What type of oil is good for cooking

Options
Shouliveshappy
Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
There are so many different types of oils. But what type of oil under heat (stir-fry) will not lose its nutritional value? Which is best for cooking?
  1. Extra virgin Olive Oil
  2. Ground nut oil
  3. Sunflower oil
  4. Canola oil
  5. Coconut oil (too expensive, not my first option)

Replies

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ive read avocado oil is suppsed to be healthiest. Im currently using grapeseed oil but will be switching over once i finish the bottle.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of oils (refined and unrefined) and their smoke points.
    http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is good for cooking european foods - cold pressed extra virgin.
    ditto other cold pressed nut oils but they are expensive.

Peanut oil is good for cooking asian foods.

I am not too sure about canola and so on. These could be damaged by the methods of their production.

Go for cold pressed whenever you can because such oils have not been produced through chemical processes that can do some damage to the nature of the oil.

The smoke point is not an issue for olive oil contrary to common concern. That's because the temperature at which people cook most foods is not as high as the smoke point. You should not use olive oil for deep frying.

But if you want to lose weight you should probably abstain from deep frying very often.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    You should not really "cook" with cold-pressed, unrefined, or extra virgin oils. The same goes for nut and seed oils like walnut or pumpkin seed. All of these oils are better for cold applications, such as salad dressings. If you really wanted to cook with EVOO, then blend 25% with 75% Canola oil to boost the ability to withstand higher heat while still retaining some additional flavor.

For a cooking oil, I would suggest regular olive oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, safflower, or peanut oil. Just get whatever is affordable and avoid industrial trans fats or hydrogenated oils. Avocado oil is far too expensive for long-term cooking usage.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would use peanut oil for stir fry. Canola would be my second choice.
    http://livewell.jillianmichaels.com/healthier-peanut-oil-canola-oil-5449.html
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, macadamia nut oil. Stay away from vegetable oils (inflamatory), and Canola oils (GMO's).
  • Ginnygirl5
    Ginnygirl5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil or coconut oil when it calls for oil.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I use olive for stir fry applications, peanut for deep frying and coconut for low temp pan frying of things like shrimp
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Im sorry if I am wrong or offend someone. But isnt canola oil supposed to be one the most unhealthiest. I stopped using it years ago.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Almond oil, avocado oil and coconut oil are three of the healthier, high heat oils. Virgin olive oil has a lower heat tolerance and is therefore less suited for high heat cooking and more useful for salads. It should say on the bottle.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For my stir fry last night I used a canola oil, and it stood up well. I would think that you get the full calorie power of fats no matter how much you cook them. Some of the vitamins might vaporize but that's not the chief reason I cook with oil.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    You should not really "cook" with cold-pressed, unrefined, or extra virgin oils. The same goes for nut and seed oils like walnut or pumpkin seed. All of these oils are better for cold applications, such as salad dressings. If you really wanted to cook with EVOO, then blend 25% with 75% Canola oil to boost the ability to withstand higher heat while still retaining some additional flavor.

For a cooking oil, I would suggest regular olive oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, safflower, or peanut oil. Just get whatever is affordable and avoid industrial trans fats or hydrogenated oils. Avocado oil is far too expensive for long-term cooking usage.

^^ He knows what he's talking about.

Also, look at the smoke point list up top...I use different oils depending on what I'm making.
  • sixxpoint
    edited October 2015
    Options
    isnt canola oil supposed to be one the most unhealthiest. I stopped using it years ago.

Those rumors are spread by people who do not understand what they are talking about and scared by its production methods. The end product is perfectly safe.

Just avoid industrial trans fats and hydrogenated oils. This chart is good, but even they over-exaggerate the health concerns for many oils...

CookingOilChart1.jpg

If you really wanted to get technical, animal fats found in nature are "healthier" than many of these translucent, highly refined, ultra-processed vegetable-based oils.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil because we have 4 L in the pantry. If I bought my own oil, I'd go with canola.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Canola is perfectly fine and safe. It's a good cooking oil because it's light in flavour, has a high smoke point, and is low in saturated fats. It's pretty much my regular everyday cooking oil.

I do prefer olive oil for things like dipping bread or drizzling on salads or veggies. I like the flavour better. But EVOO has a low smoke point and is ill-suited for cooking.
  • sixxpoint
    edited October 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I do prefer olive oil for things like dipping bread or drizzling on salads or veggies. I like the flavour better. But EVOO has a low smoke point and is ill-suited for cooking.

Exactly why more people should be buying regular/plain/pure Olive Oil for cooking instead of Virgin or Extra Virgin versions. It's cheaper with a higher ability to withstand heat, and the flavor is still better than most cooking oils. You could always blend the two as well if you desire.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Contrary to what Rachel Ray is shoveling, extra virgin is best left for drizzling, not cooking over high heat.

You have to use the right oil for the right job. If you need one with a high smoke point, use it.

I don't use enough oil to keep a million around and use them up before they go bad, so I *usually* use olive oil. :)
  • MTmimi
    MTmimi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a big family- so the luxury of keeping a few oils around. And I like to eat the oils that I find taste the best to me. I use olive oil for Mediterranean cooking, Canola and Peanut oil for stir fries, and Olive oil in my salad dressings and vinaigrettes. Sometimes I use butter instead of oil, like For caramelized onions. And I throw an avocado into my pesto (to switch the oil source up a bit).
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I use peanut oil for hash browns and coconut oil or butter for frying eggs. I try to avoid canola oil, corn, cottonseed, etc.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    isnt canola oil supposed to be one the most unhealthiest. I stopped using it years ago.

Those rumors are spread by people who do not understand what they are talking about and scared by its production methods. The end product is perfectly safe.

Just avoid industrial trans fats and hydrogenated oils. This chart is good, but even they over-exaggerate the health concerns for many oils...

CookingOilChart1.jpg

If you really wanted to get technical, animal fats found in nature are "healthier" than many of these translucent, highly refined, ultra-processed vegetable-based oils.

Fantastic chart. :) I think I will look into trying hemp and macadamia oils.
    Lard would be cool too.