Willpower, How to find it?

Options
LastingChanges
LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
I know there is no magical way to get it but I am lacking it with everything I do.
Anyone have any personal stories or advice on how they build up their willpower.

Replies

• ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    my willpower comes from surrounding myself with people who are likeminded and who support me. Feel free to add me. ankdworak
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    We all struggle. Will power is something you can develop and something you can lose. I'm with you..trying to get it back again.

I have found that after one week of forcing myself to eat right and exercise…something clicks.. and I realize how it makes perfect sense and it gets easier..especially when you see the results and more so ..when you start feeling better.

1. realize it will be drag and hard for the first week
    2. prepare your food ahead..go to the grocery store..have all the stuff you need to make it easy on yourself.
    3. read the success thread and the maintenance thread..see people who've done it.. that helps a lot.
  • JanineAytekin
    JanineAytekin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Praying helps for me. I just came out of a very out of control period... I just couldn't stop with the binge eating. But I asked God to help me "just become willing". I kept praying. Then a couple of days later, that special fire and drive to let go of the binging just came over me. It's been a long, long time since I felt that reprieve. Thank you God for my abstinence.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

That is a terrific blog post. Truer words never been written. Motivation isn't going to just fall into your lap one day. You have to make it, then make it become a habit.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I found that when I eat certain foods I am more hungry and out of control later in the day and the next day. When I avoid those foods, I have a much easier time with my will power.

I also pray .... a lot.

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This is a lifelong process. I have good weeks and bad, good months and bad, and occasionally a bad year. You just need to get practice in putting the past behind you and recommitting yourself to the present and future. No guilt and no blame. Each day is a new day. I've maintained in a 30# range for 40 years and am working it down to a ten pound range. I've been here before, many times. If I didn't recommit to my goal many times, I'd be very heavy. It isn't easy. Even for the people who you might think have it easy, it's hard. It really is for life.
  • last_jennifer
    last_jennifer Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started off by reading a whole bunch of quotes off of pintrest on will power. Then I started to visualize myself with the weight loss. Next I came up with a realistic exercise and food plan. Finally, I am giving it 100% to follow through.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Switch", by Chip and Dan Heath. It's a good discussion on how to motivate lasting change.

A lot of the trick is to rely less and less on willpower - there are techniques you can do that minimize how much willpower is actually necessary to get a task done.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in that you're not alone-- enjoying reading the replies to this thread! Feel free to send a fr if you want another supportive friend.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I know there is no magical way to get it but I am lacking it with everything I do.
    Anyone have any personal stories or advice on how they build up their willpower.

Do you want to lose weight, stay at your current weight or gain? You, we all, get the body you, we, want. All depends on how much you want what you say you want.

My story, I'm 60 and was about 30 pounds over weight. For a mid-life/senior-life, crisis instead of getting a fast car, or fast woman, I decided to get a more youthful body. Three months gone, 20 pounds lost and a 4.7 mile time down to 12:03 miles. 199.6# marked down from 220#. 185# pounds was my best fighting weight after leaving Uncle Sam's Misguided Children in 1976.
    5'10" 60 year old male.

hi. To quote Cher: " If it were easy, or came from a bottle, we would all have great bodies".

Decide what you want and go get it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Willpower is hyped. So is motivation. Aim for enironment control and skillpower, good habits and determination.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Watch all of the Rocky films back to back (except Rocky V because it's sh%t). This will take a day so you wont have time to exercise that day. But you will train like a champion from that day forth.