Gym users -- what gym do you use?

Options
chevy88grl
chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
I've been a member of my gym for the last 15 months. There are many things I like about my gym - but there are a few things that I wish were better. I'm considering giving another gym a shot, but I'm such a stick in the mud.. I hate change.

What gym do you use? What do you like about it? Dislike about it?

I use Snap Fitness.

I like that I have 24/7 access to the gym. Since I work 2nd shift, I don't tend to work out until 11pm-1am. I like that I can go whenever is convenient for me. I like that it isn't overly busy when I go. I'm not sure I would use a gym that is only open from 6am-10pm. I don't have much energy or motivation to workout before work. I like to sleep til the last possible moment. lol.

I also like that I can use ANY Snap Fitness in any city or state. My access card works at ALL their gyms - which is super nice.

I wish it had more machines. And I wish it had a pool.

Replies

• XtinaRocks
    XtinaRocks Posts: 24
    Options
    I got to Planet Fitness. Its 24hrs 4 days a week and the weekend they close 10pm (Fri) and 7pm( Sat & Sun). I love it there but I wish there were classes and a pool!
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    We are members of the YMCA. The times it is usually open is not when you stated ou would typically use it. I like it because it.
    has a pool
    has child care
    had discounts for activities for members
    has a variety of classes
    has tools available, nutrition, personal training, etc
    it has every machine possible
    it isnt busy even when it is.. there is always a machine available
    ALLL kinds of people are there.. I dont feel like I stand out.
    This is what I could think of off the top of my head.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I use Powerhouse Gym and I love it. It's a little on the pricier side, but the equipment and classes are second to none. However, it's not 24 hour.

I will say this though. Most gyms are franchises, so quality can vary widely from gym to gym. One LA fitness one place can be great, another one 20 miles from it can be terrible. So try to talk to people locally who have actually used the specific club you are looking at. That will make all the difference.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of gyms coming up that are just cardio. This was always my weight loss downfall. I can only jog on the treadmill for so long before I get bored and stop going. The thing that made all the difference was group exercise classes. I lost 40lbs from Spinning and other group ex classes. The friends you make, being in a group keeps you motivated, and it's FUN. I never did one hour of exercise until I took a spin class. I'm now an instructor and work at Sport and Health, Gold's, Fitness First, and Healthtrax. Gold's has great group ex classes...including lots of Les Mills classes which are amazing!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    We are members of the YMCA. The times it is usually open is not when you stated ou would typically use it. I like it because it.
    has a pool
    has child care
    had discounts for activities for members
    has a variety of classes
    has tools available, nutrition, personal training, etc
    it has every machine possible
    it isnt busy even when it is.. there is always a machine available
    ALLL kinds of people are there.. I dont feel like I stand out.
    This is what I could think of off the top of my head.

Ah. That's another one I like about my gym - ALL types of people. Skinny, fat, young, old, buff, not so buff.. it isn't a body building gym where i would feel out place.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just switched gyms...before I had a ghetto lookin' one with used equipment, and it was the size of my living room. But it was close to home and what I thought was a cheap membership price. Since it closed for renovations I switched to the leisure centre in the next town (literally 15 minutes away)...and let me tell you it's fantastic. There are more machines than people, there are enough weights to go around, there's tv's on the elypticall, enough space to do crunches and lunges, staff galore to answer your questions, and it's CHEAP! there's 2 pools, a hot tub, babysitting services, 2 hockey rinks, etc...it's fantastic. I just wish it were closer to home, and that the trainers weren't so expensive.
  • mmcneil03
    mmcneil03 Posts: 3
    Options
    I go to Get In Shape for women. It has pretty restrictive hours, but it is absolutely amazing. It's small group training (no more than 4 ladies at a time), and they provide nutrition training which is the most important thing for me. I have learned so much about foods that I should be eating. I thought I was eating healthy before I started there, but it turned out, all of the "healthy" things I thought I was eating were full of sugar!!!!! I've lost 20 lbs in 2.5 months! Right now, I'm nearing the end of a 12-week challenge and whoever loses the biggest weight percentage wins a Mini Cooper! It doesn't get much more motivating than that!!! Good luck!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i go to 24 hour fitness, mainly because its the only other gym by my house besides the ghetto *kitten* one down the street. i love it! i go for the classes, weights, and because its way too hot here in Texas to run outside..
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I joined a local gym which is also a physical therapy and rehab office. The reason I joined this one was because a) it is affiliated with the hospital where I work, so I get an AWESOME deal and b) it has a large swimming pool and offers free water aerobics classes for members. I absolutely love it! : )
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I just switched gyms...before I had a ghetto lookin' one with used equipment, and it was the size of my living room. But it was close to home and what I thought was a cheap membership price. Since it closed for renovations I switched to the leisure centre in the next town (literally 15 minutes away)...and let me tell you it's fantastic. There are more machines than people, there are enough weights to go around, there's tv's on the elypticall, enough space to do crunches and lunges, staff galore to answer your questions, and it's CHEAP! there's 2 pools, a hot tub, babysitting services, 2 hockey rinks, etc...it's fantastic. I just wish it were closer to home, and that the trainers weren't so expensive.

LOL
    that sounds very familiar
    we're gonna run into each other one day
    uh oh
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I go to 24 Hour Fitness - Bethlehem Racquetball Club (sounds swanky, eh?)

My employer provides memberships for employees, so that's a big win right there. I usually go pretty early in the morning to lift because the lifting portion of the gym (which is pretty big) is a boneyard. Totally empty.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I currently use the gym at my university because it is included in the student fees ... not so helpful to you I'm afraid.

But I used to belong to 24 hour fitness. I really liked that they had a great variety of equipment, open 24/7, had a lot of different classes (included in membership) and they had on-site child care, included in a slightly higher priced membership (but less than paying each time). I could also go to whichever one was convenient with the membership I had, not just one location.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

LOL
    uh oh

doesn't that creep you out a little? creeps me out lol And we both work out at night lol
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Cardinal Fitness, Lifetime Fitness and Xsport Fitness and I train with my buddy in his outdoor gym/backyard plus he has a 300 Workout set up back there with Caterpillar tires, logs and all
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness for weight training because it's right by my house and go to O2 Fitness because it has great group classes. Wish I could find just ONE that gave me convenience and classes.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have a 24hr Fitness All Club Membership. I'm still limited to their Kids Club hours though and I only have a Kids Club payment agreement with one club, which kinda sux because all the pilates classes are at the one a little ways up north.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I go to golds gym but I love it.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I go to Xsport Fitness...I'm debating switching to a closer/cheaper gym....although it isn't too crazy on the gym price...
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

LOL
    uh oh

doesn't that creep you out a little? creeps me out lol And we both work out at night lol

maybe you're talking about the OTHER gym with 2 pools, a hot tub, babysitting services, 2 hockey rinks, etc

seriously though at $39/month it's the best deal in town by far
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I use Power House and it is good very much like a family feel there....unfortunately it is competing for clients with the new and sparkly LA Fitness down the road and my place may go under.....gasp!

So my gym is like a family, there are plenty of machines, no time limits like some places and decent classes with great instructors....I got in when they had free child care mostly because I mentioned possibly going to LA Fitness. They have 2 tanning beds and a way to have massages on site with premade appointments.

No pool, would be nice if they had a walking track like Ballys used to have when I went there years ago, no fancy stuff like sauna or steam room. It would be nice if they had a rotating schedule with other things to try during the hours I can partake in the free babysitting.

Mostly I like it just to focus do my thing chat a bit and get the heck out with the kiddos tho get home to take a shower and get on with my day.