What Else?

Options
So here's my question. I've changed my eating habits. Joined a gym. Got a personal trainer. Exercise. Use MFP. Have my "skinny" pants hanging up to motivate me. But I feel like its not enough. What else could I be doing? I don't just wanna lose weight and add muscle but I want to be healthy too! Any ideas?

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Thats it you have everything you need. Keep your logging as accurate as possible and you will see the results.
    Many people think you have to do something special to lose weight you really dont.
    Good luck
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Just follow the process & be patient -> the results will follow!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine - best thing to do now? Take the pressure off yourself! :)
    You'll get there, the tools are in place and the motivation is there - now enjoy the process.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not to be a downer but don't count on adding muscle while losing weight.

The two are counter productive of each other as you typically need a surplus and a progressive load lifting program to add muscle and you need a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Concentrate on losing fat not just weight. You do that with a calorie deficit and some form of resistance training.

Just make sure you log accurately and consistently for weight loss.

Exercise for health and fitness

• BrickFox
    BrickFox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All you need to add to that list is consistency.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    BrickFox wrote: »
    All you need to add to that list is consistency.

and patience.
  • ElizabethPalm
    ElizabethPalm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You're gonna lose weight for sure! But healthy... :) put treatment in your hair 1-2 a week. Floss your teeth. Take a multivitamin. Clip your nails and keep them clean. Laugh at yourself. Dance with your husband whenever you can. Call your mum after lunch on a Sunday and tell her about your week. Do a foot scrub thingy spa treatment at home. Be happy. Do some soul searching. Pray (if you are into that - I am and it RULES) Deal with things that needs to be dealt with and MOVE on. Drink water. But most of all, love yourself. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    So here's my question. I've changed my eating habits. Joined a gym. Got a personal trainer. Exercise. Use MFP. Have my "skinny" pants hanging up to motivate me. But I feel like its not enough. What else could I be doing? I don't just wanna lose weight and add muscle but I want to be healthy too! Any ideas?

be patient.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You can sign up for walks or races. It is a good way to improve your pace, endurance, and it is a great way to be involved in your community. You could do volunteer work, donate to charity, etc. if that feeling of "doing more" is not food or exercise related but something else.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself. We often treat ourselves in ways that we would never treat another person. Treat yourself how you would treat a friend or a loved one.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You won't add much (if any) muscle mass while losing weight, but don't confuse that with gaining strength. You can certainly get stronger!

What you have left is perspective. As many are saying here, be diligent and patient. Be in this for the long haul. That means be ready to continue these changes after you hit goal weight. If you truly want to be healthy, your goal weight is a step in the journey - not the finish line!
  • NessJKay
    NessJKay Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Hello you! thought I recognised you :wink: I have made my calories go further by eating as healthy as possible and really upping my water intake and I also take a health supplement everyday now. I have also taken measurements so this can spur you on when the scales don't budge but you are toning up and loosing inches. See if you can get your body fat % measured at your gym - I did this last week and I am being remeasured 6 weeks later. As for the rest just taking better care of myself and treating myself - i.e. home pedi and manicures - long soaks in the bath after gruelling work outs - I think it is a matter of time and hopefully the results will happen - good luck
  • H34v3nlySinsx3
    H34v3nlySinsx3 Posts: 65 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's good to hear that I'm on the right track. I appreciate everyone's input.
    You're gonna lose weight for sure! But healthy... :) put treatment in your hair 1-2 a week. Floss your teeth. Take a multivitamin. Clip your nails and keep them clean. Laugh at yourself. Dance with your husband whenever you can. Call your mum after lunch on a Sunday and tell her about your week. Do a foot scrub thingy spa treatment at home. Be happy. Do some soul searching. Pray (if you are into that - I am and it RULES) Deal with things that needs to be dealt with and MOVE on. Drink water. But most of all, love yourself. :)

~ * ~
    You can sign up for walks or races. It is a good way to improve your pace, endurance, and it is a great way to be involved in your community. You could do volunteer work, donate to charity, etc. if that feeling of "doing more" is not food or exercise related but something else.

~ * ~
    Be kind to yourself. We often treat ourselves in ways that we would never treat another person. Treat yourself how you would treat a friend or a loved one.

~ * ~
    NessJKay wrote: »
    Hello you! thought I recognised you :wink: I have made my calories go further by eating as healthy as possible and really upping my water intake and I also take a health supplement everyday now. I have also taken measurements so this can spur you on when the scales don't budge but you are toning up and loosing inches. See if you can get your body fat % measured at your gym - I did this last week and I am being remeasured 6 weeks later. As for the rest just taking better care of myself and treating myself - i.e. home pedi and manicures - long soaks in the bath after gruelling work outs - I think it is a matter of time and hopefully the results will happen - good luck

These are all great ideas and exactly what I was looking for! I started taking a new multivitamin twice a day. I bought a bunch of spa face masks. Started praying more. I definitely need to drink more water - that part totally eluded me!! I found a flyer about walks here in my city this week. I'm not sure if this is what I feel might be missing but it's a start.

I know how hard I can be on myself so I like the idea of treating myself in other ways that food related ones. I'm getting my fat % and measurements done with trainer at my gym as well as my nutrition monitored. I also got rose pedals made of soap for the bath.

Thanks again for all your ideas!