Can you really lose weight and not feel hungry?

Options
I am on a 1200 calorie/day plan and I never really feel satisfied so I am constantly going over. I also do not really feel 1200 is enough for me because I am also currently breastfeeding my son (he is also on solid food). Is it normal to still feel hungry? Or do I need to up my calorie intake?

I am 155lbs (and have been for months now)
I am 5'1"

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i have no idea how much you should be eating being that short, and nursing. however, i have good luck controlling my hunger when i eat a large percentage of my calories from protein.
  • angella_jacobs93
    angella_jacobs93 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i have good luck controlling my hunger when i eat a large percentage of my calories from protein.[/quote]
    Thank you I will keep this in mind :)

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What does MFP give you if you select 1 lb per week loss?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't you not be consuming such a little amount while breast feeding?
  • angella_jacobs93
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I did not think so..
  • arditarose
    Options

I did not think so..

Someone else will come in and help ha. 1200 is very little, I'm pretty sure you need more whether you're breast feeding or not.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

when i was nursing i ate pretty good sized meals, and was snacking in between. im gonna hazard a guess... i was probably eating 2000 per day or so at the time. i am 5'4 though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving on 1200 calories too - that's such a low amount. I'm sure the breastfeeding doesn't help.
  • angella_jacobs93
    Options
    Well my son is almost a year old so we are not exclusively nursing. I guess MFP does not give recommendations for extra calories for breastfeeding mums because it really depends, everyone's situation is different. I looked it up and it said an extra 500 cal. a day but that seems very high.
  • angella_jacobs93
    Options
    and I am obviously not losing weight with what I have been doing...so I am not sure.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Well my son is almost a year old so we are not exclusively nursing. I guess MFP does not give recommendations for extra calories for breastfeeding mums because it really depends, everyone's situation is different. I looked it up and it said an extra 500 cal. a day but that seems very high.

1700 seems high? God I wish I felt that way.

Are you weighing your food on a food scale?
  • angella_jacobs93
    Options
    I have not but when I log everything and I am around 1500-1600 I feel really guilty and like I overate. It may be because I am very small framed (under all my fats).
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1200 is doable for this height (I'm 5' 1/2"). Took about three weeks to adjust. Can't account for breast feeding, though.
  • angella_jacobs93
    Options
    I have not been weighing my food.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I have not but when I log everything and I am around 1500-1600 I feel really guilty and like I overate. It may be because I am very small framed (under all my fats).

Yeah. You don't know how much you're truly eating until you get a food scale. If you're not losing (and it's been over 3-4 weeks), you're eating at maintenance.
  • arditarose
    Options
    1200 is doable foe this height (I'm 5' 1/2"). Took about three weeks to adjust. Can't account for breast feeding, though.

Yeah, the breast feeding is what I'm concerned about. I don't know anything about babies and mommies.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest weighing and measuring all of your food - every bite. I didn't use MFP back when I was nursing, so I can't say from personal experience, but I have seen other moms log breastfeeding as exercise (around 50-75 calories burned). If you are only nursing say at bedtime or 1-2x per day, I would add 100 calories to your goal. Staying full at 1200 requires careful attention to macros - gotta get a good amount of protein, a little fat, and bulk up with lots of veggies. GL!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I suggest because you're nursing, that you talk to your doctor or a dietician about a recommended calorie goal. I'm pretty sure you use a lot of calories breast feeding.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Can you really lose weight and not feel hungry?

Yes.

Can you really lose weight and not feel hungry while breast feeding?

No idea!