The weekends wipe me completely out!

Options
I'll work (and workout) hard during the week, then comes Friday, Saturday, (and sometimes Sunday) my mind and body wants to celebrate (my hard work- I suppose!) It's a cycle because then when Monday rolls around, I feel like I'm starting all the way over. Anyone w experience in this? Any tips to stay focused?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes - I experienced this a few years ago when I was 'dieting'. I had a very, obsessively strict lifestyle during the week (Monday-Friday) and would eat a very low calorie diet whilst exercising every day. It wasn't a healthy way to do things to start off with but I would stick to it to a T during the week. Come Friday night, I was officially 'Free' and celebrated my 'hard work' by eating, eating, eating. In actual fact, I was seriously binge eating to make up for the utter deprivation during the week. Of course, despite the strict weeks, my weekends were totally messing up my deficit and I actually gained weight. I'm not for one minute saying that you are eating a low calorie restrictive plan, but I'd definitely ease up on the strictness so to avoid 'rewarding yourself' at the weekend. I had to change my whole attitude toward food before I could make this work. I no longer use food as a 'reward' and instead, buy myself a new book or treat myself to a new outfit!
  • stephaniemarie2
    stephaniemarie2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Same boat as you. I know what the problem is though. It's alot easier to count and weigh and be so diligent during the week (desk job). I guess it comes down to wanting it enough. I started 20 days ago, and keep doing what your doing. Every weekend that passes, I become more aware of what I'm doing wrong, own it and am slowly getting better. I guess it comes down to how bad we want it.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    There isn't an easy answer. What do you want more? To lose weight or to indulge on the weekends?

You could try calorie cycling, which is when you would lower your calorie goal during the week to give yourself more calories on the weekend. But I think your problem is more your mindset than your actual calories.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think for me the biggest problem with my weekends is that I don't have the same routine; on weekdays, I have to get my work out done at a certain time or be late for work, I walk to (and from) work, I'm active at my job. I can only eat what I bring with me (or that the school provides, but I don't often except for salad) and I can only eat at certain times as I'm otherwise with the students.

But on weekends, time passes much differently. Even if I'm active (out and about) and even if I'm logging what I eat, I have to work in exercise (even walks) in a way I don't have to when I'm at work. I'm also much more likely to indulge, and it doesn't even have to be in unhealthy food - just more food, because I have more time to eat and I don't eat as many "proper" meals at the right time, instead just eating a little here and a little there when I feel like it.

I have the week off from work now, and although I did wake up sick (of course) so I wouldn't have gone to the gym as planned anyway, I should still have been able to follow my food plan. Have I? Not so much.

So I'm good at planning my weekday meals and being very active, but on the weekends I still struggle.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The first step is admitting you have a problem... :0

No, seriously, the fact that you've identified your trend is the biggest step towards solving it. Give yourself a less strict weekday routine, and stop thinking of weekends as "free". If you want to eat 100 calories less per day to give yourself an extra few hundred on the weekends, that's fine. But weekends aren't anything-goes cheat days. You still have a calorie goal on a weekend, and you should still stick to it.

I think part of the issue is that you look at food as a "reward" for good behaviour like eating healthy and exercising. Find other ways to reward yourself that are not related to food. That might help.
  • Fit_with_Stylz
    Fit_with_Stylz Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes - I experienced this a few years ago when I was 'dieting'. I had a very, obsessively strict lifestyle during the week (Monday-Friday) and would eat a very low calorie diet whilst exercising every day. It wasn't a healthy way to do things to start off with but I would stick to it to a T during the week. Come Friday night, I was officially 'Free' and celebrated my 'hard work' by eating, eating, eating. In actual fact, I was seriously binge eating to make up for the utter deprivation during the week. Of course, despite the strict weeks, my weekends were totally messing up my deficit and I actually gained weight. I'm not for one minute saying that you are eating a low calorie restrictive plan, but I'd definitely ease up on the strictness so to avoid 'rewarding yourself' at the weekend. I had to change my whole attitude toward food before I could make this work. I no longer use food as a 'reward' and instead, buy myself a new book or treat myself to a new outfit!

You totally get it. Thanks for the tips!
  • Fit_with_Stylz
    Options
    Same boat as you. I know what the problem is though. It's alot easier to count and weigh and be so diligent during the week (desk job). I guess it comes down to wanting it enough. I started 20 days ago, and keep doing what your doing. Every weekend that passes, I become more aware of what I'm doing wrong, own it and am slowly getting better. I guess it comes down to how bad we want it.

More aware is what this journeys about. I appreciate your input!
  • Fit_with_Stylz
    Options
    nyponbell wrote: »
    I think for me the biggest problem with my weekends is that I don't have the same routine; on weekdays, I have to get my work out done at a certain time or be late for work, I walk to (and from) work, I'm active at my job. I can only eat what I bring with me (or that the school provides, but I don't often except for salad) and I can only eat at certain times as I'm otherwise with the students.

But on weekends, time passes much differently. Even if I'm active (out and about) and even if I'm logging what I eat, I have to work in exercise (even walks) in a way I don't have to when I'm at work. I'm also much more likely to indulge, and it doesn't even have to be in unhealthy food - just more food, because I have more time to eat and I don't eat as many "proper" meals at the right time, instead just eating a little here and a little there when I feel like it.

I have the week off from work now, and although I did wake up sick (of course) so I wouldn't have gone to the gym as planned anyway, I should still have been able to follow my food plan. Have I? Not so much.

So I'm good at planning my weekday meals and being very active, but on the weekends I still struggle.

So much truth in that!
  • Fit_with_Stylz
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    The first step is admitting you have a problem... :0

No, seriously, the fact that you've identified your trend is the biggest step towards solving it. Give yourself a less strict weekday routine, and stop thinking of weekends as "free". If you want to eat 100 calories less per day to give yourself an extra few hundred on the weekends, that's fine. But weekends aren't anything-goes cheat days. You still have a calorie goal on a weekend, and you should still stick to it.

I think part of the issue is that you look at food as a "reward" for good behaviour like eating healthy and exercising. Find other ways to reward yourself that are not related to food. That might help.

I BOL!!!!! The first step IS admitting you have a problem! Lol..... This is a real group of folks! I love it!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think many people have trouble not eating too much at the weekends, especially if they work away from home all week. I am at home all week but still find overindulging at weekends very tempting The way I deal with it is to have Monday as my "weigh in" day. That way I know I don't have any days left after the weekend to offset damage done to my deficit if I overindulge on Saturday and Sunday. This tactic works for me.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This past weekend our power was out due to rainy weather here in Virginia, I was sitting around the house all day with nothing to do but read or play board games. It reminded me that sometimes I eat just because I am BORED, I found myself snacking all day long, not because I was really hungry but just because I had nothing else to do, it was a bad day, but fortunately most of my Saturday's and Sunday's are pretty busy!