"... Could Be Linked to Obesity..."

Options
So I'm reading the new issue of Parents magazine... Not even 1/2 way in, I have read 3 articles already saying "such and such" is or could be linked to obesity...

Isn't what you feed yourself, or your children, as in quantity, the only thing linked to obesity, aside from medical issues??? What is going on?!

Drinking more than 12oz of caffeine a day COULD be linked to obesity
Giving antiobotics can cause tummy troubles and have been linked to obesity
What you talk about at the dinner table COULD/IS linked to obesity...

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There's a different between a link and a cause, IMO. A link can be indirect but still a link. For example, if dinner conversation is very calm and enjoyable, people may linger a bit and graze more. Any obesity down the road is obviously directly attributable to excess calories but there could be an indirect lifestyle link.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I lol'd; this just in----

Posting on MyFitnessPal now linked to obesity...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The problem with these "links" is that they're presented as meaningful findings to a world that is desperate for a solution that doesn't involve admitting that you overeat.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It just really seems... like a far stretch. Is everything just going to be linked now?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    It just really seems... like a far stretch. Is everything just going to be linked now?

6 Degrees of Obesity.

Now instead of Kevin Bacon, they all just end in bacon.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    They say "linked" because "cause" wouldn't be accurate, but they still want to give the impression of "cause."
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

6 Degrees of Obesity.

LOL!!!

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Beware of news stories that imply causation from correlation.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well, obesity is about what you eat, but consider this - your body is supposed to be able to keep you at a reasonable weight without extra help. That is, the whole point of hunger and satiety is to keep you at a healthy body weight, and your body has mechanisms to regulate these.

The fact that so many of us need to resort to artificial methods like calorie counting just to not be obese anymore tells you something about that weight regulation system is broken. It's true that we can use technology to augment our lives and achieve the results we want, but it would be better if our bodies could do that on their own - if we could just use hunger and satiety to keep our weight in line.

I think research into why obesity is on such a huge rise is useful so not everyone needs to go through what we are to be healthy.
  • segacs
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Well, obesity is about what you eat, but consider this - your body is supposed to be able to keep you at a reasonable weight without extra help. That is, the whole point of hunger and satiety is to keep you at a healthy body weight, and your body has mechanisms to regulate these.

The fact that so many of us need to resort to artificial methods like calorie counting just to not be obese anymore tells you something about that weight regulation system is broken. It's true that we can use technology to augment our lives and achieve the results we want, but it would be better if our bodies could do that on their own - if we could just use hunger and satiety to keep our weight in line.

I think research into why obesity is on such a huge rise is useful so not everyone needs to go through what we are to be healthy.

Well, the fact that for thousands of years, we were hunter-gatherers and then laboured in the fields and then laboured in the factories might have something to do with it. For most of human history, we were very active, and we didn't have enough food. So we became very efficient at using energy.

Evolution hasn't caught up to the 21st century internet age, where we do everything at the touch of a smartphone and sit on our butts at a desk for 8, 10, 15 hours a day, and where we have access to all the food we could possibly want. Our bodies weren't designed for that.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Well, the fact that for thousands of years, we were hunter-gatherers and then laboured in the fields and then laboured in the factories might have something to do with it. For most of human history, we were very active, and we didn't have enough food. So we became very efficient at using energy.

Evolution hasn't caught up to the 21st century internet age, where we do everything at the touch of a smartphone and sit on our butts at a desk for 8, 10, 15 hours a day, and where we have access to all the food we could possibly want. Our bodies weren't designed for that.

That's certainly true and doubtlessly plays some part, but there's likely more to it - the baby boomers had sedentary lifestyles and availability of lots of calories yet much lower obesity rates compared to today. Each generation of the past four is significantly more obese than the preceding generation, without that significant of lifestyle changes.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

6 Degrees of Obesity.

Am listening to "Footloose" right now, actually. Does this count as being linked? ;)
  • segacs
    Options
    Each generation of the past four is significantly more obese than the preceding generation, without that significant of lifestyle changes.

There have been very significant changes to both lifestyle and wealth in the past four generations, at least in the western world. Technology has advanced more in the past 50 years than it has in all of human history prior to that.

The baby boomers were nowhere near as sedentary as subsequent generations, because even though they worked at desk jobs, the basic everyday things they did in life required more movement. Need to buy something? They went to the store; we order online. Want to watch TV? They walked over to it to change the channel; we use Netflix and a remote. Need to look something up? They went to the library; we check Wikipedia. And so on, and so forth.

And the wealth thing is significant too. For most of human history, being fat was a sign of wealth; the poor didn't have enough to eat. In the past 50 years or so in western nations, obesity is inversely linked to wealth; it's the wealthy who have time to go to the gym or hire personal trainers or cook kale and spinach salads. The poorer you are, the more you will end up relying on fast food and on "approved" foods on food stamps and on foods that can be quickly consumed between your multiple part-time jobs.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

That's certainly true and doubtlessly plays some part, but there's likely more to it - the baby boomers had sedentary lifestyles and availability of lots of calories yet much lower obesity rates compared to today. Each generation of the past four is significantly more obese than the preceding generation, without that significant of lifestyle changes.

Baby boomers were sedentary as adults, yes, but much more active as kids. No video games, cartoons were only on tv Saturday mornings.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Eating too much food is the only direct link to obesity.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    So I'm reading the new issue of Parents magazine... Not even 1/2 way in, I have read 3 articles already saying "such and such" is or could be linked to obesity...

Isn't what you feed yourself, or your children, as in quantity, the only thing linked to obesity, aside from medical issues??? What is going on?!

Drinking more than 12oz of caffeine a day COULD be linked to obesity
    Giving antiobotics can cause tummy troubles and have been linked to obesity
    What you talk about at the dinner table COULD/IS linked to obesity...

2/3 of American society is linked to obesity.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Magazine purchases is linked to obesity.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Magazine purchases is linked to obesity.

They are strategically placed next to the candy bars.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Not that significant of changes? Who told you that?

Baby boomers were engineered for war through the school systems. JFK made PE a priority as a way to make 18 year olds physically ready for military-grade endurance.

They didn't have devices like today. Their entertainment was all outdoors, hardly ever indoors.

Today, PE is put on the backburner because we are too burdened with paying for everyone else's convenience and comfort in society. Fitness and nutrition were always unimportant since the 70s/80s. Now that everyone has diseases (which a good majority are linked to obesity), everyone needs a pill for something, and most jobs are either sedentary, enveloped in highly accessible horribly overpriced food (people dont cook in this century), or both. I speak in generalities, but these are things baby boomers didn't have to deal with.

We are creating diseases that are highly linked to nutrition, and obesity is directly related to nutrition. For most of these people, they are preventable if some doctor doesn't give them a bandaid (a pill) and educates them on nutrition and tells them to move their *kitten*. Problem is...advice isnt profitable, and we live in a society that likes profit too much. Just check out the names of Bowl Games this year. Ridiculous.

If a person eats right for their physical output, he/she will never become overweight/obese, or have most these diseases that are linked to something.

I eat tons of fatty meats, tons of coffee, have had tons of fast food, and I am on the upper end of overweight...I don't have one disease, or take one gosh damn pill. My cholesterol levels are better than 90% of "healthy" people.

The difference is...I move my *kitten*. So long as you move, your body knows what to do. Its Darwinian. Like a person said before me here: our bodies haven't evolved to handle unlimited food source with less energy expenditure.

That's it.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Not that significant of changes? Who told you that?

Baby boomers were engineered for war through the school systems. JFK made PE a priority as a way to make 18 year olds physically ready for military-grade endurance.

They didn't have devices like today. Their entertainment was all outdoors, hardly ever indoors.

Today, PE is put on the backburner because we are too burdened with paying for everyone else's convenience and comfort in society. Fitness and nutrition were always unimportant since the 70s/80s. Now that everyone has diseases (which a good majority are linked to obesity), everyone needs a pill for something, and most jobs are either sedentary, enveloped in highly accessible horribly overpriced food (people dont cook in this century), or both. I speak in generalities, but these are things baby boomers didn't have to deal with.

We are creating diseases that are highly linked to nutrition, and obesity is directly related to nutrition. For most of these people, they are preventable if some doctor doesn't give them a babdaid (a pill) and educates them on nutrition and tells them to move their *kitten*. Problem is...advice isnt profitable, and we live in a society that likes profit too much. Just check out the names of Bowl Games this year. Ridiculous.

If a person eats right for their physical output, he/she will never become overweight/obese, or have most these diseases that are linked to something.

I eat tons of fatty meats, tons of coffee, have had tons of fast food, and I am on the upper end of overweight...I don't have one disease, or take one gosh damn pill. My cholesterol levels are better than 90% of "healthy" people.

The difference is...I move my *kitten*. So long as you move, your body knows what to do. Its Darwinian. Like a person said before me here: our bodies haven't evolved to handle unlimited food source with less energy expenditure.

That's it.

Drugs are profitable while advice isn't. Do these 2 images help?
    g6djxaczxbky.jpg
    24ustxmh7s4f.jpg

Isn't everything liked to obesity and cancer nowadays? Always through oddly biased studies. Where they reach so far they could teach yoga classes.

Apples linked to obesity. This study paid for by the citrus fruit coalition.