Protein.....

Options
I've been going off my MFP calorie counter and have been noticing I'm not reaching my protein goal. And as a woman, I don't mind packing on the protein.
But, I'm trying to find an alternative to the protein shakes. They all taste nasty. Seen one reviewer who said they're not really supposed to taste good. Which I agree.
I do take 30 grams of protein in the morning that's my protein shake and a hot pocket (7 grams of protein) & still need an additional 29 grams.
Anyone have any suggestions that's not loaded with calories or carbs and not a protein shake?

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    shrimp-very low calories and very high protein.. I use six star whey protein and think it tastes great with Milk
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat protein rich foods? Why have you been relying on the shakes?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Chicken
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Protein powders should have a nice taste, it's just a matter of finding a brand/flavor you like. As for getting protein from other sources, I've seen people recommend some sort of yoghurt with only protein in it. Or you could eat some lean cuts of meat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Greek Yogurt
    Cheese (also, fat)
    Edamame (also, fat)
    Chickpeas/Hummus
    Fish
    Steak

I eat my protein with a little fat and take the calorie hit, reducing in other areas. It is much easier to reach my protein goals if I include a little protein in every meal, every snack.

You may give protein powder another try with a Protein Fluff recipe.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Chicken, fish, eggs, yogurt.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    have a small can of tuna a day. Tuna seems to be the highest protein and lowest calorie food I can find, and similar price per gram of protein to whey powders.
  • MichelleMyBelle86
    MichelleMyBelle86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein most days - take a look at my diary, it's open.
    Today I had eggs for breakfast then some Greek yoghurt with fruit.
    Ham and cottage cheese as part of my lunch and then tonight I'll be having a chicken breast with my dinner.
    I'm over by 11 grams.
  • MichelleMyBelle86
    MichelleMyBelle86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh and by the way, I used to make protein shakes too - before I knew which foods to eat.
    And the shakes were YUM, I used to add a spoon of Peanut Butter and half a banana to my choc shakes and they were delicious. Sometimes I'd make them extra thick and have it after dinner as a dessert!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken. I wished I liked naked tuna, but find the taste and smell disgusting. Since carbies don't make barbies, I try to eat a lower carb, higher protein diet.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken. I wished I liked naked tuna, but find the taste and smell disgusting. Since carbies don't make barbies, I try to eat a lower carb, higher protein diet.

:) I do indeed feel like I'm eating cat food!
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've liked EAS protein and the GNC pro performance line. I try to make sure most of my lunches and dinners are a protein plus veggies, and just a little bit of complex carbs like whole grains or sweet potatoes. I find the less carbs I eat, the more I eat protein and veggies
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Tuna, chicken, beef, shrimp, greek yogurt, edamame, protein bars... l
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    not all protein powders taste the same. I went through about 6 before I found ones that I - ISO sensation and Isopure Natural.

greek yogurt
    seafood (assuming your not allergic)
    chicken
    lean ground turkey
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    not all protein powders taste the same. I went through about 6 before I found ones that I - ISO sensation and Isopure Natural.

greek yogurt
    seafood (assuming your not allergic)
    chicken
    lean ground turkey

The problem with protein powder is that I'm stuck with two brands. I live out in the country, so the stores don't cater much to the body builder types and protein junkies. It's more fit into those fad weight loss pills and drinks. We have to drive about 100 miles or so to get into an area that has a big selection.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Blackdawn_70631 , there's always mail order. I remember the challenges of shopping in a remote community. When we were let loose in an urban center hubby and I turned in to small-town hicks, planning out our circuit to the big box stores, our shopping list in hand, loading up the vehicle for the trip home. Kids in a candy store, I tell you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Why not just eat protein rich foods? Why have you been relying on the shakes?

This. I think shakes are fine to supplement, but I feel like you are making this harder than it needs to be.

Are you a vegetarian/vegan? If so, you just need to learn about plant sources of protein, and there are some good resources and threads around here. If not, it's easy: dairy, eggs, meat, especially seafood and lean meats. Also, legumes.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Eggs & Chicken! ;)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Why aren't protein shakes supposed to taste good? Are you punishing yourself?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    My protein tastes great... chocolate raspberry. Not a bat texture, nor bad flavor. it's all about trying different ones until you find one you like, if you are insistent on going the powder route.