Kettlebell on vacation - reaction from friends

Options
I have a cottage/fishing trip planned with "the guys" and mentioned I'm bringing a kettlebell to get some exercise in while there. Basically I got a "why on earth would you bring that?" response.

Anyone else travel w/ exercise gear? Been through the same experience? How did you handle it?

Cheers.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    We did a beach vacation with the extended family. Eating and drinking late into the night. The rule was the car left for the nearby Golds at 9 AM. Some of the group thought we were nuts but always had at least 2-3 going.

Point is you're not putting anyone out if you want to train. Take the kettlebell, do your workout, screw anyone who gives you crap..

Have fun..
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have brought a kettlebell, skipping rope and some weights to the cottage before..also got the same strange reaction but I ignored it lol
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I do...they all look at me funny when I bring any equipment, but I know I won't be happy if I don't at least get some work in....they all think we're odd...say we're obsessed....till they see our results...then they want to know HOW!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    "handle it"? What is there to handle?
  • heyspearsy
    heyspearsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My wife and I schedule a week off once a quarter throughout the year just to have a break and I normally make sure one falls on vacation and another over Christmas. During those times we still exercise walking, jogging, hiking, biking etc, just no weights. We went on vacation with my wifes family years ago. There was a gym about 5 miles up the main road and on the bearch. Not only did I get a couple hours of working out every day, but also some good mental therapy!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'll bring running gear on vacation. I use barbels when I weight train so that's an obvious no-go. I've done bodyweight strength routines on vacation, though. It's a nice change-up.

ETA: Dealing with it is telling the people I'm sharing a room with that I'm going to be getting up stupid-early to go run and I'll do my best not to wake them. Then telling everyone I'm with that I expect to get back at X time, so don't be worried if I'm 'missing' when they get up. And for certain don't take off without me!
  • monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I take my running shoes every time we travel. Most of the time I do make it out to run a bit, sometimes I don't. If we're at my in-laws', they're fine with it and they don't think it's weird if they get up in the morning and I'm already out and about somewhere. I took them with me to Galveston recently and I thought the bugs were going to eat me alive, not to mention how humid it was! I got a surprised comment from someone when I got back but for the most part I don't think anyone but my husband even noticed I was gone.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    My husband and I take our bikes on beach vacations with family and/or friends and I try to ride at least 12 miles a day. No one has ever said much but we have some pretty supportive friends and family.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long you are away for. Personally, if it's a week or less, I wouldn't worry about it. You are not going to lose any gains in a week, and the rest will probably do your body some good and you will come back stronger.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've taken an empty sandbag and bought sand at the destination, then dumped it for the return trip.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't go anywhere without my workout shoes and a jump rope. Period.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Resistance band or TRX.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Sorry, the title made me spit my coffee out.
    I always have to fly for a few hours for any vacation, so all I could imagine was a suitcase with a kettle ball and change of undies. ( weight restrictions)

I tried taking workout stuff with me on vacation, but found after 4 years of actually doing a structured workout once, I would limit myself to a pair of versatile footwear, and a sports bra.

It depends on the vacation, who your companions are, and what is most important to you.

Cheers, h.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If it's important to you take it, use it and ignore any comments!
    We have a campervan and I have a set of kit that stays in there and i always have some trainers. I vary what I do - sometimes I run, last time we took bikes for the first time. We have young kids so that can dictate what I do - can't always sneak out early without a riot! I have however run sprints on beaches while they played, made circuits on playgrounds, or sometimes I'm just the volunteer who always does the errands so I get a lot of walking in.
    We go away once a year with mother in law. She thinks I'm mad, but she thought that anyway so ....
    I have never gained more than 2lb on a holiday.
  • heyspearsy
    Options
    Well, just got back from 4 days of fishing. Took the kettlebell, got in a run and 2 kettlebell workouts. Since I don't drink as much as the fellas, I was up at dawn and got in some workouts. I'm doing a barbell program at home, the change to KBs was a good challenge and some good soreness all around.

Took some friendly ribbing about "that light plastic ball" (it's a 20kg bell) but generally they were impressed especially with the fact I've dropped 30lbs since the last time they saw me.

I wasn't particularly anxious about their reaction; just wanted to hear from the community what everyone else did.

Thanks to those who shared their experience. No kettlebell & undies in the luggage, on the plane, since I was driving ;)

Cheers.
  • heyspearsy
    Options
    If it's important to you take it, use it and ignore any comments!
    We have a campervan and I have a set of kit that stays in there and i always have some trainers. I vary what I do - sometimes I run, last time we took bikes for the first time. We have young kids so that can dictate what I do - can't always sneak out early without a riot! I have however run sprints on beaches while they played, made circuits on playgrounds, or sometimes I'm just the volunteer who always does the errands so I get a lot of walking in.
    We go away once a year with mother in law. She thinks I'm mad, but she thought that anyway so ....
    I have never gained more than 2lb on a holiday.

Yes I have four kids and frequently chase them around the playground sneaking in dips and pullups as I go.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to get any lifting in during a cruise? I may be going on one in about a month or two and I'm curious if I'm doomed to body weight exercises for a week. :(
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I bring a jump rope and resistant bands when I travel. I don't always use them, depending on how much activity I get without them, but they take up little room in a bag so I always toss them in.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get any lifting in during a cruise? I may be going on one in about a month or two and I'm curious if I'm doomed to body weight exercises for a week. :(

Depends on the ship. We did a cruise on the Carnival Conquest and it had a workout room. Resistance ma chines and dumbbells (fairly heavy). Can't remember for sure but don't think any barbells, probably a safety issue. Also had treadmills and elipticals.