What do you do when you are hungry enough to eat the house?

Options
As I write this I'm just about to give in and go over my calories for the day :(

The problem is that sometimes I get hungry and it keeps me up at night. I don't think it's craving- it's genuine hunger. So I'm going to just do it, get some sleep, and try again tomorrow.

How do you guys deal with the nighttime hunger? Have you found anything that works?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I eat this before bed:

s7gslq89cg80.jpg

Protein fluff. This one is caramel cheesecake. About 200 calories. I'm eating a strawberry one as we speak. Super full.

ETA:: I prelog a night time snack. Every morning I think about what I want that night and put it in MFP.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I eat this before bed:

s7gslq89cg80.jpg

Protein fluff. This one is caramel cheesecake. About 200 calories. I'm eating a strawberry one as we speak. Super full.

ETA:: I prelog a night time snack. Every morning I think about what I want that night and put it in MFP.

This stuff looks amazing- I am definitely going to try it!
  • arditarose
    Options
    trusty48 wrote: »
    I eat this before bed:

s7gslq89cg80.jpg

This stuff looks amazing- I am definitely going to try it!

Yeah just look up protein fluff recipes and go from there. I use water instead of milk to cut the calories! Hope you like it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie goal too aggressive? If you're genuinely hungry at night you might want to adjust your calorie intake. Save some for night snacking. There's always sugar free Jello in a pinch - the fruit flavors are 10 calories and the pudding is 60 calories.
  • arditarose
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    I eat this before bed:

s7gslq89cg80.jpg

This looks good, how much sugar in one serving ? Googling and making this tomorrow !!!

I don't track sugar. The basic recipe is casein protein powder, xanthan gum, and water (or milk/liquid of your choice), so you can adjust the "flavor" or type you want based on your micro/macro/calorie needs.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of yogurt about an hour before I go to bed. That seems to hold me till morning. :)
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    16-32 oz of water but then I have to get up at night to pee.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I eat this before bed:

s7gslq89cg80.jpg

Holy moly does this look good! Researching it now, thank you.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Is your calorie goal too aggressive? If you're genuinely hungry at night you might want to adjust your calorie intake. Save some for night snacking. There's always sugar free Jello in a pinch - the fruit flavors are 10 calories and the pudding is 60 calories.

I think my calories are fine- hunger is just a side effect of dieting :(

Also- I went out to eat with my parents and ate lunch at a greasy spoon diner. I tried to order something small but still ended up eating 2/3 of my calories before 1 pm. That is something I will need to avoid in the future- it's hard to just get oatmeal or something when everyone around you is eating a big meal.
  • yummypotroast
    yummypotroast Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    trusty48 wrote: »
    I think my calories are fine- hunger is just a side effect of dieting :(
    It doesn't have to be! If you feel hungry and miserable very often then it's a good idea to increase your calories and lose weight a little more slowly. It's much safer and more sustainable to gradually reduce your caloric intake rather than pursue a low calorie goal too aggressively and end up wanting to quit.
  • tk_fairy
    tk_fairy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Green tea helps me, chamomile is good as well.
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I drink tea until I don't feel hungry anymore - but then I do pee 2-3 X at night. But tea works :)
  • katieboo93_
    katieboo93_ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I second drinking tea, works for me!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry enough to eat a house, I obviously haven't gotten enough to eat. Eat something. I've been on this ride many times. Your body is telling you to eat, so eat. Even if you go over your goals for today, you're not going to gain 60# overnight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    What other people have said. Unless you are already targeting 0.5lbs a week, nothing other than impatience is stopping you from accepting a smaller deficit and slower weight loss in exchange for an easier time. This is a game where continuing to play is more important than finishing. And reaching the goal line remains more important than doing so fast.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    green tea is a nightly god send - i also have strawberries with quark ( swetened) and choc shot - divine and thick like cheesecake topping
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If I'm really that hungry at night I'll have some crackers or pretzels with cheese. If I'm just a bit hungry I jut go to bed hungry (which is pretty much most nights nowadays).
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, no matter how much I eat I always feel like I need a bedtime snack. I will do some crackers, or rice cakes, or a sleepy time tea. I will then go and brush my teeth and use a "magic berry" flavoured mouthwash. I find the sweet taste in my mouth is enough to stop cravings.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I become thankful I'm not Hansel or Gretel and look around for witches just in case

:)
  • Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just like other people have suggested, unless you mind having to get up to pee, drink water and/or tea.

Brushing your teeth early can also help.