Confused

Options
I am confused. I've been at this 15 days tracking religiously. I bought jeans two weeks ago that I could barely button. Today I can put both fist in them. But the scale has not moved.

I know the formula. Eat less, burn more. I know I'm not gaining muscle to replace fat. I haven't been at it long enough.

I am loving my clothes being so loose but why doesn't the scale reflect anything? I am way too big to not be dropping weight like mad. I have 135 pounds to lose. I thought bigger people were suppose to drop like crazy and that I was suppose to lose water weight at least.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Did you just start exercising?
    Water Retention can mask weight loss. The scale will eventually move, but so many things effect what it says that it is recommended to not use it as your only measure of progress.

Loose clothing that was tight = progress being made regardless of what the scale says
    smaller measurements = progress being made regardless of what the scale says
  • STCB7379
    STCB7379 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did just start exercising. I was so sick for a couple of years and didnt do anything. Now I exercise at least 30 minutes daily at 65 to 70% max heart rate. Maybe that's it. I will try to be patient and be grateful for the looser clothes. I just like to see numbers too.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I think still give it time. That your clothes are loose that is a good sign! I didn't lose anything for 6 months in the beginning. Make sure you are weighing food on a food scale and getting right proportions. I had major portion distortion. But then I found chris powells choose more lose more and it really helped me to sort out what a real portion is! Then I started to lose!
  • monneubauer2006
    monneubauer2006 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I'm a 5'6" woman that weighs about 215. I have lost 3 inches in my waist and an inch on each thigh but no lbs lost. I'm grateful for the inches lost but with being so overweight I'm mad at the scale not going down. I've been at this for a while now too. Longer than a few months. I run 2.5 miles per day in less than 20 minutes and lift weights. Wondering when it will move.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You're clearly losing inches - win! :)
    Sometimes the scale can take a little longer to catch up.
  • BeyonkaKnows
    BeyonkaKnows Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Came here this morning because same 2 weeks for me, tracking closely, working out very steadily, eating back only 10-30 percent of calories, trying to keep carbs under 80-100 g per day, and only 2.6 lbs down. But I do feel so much better and my clothes fit better. So I'll continue, using how I feel and clothes.

Would love a story about the scale "catching up." I have been avoiding the scale. In the past, I've seen very unexplained weight loss when weighing frequently, and seen variations up to 6 lbs IN ONE DAY. So maybe I'll go to weighing in every 2 weeks altogether, or even longer.
  • BeyonkaKnows
    Options
    Good morning! Came here this morning because same 2 weeks for me, tracking closely, working out very steadily, eating back only 10-30 percent of calories, trying to keep carbs under 80-100 g per day, and only 2.6 lbs down. But I do feel so much better and my clothes fit better. So I'll continue, using how I feel and clothes.

Would love a story about the scale "catching up." I have been avoiding the scale. In the past, I've seen very unexplained weight loss when weighing frequently, and seen variations up to 6 lbs IN ONE DAY. So maybe I'll go to weighing in every 2 weeks altogether, or even longer. [/quote]

PinkPixiexox, how long did your 32 lbs take?

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    2 weeks? lol in weightloss time that is like when the sperm meets the egg .. you're not even at conception
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    if you started a new exercise, your body will be holding onto water in order to repair any muscle damage. this tends to leave your body after a few weeks.. me it took 3 weeks to finally see a move on the scales, that was from doing body combat 4 times a week.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options

Would love a story about the scale "catching up." I have been avoiding the scale. In the past, I've seen very unexplained weight loss when weighing frequently, and seen variations up to 6 lbs IN ONE DAY. So maybe I'll go to weighing in every 2 weeks altogether, or even longer.

PinkPixiexox, how long did your 32 lbs take?

[/quote]

My 32 lbs took just over 5 months.
    Tehnically, I wanted to lose an extra 6 lbs but I decided to maintain now and start recomping :)
  • BeyonkaKnows
    Options

Tehnically, I wanted to lose an extra 6 lbs but I decided to maintain now and start recomping :) [/quote]

Congratulations! You look great! If you don't mind my asking, what were your total calories/day, and how much exercise? And were you exercising before?
  • BeyonkaKnows
    Options
    Also, thanks for points about just starting and settling in for the long haul. Not to hijack this thread, but for me, I've been exercising pretty vigorously for years. I guess I am "fit fat" carrying an addition 20 lbs on a small frame. So maybe it will be really slow. Sigh.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options

Tehnically, I wanted to lose an extra 6 lbs but I decided to maintain now and start recomping :)

Congratulations! You look great! If you don't mind my asking, what were your total calories/day, and how much exercise? And were you exercising before?[/quote]

Thank you so much :)

To lose around 0.5lb a week, I was on around 1500 calories a day. I work out 4 times a week (cardio/weight lifting). As I have reduced my cardio and upped my weight lifting, my TDEE has decreased from lack of calories burned (TDEE is around 1700). I'm eating at 1600 at the moment and weight lifting 4 times a week :)
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    STCB7379 wrote: »
    I am confused. I've been at this 15 days tracking religiously. I bought jeans two weeks ago that I could barely button. Today I can put both fist in them. But the scale has not moved.

I know the formula. Eat less, burn more. I know I'm not gaining muscle to replace fat. I haven't been at it long enough.

I am loving my clothes being so loose but why doesn't the scale reflect anything? I am way too big to not be dropping weight like mad. I have 135 pounds to lose. I thought bigger people were suppose to drop like crazy and that I was suppose to lose water weight at least.

When we eat unhealthy and have lack of physical activity , our bodies hold onto water (water retention) like a camel in the desert. It's likely a huge loss of water that's been retained that's causing your close to be looser. This is a GOOD thing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Inches trump pounds. You're retaining water, from the new exercise program. Soon, you'll get the "whoosh".
  • STCB7379
    Options
    2 weeks? lol in weightloss time that is like when the sperm meets the egg .. you're not even at conception

Patience is not my strongest point. I just know last time I tried this journey, I dropped weight really fast but kept the inches.
  • STCB7379
    Options
    if you started a new exercise, your body will be holding onto water in order to repair any muscle damage. this tends to leave your body after a few weeks.. me it took 3 weeks to finally see a move on the scales, that was from doing body combat 4 times a week.

Thank you. I'm glad to know the weight will follow.