12 weeks left in the year! Can we lose 2 lb per week?

Options
If we start today and lose 2 lb per week, we will start the new year 24lb lighter than we are now. Anyone want to join me in actively working towards this goal? Let's share what is working and what we need help with!

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Probably not likely. Remember the closer you get to your goal weight the rate of loss goes down. So if you are only 26 pounds away from goal then the most your probably going to be able to do is 1/2 to 1 pound per week.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I'll try!!!!
  • krazykarenn
    krazykarenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    To be honest I will be happy with 1lb per week, but aiming for 2, knowing that it will get harder as I get closer to my goal!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    With only 26lbs to go, you probably don't want to be targeting 2lbs/week.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Unless someone has a significant amount of weight to lose, 2 lbs a week is more like a plan for frustration than reality. Too many newbies set the goal so high that it's simply not attainable. They lose faith, motivation, and quit. Not a good way to head towards the holidays. Set your sights to a more realistic goal. Work towards something attainable. Forgive yourself if you don't make it. Don't quit.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Unless someone has a significant amount of weight to lose, 2 lbs a week is more like a plan for frustration than reality. Too many newbies set the goal so high that it's simply not attainable. They lose faith, motivation, and quit. Not a good way to head towards the holidays. Set your sights to a more realistic goal. Work towards something attainable. Forgive yourself if you don't make it. Don't quit.

yep yep
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »

Cosigned.

Also? Weight loss is frustratingly not linear. Our bodies don't act like bank accounts with debits and credits. So many things influence the number you see on the scale that aren't really under your control.

It really is best to be patient and play a long game with weight loss.

• desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think a more fun game would be: "Let's try to super-accurately hit our daily calorie goals for the next 12 weeks"!

I'd totally play that with you.
  • megzistar
    megzistar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yass I have so much more than 24lbs to lose tho :'(
  • cellaumbrella
    cellaumbrella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Count me in...I'll be happy with half that lol!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    Intense cardio *

Lean muscle loss......great ( :s )

The number on the scale isn't everything.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    desweds wrote: »
    I think a more fun game would be: "Let's try to super-accurately hit our daily calorie goals for the next 12 weeks"!

I like that game!

• theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm consistently losing 2 pounds a week by sticking to a 1,200 calorie diet and exercising everyday (mostly cardio). I started at 299 and am now at 241. I eat a lot of low calorie foods so I can stay full. I also try and eat "healthier." I cut out all soda and fried foods and greatly cut back on fast food, sweets, and red meat. Just sharing what works for me! Good luck to you!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    hi135 wrote: »
    Intense cardio *

Lean muscle loss......great ( :s )

The number on the scale isn't everything.

for real!!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It's great to have goals, and to motivate each other. Just be cautious to set reasonable goals. If someone is in the upper 200s, 2 pounds a week is not unreasonable. For someone who is starting at 150 pounds, 2 weeks is pretty ambitious.

KrazyKarenn, if you would be happy with 1 pound a week, make that your goal, and work every day to meet THAT goal. I think you'll find yourself more confident in your efforts. Especially heading into the holidays, I fear you are setting yourself up for frustration if you restrict so aggressively.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    If I succeed I will be pretty close to a goal weight I can live with and 13 pounds shy of my UGW
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I like that game!

Me too. Process goals are such a good approach, IMO.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Count me in. Such a better goal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Since I'm at 1270 to lose a pound and a half a week, it's pretty impossible for me to do that without starving myself.