Rest days?

Options
Hi,
So I know that you need to have rest days after working out but I'm unsure how often they need to be. If I'm running on MWF and doing some light weightlifting on TuThSa am I not leaving enough time? I'm sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question but I'm really not sure what's the best plan.

Replies

• suzaka
    suzaka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think that's OK, you are doing cardio and strength training on alternate days, so you should be fine. If you're trying to maximize the amount of calories burned, you're on your way there, just combine that with a good diet and you should be set. How long are you running for on MWF?
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days in a row then have a rest day. It's up to you.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, if you're struggling with your workouts (not improving, or getting worse), or feeling more tired generally then add more rest days. Don't just follow the advice of the routine you're doing.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I work out 7 days a week and my 'rest day' I swim. as hamlet says listen to what your body needs however a feeling of 'I cant be bothered' does not count as your body saying it needs a rest day!! lol
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    I work out 7 days a week and my 'rest day' I swim. as hamlet says listen to what your body needs however a feeling of 'I cant be bothered' does not count as your body saying it needs a rest day!! lol

:) Good point. With experience you can differentiate between the 'I can't be bothered days' from the 'my muscles don't feel quite recovered' days.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    I work out 6 days in a row then have a rest day. It's up to you.

This is what I do as well. Seems to work but do whats best for you. I usually run 5 days in a row and then box on the other day.
  • Updownstrange
    Updownstrange Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    suzaka wrote: »
    I think that's OK, you are doing cardio and strength training on alternate days, so you should be fine. If you're trying to maximize the amount of calories burned, you're on your way there, just combine that with a good diet and you should be set. How long are you running for on MWF?
    I'm running for about 30 min, building up slowly to run 5 k. Thanks for the feed back guys, you've all been really helpful :)