, chicken, bean & cheese burrito, zucchini, potato, Doritos chips and bread. The chicken gave the most protein.
    On a day where I got 137 g I got protein from: french toast, banana, peanut butter, meatballs, spaghetti, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, chicken, and an orange. The meat was again the largest contributor of protein.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like the 4% fat greek yogurt...I need the fat and it makes the product more creamy. I'll have 1 or 2% cottage cheese too. I'm not getting anything 0% anymore.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    4% fat yogurt is skimmed... We have 10% fat here :D
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    In the USA are you allowed to call low/no fat yogurt 'Greek'? Here in the UK it's only called 'Greek Style'. I keep seeing americans talk about 0% fat greek yogurt, but can't find it in the supermarket over here.

(I do love Greek yogurt with honey)
  • guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Fage Total 0% Fat Greek Natural Yogurt 500g - You can buy this product in sainsburys ( and I'm sure in other supermarkets) however the only difference is that it is made in Greece, its just more expensive than " Greek style"