Replies

• ariffianti
    ariffianti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank for sharing the "salad guide "
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I like to make up what I call a picnic lunch on occasion for a change of pace and it might work for you too. A hard boiled egg, grapes, cheese, veggies and dip (usually plain greek yogurt and spices), ham and/or turkey roll ups and almonds.

This is basically what I do too. Last week it was rolled turkey slices, green grapes, everything bagel chips, a wedge of laughing cow and unsweetened iced tea. I have an open diary and My lunches are usually cold and under 300 calories. Add me if you like!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »
    ^^ ALL of those sound amazing! I never thought of using salsa as a dressing.

Op, I use cottage cheese as the dressing. Protein and it's good on salads with fruit (blueberries, raspberries and strawberries with chicken). Just make sure you add it right before you eat or it makes everything soggy. I also use tuna instead of chicken sometimes in my salads- those individual flavored packets.

You can make stuffed tomatoes, get a big one or a couple small ones, mix the tuna with a little mayo and anything else you like (I sometimes add dill weed or mustard, pickle juice/relish) and stuff the tomato with it. Easy and cold.

I throw a small bag of ice in my lunchbox and it stays cold all day.

You should mix the salsa with your cottage cheese. Yummmm <3

I make that to dip Doritos in :D So good

I love it!! I seriously I thought I was the ONLY person who liked salsa mixed with cottage cheese and who liked to dip Doritos into cottage cheese. Amazing! Ha :).
  • helenja86
    helenja86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make a 'sandwich filling' eg: tuna with Greek yoghurt and spring onion, then bring baby Gem lettuce separately. I use the lettuce as a wrap/ scoop. I also do this with chilli: delicious!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I use broken up corn chips ot the like for more crunch. I pack them seperately and add them just before I eat. No sog.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    ekat120 wrote: »
    ^^ ALL of those sound amazing! I never thought of using salsa as a dressing.

Op, I use cottage cheese as the dressing. Protein and it's good on salads with fruit (blueberries, raspberries and strawberries with chicken). Just make sure you add it right before you eat or it makes everything soggy. I also use tuna instead of chicken sometimes in my salads- those individual flavored packets.

You can make stuffed tomatoes, get a big one or a couple small ones, mix the tuna with a little mayo and anything else you like (I sometimes add dill weed or mustard, pickle juice/relish) and stuff the tomato with it. Easy and cold.

I throw a small bag of ice in my lunchbox and it stays cold all day.

You should mix the salsa with your cottage cheese. Yummmm <3

I make that to dip Doritos in :D So good

I love it!! I seriously I thought I was the ONLY person who liked salsa mixed with cottage cheese and who liked to dip Doritos into cottage cheese. Amazing! Ha :).

Well now I need to go get some Doritos...
  • 123juliaj123
    123juliaj123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    lots of helpful ideas here thanks everyone, Im going to buy bacon tommorow grill it and snip it up to add to salad..never thought of using it in salad til now

My usual lunch is hard boiled egg/cottage cheese and mixed up salad Im aware I eat too many eggs so bacon will make a tasty change.

salsa also a handy idea I will try out tommorow
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked this. So many good ideas for lunch and I am retired and eat at home 98% of the time.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have a remedy for soggy beet chips...or any other crispy item. I put them in either a snack size sandwich bag or a to-go dressing cup (also known as a jello shot cup!). These go right into the larger salad container.

I often will have 3 or 4 mini cups in each salad. I'll reuse the cups with dry ingredients so there isn't as much waste. They're great for a single serving of hummus, too!
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of really great suggestions here!! I've been sticking to salads for lunch and it's been working pretty well. I'll be weaving in some of the suggestions to change things up from week to week. After a few weeks I've been changing the salad up from week to week on the same canvas of kale and spinach - last week's had tomatoes and cucumber and hard boiled eggs, this week we had extra cucumber but no more tomatoes so I left that out and added some cilantro to flavor it.

I really like the idea of stuffing tuna into tomatoes as well. I'm probably going to give that a shot when I need to change things up! I've also been exploring other things to use instead of mayo with tuna, so a tomato stuffed with tuna and guacamole or hummus actually sounds delightful!

I've pretty much left the EVOO out entirely lately. It was to the point where it was so minimal and I prefer the bite of the vinegar anyway that it just wasn't worth the calories that it brought to the table.

Moreover we bought a blender this past week so I'm going to be experimenting a bit with making my own salsa, and with using this as a topper as well! I go back and forth with using the wrap or just eating it as a salad. Even though it's the same thing, the wrap sometimes changes it enough to feel 'different' from day to day instead of the same meal all week long.

Thanks again for all the wonderful lunchtime suggestions!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to make chili, soup, stew, burritos, meatballs, stuffed peppers, etc and freeze in individual portions. Grab and go during the week.