are you hitting your protein goal easily ?

Options
13»

Replies

• guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks again guys, I didn't mean to sound pretentious regarding whole foods - just wanted to indicate that I prefer to cook from scratch if I'm able rather than have processed stuff. I will see how I go but I may have to think about a protein powder ........
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    guapa68 wrote: »
    Im 190 lbs 173cm - protein goal 113 gr, do you guys manage to consume that with natural whole foods? tips welcome.

I'm curious about how you arrived at the 113 g of protein goal. Maybe it's higher than it needs to be?

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I never hit mine. Ever. I would probably have to try very hard. I'm a bad vegetarian, and I hate legumes or beans(except green beans or those in Mexican food)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Im 190 lbs 173cm - protein goal 113 gr, do you guys manage to consume that with natural whole foods? tips welcome.

I'm curious about how you arrived at the 113 g of protein goal. Maybe it's higher than it needs to be?

It's actually low...0.8 grams per lb of bw is the standard calculation.

I know for sedentary it's 0.8 grams per kg but most here aren't sedentary and the more protein the better anyway...keeps you feeling fuller longer.

My goal is 110-120 grams a day and I am 143lbs
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    The average person needs 0.8g/kg (or 0.364g/lb, this is the USDA recomendation), most weight lifters need only ~0.64g/lb for maximum benefit, and the highest proven amount that covers even the genetically blessed is 0.82g/lb (maybe 0.84, I'd have to go look it up again). With that said, my goal is 0.65g/lb. If you do roids, you could possibly benefit from more protein.

At my goal weight (175lb), that is 113g/day. This is easy to hit if I'm eating at maintenance (last week I was slightly over maintenance and hit 126g/day average), but if I'm losing weight it is easier if I throw in a protein drink to easily pick up 24g of protein. I don't drink one every day, but probably 3x/week to boost my average closer to 100g/day.

I eat your standard american diet, so lots of meat (chicken, sausage, beef), cheese, and other standard foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    tips welcome.

For me, lowfat/skim dairy, lots of fish/shellfish, and simply focusing on getting a minimum amount at every meal and not making dinner do all the work.

For example, I've learned that I should add an additional protein source to breakfast along with my 2-egg vegetable omelet. Often it's dairy; today it was smoked salmon.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    BettyBoles wrote: »
    From a whole natural food it is quite difficult, we need to take supplements.

Why? I'm not opposed to protein powder, but I find it easy enough to get around 113 without using it.

(I've recently decided to lower my protein goal as I'm experimenting with more carbs, but I got around 120 for some time without needing to supplement.)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I eat between 150-180g of protein per day. I do have a protein shake (40g) to help me reach this goal though. I'm pretty consistent at hitting this target (even on rest days). Usually I find this quite easy as I enjoy eating meat and diary products, however every now and then I crave all carb meals/days so I just try to listen to my body and give it what it needs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096

Here is a good article it says RDA is too low actually...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/how-much-protein

and this one indicates what I said earlier...dieters (us) need to pay special attention as it does help keep you feeling fuller longer.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The average person needs 0.8g/kg (or 0.364g/lb, this is the USDA recomendation), most weight lifters need only ~0.64g/lb for maximum benefit, and the highest proven amount that covers even the genetically blessed is 0.82g/lb (maybe 0.84, I'd have to go look it up again). With that said, my goal is 0.65g/lb. If you do roids, you could possibly benefit from more protein.

At my goal weight (175lb), that is 113g/day. This is easy to hit if I'm eating at maintenance (last week I was slightly over maintenance and hit 126g/day average), but if I'm losing weight it is easier if I throw in a protein drink to easily pick up 24g of protein. I don't drink one every day, but probably 3x/week to boost my average closer to 100g/day.

I eat your standard american diet, so lots of meat (chicken, sausage, beef), cheese, and other standard foods.

The USDA is flat out wrong sorry. My opinion. Most studies will show diets higher in protein are better at retaining/preserving LBM, especially when in a calorie deficit.
    If you are going to er, er on the side of MORE protein.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

For 0.364g/lb (0.8g/kg) then me, at 179lbs my protein goal is 65.156g/day. I rarely ever hit that. I have days at 41g and some rare days at 70g (usually if I overate or had meat twice in a day).

However, I've heard around these forums that instead you should calculate protein requirements on lbs of "lean body mass" so possibly rather than your current weight, using your goal weight, or at least weight in the "normal" bmi category for your height. So if I calculate for the top end of the normal bmi for my height, 135lbs, my protein goal would be 49.14g/day to support that "lean body mass".

I don't know which are correct, but your number seems very high to me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I go a gram per pound or a little over. Worst case, I feel fuller longer. I'm ok with that and 220 grams is easily doable for me.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2015
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

For 0.364g/lb (0.8g/kg) then me, at 179lbs my protein goal is 65.156g/day. I rarely ever hit that. I have days at 41g and some rare days at 70g (usually if I overate or had meat twice in a day).

However, I've heard around these forums that instead you should calculate protein requirements on lbs of "lean body mass" so possibly rather than your current weight, using your goal weight, or at least weight in the "normal" bmi category for your height. So if I calculate for the top end of the normal bmi for my height, 135lbs, my protein goal would be 49.14g/day to support that "lean body mass".

I don't know which are correct, but your number seems very high to me.

It's best to base it on LBM (and then it's .8-1 g / lb of LBM), but many people don't have a good approximately, so it makes sense to focus on bodyweight and use the alternative .6-.8 g/lb of BW. (However, if you are overweight the BW formula doesn't work as well, so I suggest basing it on goal weight if that's the case.) These aren't the min recommended for nutrition and health, but the amounts that have been shown to be beneficial for preserving lean body mass when exercising and eating at a deficit or when trying to gain muscle (so important to many of us here, of course).

So 113 for 175 lb seems quite reasonable, for that goal.

The numbers you are giving .8 g/kg is the amount recommended for basic health, but higher amounts are beneficial for preserving LBM (and not otherwise harmful).