such a very stupid question about bike riding

Options
How do you sit on a bike seat w/o it hurting your butt?

I've found that it is more comfortable if I sit leaning toward my tailbone rather than sitting straight up on my "sit bones". So I'm basically tucking my pelvis and making a "C" curve in my back. I hope that makes sense... Is that the right way to sit on a bike or is that going to lead to problems? I'm not riding long distances or competitively or anything.. just using it for cross training and maybe occasionally be able to bike to work (only about 3 miles).

Thanks!

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    after a few go's u will get a bike butt and it no longer hurts lol:smile:
  • aarynisabee
    Options
    Get a "girl" seat. There are actually seats made for women, and men. My fiance' bought me a nice one, and it works wonders!
    Good luck! Biking is FUN.
  • melon_e
    melon_e Posts: 58
    Options
    I'd like to know too!! I can't sit on my bike for more than about 20 minutes without being miserable. I guess it will just take some getting used to.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Not sure about proper technique, but I do not that the butt bruises go away after a couple of weeks. Good luck! :smile:
  • ToddFo
    ToddFo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a seat that fits you. You shouldn't have to try to be comfortable on a 3 mile ride. As was said already, they make seats for each sex because of the different anatomy.
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tend to go with whatever ends up being comfortable. I tend to sit upright on my mountain bike with my weight focused on my "sit" bones. Whenever I am on my road or tri bike, I am more forward with a much more curved spine (especially on the tri bike).

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way. As long as you are comfortable and can peddle efficiently, I would go with it.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I have a cushy seat. I love it.
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    Women have a slightly different anatomy then women. I know they make saddles especially designed for women.

Might be worth looking into.
  • MissMichellemybelle
    MissMichellemybelle Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    T.I.T.S
    Not meant to sound crude. It means "Time in the Saddle". You just need to increase your time in the saddle. I had the same problem when I first started spinning. Just keep at it, and I promise your butt will start to feel better.

Some things my spin instructor suggested:
    - Sit farther back in the saddle. Makes sense, the farther back you sit into the saddle, the more surface area you support your weight with

-DON'T curve your back. This will cause back pain and upper body stress, neither of which will make you feel any better about cycling.

- You can get padded bike shorts to help.

- But just keep it up. I promise, the more you sit on that seat and ride, the better your butt will feel. And, if you do need a break from the saddle, stand out of the seat, ride up a hill, and work that booty!
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It's not a stupid question, I've always had this problem haha. I recently bought a new bike....and also a separate seat :) It's from bell and its very cushy and a little wider at the back with a bit more rounding towards the front. I haven't had a single annoying butt pain since I started riding my bike.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Repeatedly. :)

If you keep getting on it your butt will eventually realize you're not quitting and it will quit complaining to you. It will realize this does no good and decide to make the best of the situation.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! I will have to look into getting a better seat. I didn't think about the difference between sexes- my midwife thought I probably broke my tailbone delivering my last baby, so I'll do some research into a good woman's seat.

Thanks again! :smile:
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    LOL unfortunately it's not the "butt" part for me that hurts, it's a little more delicate than that...!!! :embarassed:

I use padded shorts and I still get some soreness where it really shouldn't hurt. Any tips to stop it? I've tried sitting back on my seat bones to take the pressure off of *that" area but I end up leaning forward again... It makes cycling any more than about 5 miles rather uncomfortable without stopping every 2 minutes! :embarassed:
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    LOL unfortunately it's not the "butt" part for me that hurts, it's a little more delicate than that...!!! :embarassed:

I use padded shorts and I still get some soreness where it really shouldn't hurt. Any tips to stop it? I've tried sitting back on my seat bones to take the pressure off of *that" area but I end up leaning forward again... It makes cycling any more than about 5 miles rather uncomfortable without stopping every 2 minutes! :embarassed:

I have the same problem. Padded shorts *made specifically for women*, with a padded seat cover help a lot. Also I'm told chamois cream will help any chafing, but I haven't tried any of that yet. I ride 10-20 miles at a time. I still get a little sore, but not nearly like I used to.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Three things, which are pretty well covered above.

1) Keep riding, your butt will adapt. :)

2) Two words: bike shorts. There's a reason why some of us guys go riding in spandex, and it's not for the fashion.

3) Chamois cream. It's like body glide for cyclists. Really only necessary for longer rides, but helps keep the friction down, especially in those "sensitive" areas.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Oh the bits. How they trouble us so...

What every one else said, plus the following. I have to do all of this..

1. Try sitting further back on the seat with a flat back (less C-curve). Roll your hips forward towards the saddle so the bottom of your hip bone rests on the middle of the saddle. Counter intuitive, but it can help.
    2. Women's bike seat like this http://wheelworld.com/images/library/large/spec_riva_women_saddle_11_m.jpg
    3. Padded biking shorts, wear nothing underneath.
    4. Try angling your seat down in the front
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Three things, which are pretty well covered above.

1) Keep riding, your butt will adapt. :)

2) Two words: bike shorts. There's a reason why some of us guys go riding in spandex, and it's not for the fashion.

3) Chamois cream. It's like body glide for cyclists. Really only necessary for longer rides, but helps keep the friction down, especially in those "sensitive" areas.

Agree and as others have also said, so number 4,) a woman specific saddle. I bought my wife a Terry (originator of the gender specific saddle) and she loves it. I then got myself a male specific saddle. Comfort wise it is good but I don't know if it is really that much better. Supposedly it helps with matters other than comfort.

Strongly agree about the bike shorts. Caution: you get what you pay for. Buy on sale or otherwise get a good deal, but don't buy cheap!
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    4. Try angling your seat down in the front

This is the one most people don't think about. I used to do long rides and i would be all numbe in the frontal area (if you get my drift) afterwards. I adjsuted my seat angle forward a few degrees and presto, no more problem. Just sorry it took over a year before I figured that one out.

Basically, thry different angles with our seat and see if they help alleviate the pain. it won't take you very long at all to find out what your most comfortable seat position/angle is. Just make sure you try it out in your normal riding position and not just sitting upright on the bike seat.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Cheers lovely people! :smile: I do have padded cycling legging/knicker things but they're not women specific, they are my OH's spare pair, so I will look at buying proper ladies' ones.

I had thought about angling the saddle slightly but haven't yet done it, so that will be looked at tonight. Re the cream it's not chafing so much as pressure, if that makes sense!!

Can anyone recommend any good makes of lady-specific leggings? Not shorts, my legs are FAR too white to be allowed out in public LOL!!!