Waist size

Options
Alright so I started MFP in march at 198.8 lbs and am down to 148.6. Yay 50lbs! While my waist has obviously shrunk I am still measuring at 41 inches I know I am an apple shape but with 17 lbs to a healthy BMI it seems that my waist size is impossible. I am shrinking everywhere but my gut it feels like, at 5'1 and 148 lbs I am beginning to think I will never loose this weight. Are there any ladies of similar height that are apple shape as well, was your waist this large around 150lbs. I know you can't spot reduce so I'm basically just looking for reassurance it will shrink ! Thanks in advance

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    As you continue to lose, it will continue to shrink. :)

Patience is the hardest part of losing weight, IMO. Hang in there.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Where are you measuring your waist? At the narrowest point, or around your belly?

Take heart, though. I'm 5'1" and, at my SW of 155lbs my waist was 36". Now I'm down to 105lbs and my waist is 27". It really does make a difference.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Not a lady, but I can tell you it will come off. Great job on your 50 lbs, btw. Keep at it and you will slow melt that fat away!!
  • mireina33
    mireina33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a personal trainer in Reno, and I have lost 175lbs and now weigh 127 lbs. I went through a similar struggle with my waist size. When you lose large amounts of weight there is excess skin around your mid section which is frustrating but as you continue to exercise and eat right I promise your skin will tighten and your waist will shrink. It's a process and takes time. We all go through periods when we can't see results and we plateau just keep at it and the results will come!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    congrats on the 50 pounds! I am in a similar situation as you but for different body parts. You have to continue what you are doing. You are doing great don't let this discourage you.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks , for all the support! I am measuring at the largest point however the narrowest is only a few less.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem: I look like a deflated balloon on two popsicle sticks at the moment. (I even lost a shoe size...I had no desire to lose a shoe size...) Folks keep saying it'll come off eventually, so we all patiently wait. :smile:
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. It looks like you've lost the 50 pounds in about 7 months correct? I'm at 195 right now and when I did the math that was kinda what I was figuring it would take. Just glad to see somebody was able to pull it off in that time frame.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ajocal18 wrote: »
    Thanks , for all the support! I am measuring at the largest point however the narrowest is only a few less.

Your actual "waist" measurement should be taken just above your navel. I do measure around my gut because I want to see that number move :), but if you are trying to get to a healthy waist measurement, it is referring to a specific place - basically, when you bend to the side, where the bend happens is your waist.
  • Ajocal18
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss. It looks like you've lost the 50 pounds in about 7 months correct? I'm at 195 right now and when I did the math that was kinda what I was figuring it would take. Just glad to see somebody was able to pull it off in that time frame.

Yes from march 7th to September 23. I actually got off track and didn't loose a single pound one month so it may be possible in 6 months
  • Ajocal18
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Your actual "waist" measurement should be taken just above your navel. I do measure around my gut because I want to see that number move :), but if you are trying to get to a healthy waist measurement, it is referring to a specific place - basically, when you bend to the side, where the bend happens is your waist.

Thanks for the tip! I will start measuring that are too, like you though I'm just really concerned with seeing the number change regardless of the spot I'm measuring!
  • Ajocal18
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem: I look like a deflated balloon on two popsicle sticks at the moment. (I even lost a shoe size...I had no desire to lose a shoe size...) Folks keep saying it'll come off eventually, so we all patiently wait. :smile:

Yes, I've lost weight in my face, neck, legs, ankles, thighs, feet , arms , wrist ,breast pretty much anywhere but my mid section. I'm getting concerned I look weird with my legs and boobs shrinking and my stomach staying exactly the same.
  • Ajocal18
    Options
  • Ajocal18
    Options
  • Ajocal18
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I uploaded a few pics so you can see what I'm talking about and to brag a little lol. Anyhow the first pic with the side view is current.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    as someone who carried a large beer gut for decades, I can tell you its the last to go and the first to come back when you over eat. Keep up the good work, you got this!
  • Ajocal18
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    as someone who carried a large beer gut for decades, I can tell you its the last to go and the first to come back when you over eat. Keep up the good work, you got this!

Thanks, do you think I would have to go to the lower end of a healthy Bmi to get a flatter stomach. I know it will never be flat but just a slight chub would be fine
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • vickypalfreyman471
    vickypalfreyman471 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great! Well done! Xxx
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

Thanks, do you think I would have to go to the lower end of a healthy Bmi to get a flatter stomach. I know it will never be flat but just a slight chub would be fine

First, you look great and have done so well so far. Congrats on that :)

Second, my guess is that you'll have to have a lower BMI, meaning not the top of your healthy range, to see a flatter stomach. My build is very similar. I look much slimmer when people see me from the front than I do from the side. I'm at pretty much the same weight as you, which puts me about 5 pounds below the top of my healthy range, and a bit taller (5'5.5") and my waist is still my largest measurement, proportionally speaking. My best guess right now is that I'm going to end up going to mid- to high 130s to get it to be less...big. Like you, I'm not looking for a flat stomach. Just not a big one.