RSI - will weights help?

Options
Hi all,
Been to see the doctor over the weekend who has diagnosed RSI in my left hand/wrist/forearm most likely due to typing/being on a computer for 7 hours a day at work.
He recommended ibuprofen gel and I have a wrist support - I am also going to organise a desk assessment at work to ensure everything is set up safely. However I've been wondering if there's anything I can do excercise-wise that might help - lifts specifically for the forearms etc maybe?
Obviously I'm not gonna go crazy with heavy weights but thought maybe I'm going to fall into the trap of not using my hand/wrist enough and it might not help matters if that makes sense?
Thanks in advance
Luce :-)

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've had RSI from 8 hours a day computer work, it came down to bad posture. I think exercise generally is very helpful, and a lot of people swear by pilates for helping with RSI.
  • luce3003
    luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that - I've never tried anything like pilates/yoga before so that would be a new challenge too! Hoping it eases off in time as GP said most cases do but we'll see....just want to try anything that will help in the meantime! :-)
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The key thing the physiotherapist advised me was not being too sedentary, avoid going straight to the sofa after work and take lots of breaks from you desk when you are at work.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It will help on the long run, but not right now. You need to first let it recover.