Bing eating-MyFitnessPal makes me worse.

Options
I hate to say this. Every time i decide to go on a diet or lose weight, i end up binge eating. And when i don't think about diets or weight loss, i am fine. The only problem is that i would end up remaining the same although my goal is to lose weight. I don't know what to do i can't keep counting calories, i would be fine for a week or two then lose control because i am obsessing. I recently discovered that i have this disorder when i read about it. I don't know what to do. I am focusing on exercising and eating healthier but still the habit comes up every now and then and i feel so bad. Any advice please!

Replies

• random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose a week? Reduce the speed of your weight loss and maybe you won't need to binge. Alternatively, maybe you should cut down to your maintenance level for a month or two to get your body used to fewer calories. Once you can handle that without binging, then you can cut calories slowly.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Random has given good advice.

Other options are to lose weight without calorie counting eg by following a prescriptive diet which tells you exactly what to eat ( ie has done the calorie counting for you)
    Eating the same as now but increasing your activity level ie. focussing more on calories out, might be an option.

Or maybe even just cutting out sugared drinks, sweets, chips - whatever you think are the main foods pushing you over your correct calorie intake.

If you really feel the problem is bigger than this and you need psychological help, perhaps organise to get some help there too.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Also, consider carefully why you are binging.

Are you simply trying to be too aggressive on your calorie goals? Set more modest goals and stick to them - all the great goals in the world are useless if you can't stick to them.

Are you depriving yourself of foods you enjoy? Don't give up anything for the diet that you can't give up forever. Work the foods you love into the diet, so they are not some deeply-longed-for taboo, but rather just a part of the diet. The types of foods I eat today are basically what I've always eaten, the main difference is portion control and planning. Anything I like, I eat, but I eat in managed portions and I fit the foods I like within my overall calorie limit.

For planning, I map out all my meals in advance, so I don't improvise when cooking. I know before the day begins exactly what I'll have.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Amillionsparkles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the good advice. I will try to stick to the tips and see what happens. I actually had to stick to a 1200 calorie limit which made me go crazy because i had to watch out for every single thing.
    Goodluck
  • LadyLallybroch
    LadyLallybroch Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the good advice. I will try to stick to the tips and see what happens. I actually had to stick to a 1200 calorie limit which made me go crazy because i had to watch out for every single thing.
    Goodluck

Try going for a less aggressive limit. Just slightly reduce your calories. Eat all your favorite foods, just watch your portions (which you should be weighing, btw). You've found that by restricting yourself too much, you cause yourself to binge, leading to no loss. So don't restrict that much. Go easy on yourself.