Toning

Options
katieellex434
katieellex434 Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey i was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice should i tone with a belly like this. And if so what is the best way to tone your core. Thanks for taking the time to read my post726optidluqz.jpg

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You are going to hear this until you are sick of it, but there is no such think as toning. It is a combination of having a low enough body fat percentage to show off the underlying muscle, and building the muscles to increase size. You can't spot reduce the body fat, but you can add in core work to your normal routine to try and increase muscle size.

Without knowing more about your current fitness level and what you want to do for a fitness routine.(i.e. Powerlifting, Olympic lifting, strongman, P90X, Crossfit, bodybuilding style training, etc.) it would not do a lot of good. The second question is going to be the most important, because if you are doing something you like you will keep doing it.
  • katieellex434
    katieellex434 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for your advice i appreciate it. I dont know if i would say am super active but i do workout at least 3-4 times a week at home. I bought a kettle bell and a resistance band that i try and do 3-4 times a week. I do aqua zumba and zumba but basically most of my workouts i do at home. I am just confused as to should i continue eating at a deficit and keep doing my workouts or eat to maintain my weight but continue with my workouts. I know that might sound like a stupid question.
  • Light522
    Light522 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but in the hospital so felt like saying something.

Hmm you still have a great metabolism I guess cause you are young so what many people in my area do is do some lifting (not heavy just for like 15 minutes) and after that 15 minute cardio.

With good sleep, water and food that can do wonders I think.

Anyway good luck :)

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Light522 wrote: »

Hmm you still have a great metabolism I guess cause you are young so what many people in my area do is do some lifting (not heavy just for like 15 minutes) and after that 15 minute cardio.

What?

15 minutes of lifting things that are not heavy isn't going to do a thing. If anything she would *want* to lift heavy. Doing so while eating at maintenance (recomposition) would give her more of the results she's looking for more than likely.

OP, while the picture you posted isn't the best to go on, I'm going to guess that you don't actually have 24 more pounds to lose. Like I just said, look into doing a recomp while lifting heavy.

@arditarose I'm sure you could give this young lady better info than I can currently. :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ok thanks for your advice i appreciate it. I dont know if i would say am super active but i do workout at least 3-4 times a week at home. I bought a kettle bell and a resistance band that i try and do 3-4 times a week. I do aqua zumba and zumba but basically most of my workouts i do at home. I am just confused as to should i continue eating at a deficit and keep doing my workouts or eat to maintain my weight but continue with my workouts. I know that might sound like a stupid question.
    What is your overall goal that you're looking to accomplish? What does "toning" mean to you - possibly visually, if you have a picture of what you hope to generally look like, it would be easier to direct you towards it.
    If you're happy with how you look, go into maintenance. I'd definitely agree with the above that you don't have 24 pounds to spare losing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

You assume much here. Why would she only lift for 15 minutes?

OP, look into a progressive lifting program, such as SL 5x5.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    OP, as another poster said-there's no such thing as "toning". You either lose fat to reveal muscle while lifting in a deficit to SAVE it, or gain muscle (along with fat).

You don't need to lose anymore. You need to work on building some muscle. I'm not going to suggest a bulk since it seems you are new to this stuff, but you should definitely lift while eating at least maintenance calories. Full body routines like SL 5x5, Starting Strength, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women-these will all do the trick.

If you're not going to join a gym or start a progressive lifting program-you need a body weight program like Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, or look up the beginners body weight program on www.nerdfitness.com
  • arditarose
    Options

That will do basically nothing
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I feel like basically is an unnecessary word.
  • arditarose
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

I feel like basically is an unnecessary word.

Right. Besides get you off your butt if you're sedentary.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    OP, as another poster said-there's no such thing as "toning". You either lose fat to reveal muscle while lifting in a deficit to SAVE it, or gain muscle (along with fat).

You don't need to lose anymore. You need to work on building some muscle. I'm not going to suggest a bulk since it seems you are new to this stuff, but you should definitely lift while eating at least maintenance calories. Full body routines like SL 5x5, Starting Strength, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women-these will all do the trick.

If you're not going to join a gym or start a progressive lifting program-you need a body weight program like Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, or look up the beginners body weight program on www.nerdfitness.com

I would also suggest looking at the recomposition thread in the maintenance sub forum, as recomp (maintaining same weight, increasing muscle and losing fat) might be a more comfortable starting point than a bulk.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

But yeah, to get an even flatter belly and get some abs to show you need to start strenght training.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    OP, from your photo it looks like you are at a good weight already and don't need to lose any more.
    As others have said, eat at maintenance and start a weight lifting program.
    Pretty Tattoo btw!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you need to have a lower body fat percentage and you need to build muscle mass. weight lifting is not a necessity though very popular. body weight exercises can yield the results you want. you can look into books like this