Too late for a protein shake?

Options
I read that it's best to have your protein shake between 0-30 mins after finishing a workout.

I finished my workout about 2 and a half hours ago but wasn't able to have my shake straight away. Should I have it now or just leave it?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It certainly won't hurt you to get that protein in
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    Never too late!!!! I have actually heard that just before bed is another good time for protein.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The 0-30 min window is for optimal absorption rates in replenishing muscle glycogen and repairing tissues from post-workout stress.

That being said, even though you're past that window, you can still take it from a nutritional standpoint as it will still be broken down and absorbed in the body regardless.

I've been using protein shakes as my standard breakfasts lately regardless of if I've done a workout that morning simply from the convenience standpoint. I find it alot healthier and more filling than say if I was to grab a breakfast sandwich somewhere on the go.

There's alot of conflicting research about quantities and timing and such so just go with what works for you and fits your diet.

Cheers!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Never too late!!!! I have actually heard that just before bed is another good time for protein.

I heard the complete opposite from my nutritionist! Apparently, it takes the body longer to digest protein, therefore, to sleep better it's better to eat carbs before bed.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    The 0-30 min window is for optimal absorption rates in replenishing muscle glycogen and repairing tissues from post-workout stress.

That being said, even though you're past that window, you can still take it from a nutritional standpoint as it will still be broken down and absorbed in the body regardless.

I've been using protein shakes as my standard breakfasts lately regardless of if I've done a workout that morning simply from the convenience standpoint. I find it alot healthier and more filling than say if I was to grab a breakfast sandwich somewhere on the go.

There's alot of conflicting research about quantities and timing and such so just go with what works for you and fits your diet.

Cheers!

There is no optimal window for taking a protein shake. The anabolic window post-workout is open for WAY longer than 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or 120 minutes. It's more like 4-6 hours at the least; and that's when the person trains fasted.

OP - there's no difference between drinking your protein shake immediately post-workout or 10 minutes before bed ASSUMING you hit your assigned calories/macronutrients for the day. Outside of those who fast for extremely long periods of time (well over 24 hours) and/or perform MULTIPLE glycogen-depleting workouts per day, it does not matter one bit when you eat or how frequently you eat. Period.
    I heard the complete opposite from my nutritionist! Apparently, it takes the body longer to digest protein, therefore, to sleep better it's better to eat carbs before bed.

False. You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want so long as you are eating your assigned calories/macronutrients for the day.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options

It takes more energy (calorie burn) to digest protein then it does carbs which are used for fuel immediately pretty much.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! Nice to know I don't always need it straight away!

I went for one any way - I'm not getting much protein atm without a chicken/cooker :angry:

Hot milk just before bed... lovely. :smile:
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

This is exactly why it's commonly suggested to take protein prior to bed, specifically casein protein. By consuming slower digesting proteins you're intention is to keep your body in an anabolic state when it would otherwise be using calories minimally. HGH is also while you sleep which makes protein an ideal energy source for sleep.

Wake up leaner than you went to bed.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    This is exactly why it's commonly suggested to take protein prior to bed, specifically casein protein. By consuming slower digesting proteins you're intention is to keep your body in an anabolic state when it would otherwise be using calories minimally. HGH is also while you sleep which makes protein an ideal energy source for sleep.

The only people that stress any practical differences between casein and whey are the supplement companies. In terms of protein synthesis and how each one works to achieve goals: there is no difference. One is digested slower, one is digested faster, but the idea that that actually matters is what has yet to be proven.

Again, eat your calories/macros by the time you fall asleep and you're good. Doesn't matter if that includes a casein shake immediately before sleep or not.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Carbs are used for energy. Why do you need energy to sleep?
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

The only people that stress any practical differences between casein and whey are the supplement companies. In terms of protein synthesis and how each one works to achieve goals: there is no difference. One is digested slower, one is digested faster, but the idea that that actually matters is what has yet to be proven.

Again, eat your calories/macros by the time you fall asleep and you're good. Doesn't matter if that includes a casein shake immediately before sleep or not.

Fair enough, I think it's correct to generalize to protein in general. I was speaking more to the point of protein vs carbs prior to sleep. Personally I've had good success with limiting the amount of carbs I eat later in the evening and in supplimenting protein prior to sleep.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Fair enough, I think it's correct to generalize to protein in general. I was speaking more to the point of protein vs carbs prior to sleep. Personally I've had good success with limiting the amount of carbs I eat later in the evening and in supplimenting protein prior to sleep.
    That's great if doing that helps you maintain a schedule that has yielded results, but understand that whether you eat all your carbs at 9 am or 9 pm has absolutely zero bearing on long-term body composition. It might change fluctuations in water weight, but absolutely no bearing on fat gain/loss or muscle gain/loss.