Tired = Must Eat...Help

Options
So I am finding I get to eat healthier diet but the reason I really want food outside of that diet is if I am tired. As a mother of three and home health provider I am tired on a regular basis at least 2 times a day about 10 o'clock in the morning and between 3 in the afternoon and whenever I get to go to bed. I have not been drinking too much coffee as I have acid reflux and it aggravates it. I tried to switch to soda but the carbonation really doesn't agree with me as I am allergic to the actual chemicals that make up the carbonation. Anyone out there have tired munchies or is that just me?

Replies

• bnicholls8
    bnicholls8 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I get the tired munchies. Instead of eating I like to pour myself a herbal tea with no milk or sugar. This helps because it takes me a long time to drink it because it is so hot, plus it keeps me on track. There is a surprising amount of caffeine in tea.

Best of luck!
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Can you spread your calories more effectively throughout the day? I eat a fairly sizeable breakfast, a mid-morning snack, a light lunch, a mid-afternoon snack, big dinner, very light evening treat. I eat just about every two hours, but only when I am hungry/weak. If I'm not hungry, I put those calories in the next time block.

Snack ideas: 1 piece of light cheese, grapes and pistachios; or 1 cup greek yogurt and an apple (portioned out to meet calorie needs; mine usually around 175-200ea)

Edit: I have (well, had) reflux too. Limiting bad foods has nearly cured mine. Eating yogurt at least once a day helped me the most.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    So I am finding I get to eat healthier diet but the reason I really want food outside of that diet is if I am tired. As a mother of three and home health provider I am tired on a regular basis at least 2 times a day about 10 o'clock in the morning and between 3 in the afternoon and whenever I get to go to bed. I have not been drinking too much coffee as I have acid reflux and it aggravates it. I tried to switch to soda but the carbonation really doesn't agree with me as I am allergic to the actual chemicals that make up the carbonation. Anyone out there have tired munchies or is that just me?

Well, glad that switch didn't work for you. That probably wouldn't have helped at all. Definitely drink a large glass of water and/or herbal tea without a lot of added sugar. Staying hydrated helps your energy level immensely. Also, having smaller more frequent meals or snacks would help, if at all possible. I realize you have a busy schedule so you may need to bring non-perishable snacks with you. Trial and error. Keep experimenting until you find what works for you!
  • oldfashiongirlD
    oldfashiongirlD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input. I did try the tea and it got me through the evening tired last night. I do think my water consumption is low due to the water where I work tastes really bad. I really need a Brita filtration bottle or something like that.

Thank you aging for being willing to share ideas.
  • KittylizKittyliz
    KittylizKittyliz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too eat compulsively when I'm tired, especially later in the day when I start to fade. I'm tired a lot because I have fibromyalgia. I have figured out that I'm looking for an energy boost, but figuring that out hasn't really helped me stop the bad habit. I know about keeping healthy snacks around, but my logical brain disconnects when I need it. I avoid caffeine because of sleep problems, although I occasionally have real coffee for the boost.

Reflux tip: I use raw apple cider vinegar (Braggs brand) to combat my mild acid reflux. It does not seem intuitive that vinegar would help an acid problem, but it does. I've even discussed it with my doctor. I put about a tablespoon in a full glass of water and drink it in the morning when I take my pills. I actually like the zippy taste (not as sharp as white vinegar). It takes some tinkering to figure out how much and how often to take it. Just an idea.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My hunger signals are off when I am sleep deprived. The only thing that works is to prioritize sleep.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'd plan a snack or two and figure out how to eat to keep yourself full. For some people it's high fat, protein, etc. For me, it's high volume. Like another poster said, I drink a lot of tea. I also chew gum, drink diet soda, and have a bunch of lower calorie snacks I love. I will whip out a whole cucumber, weight it, sprinkle some salt on it and start chowing down.