Scaledown/ Contrave

Options
I was introduced to this program by my primary doctor. Is anyone out there that has heard of Scaledown or is on it?

Replies

• MacksFisher
    MacksFisher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been on it since mid July and as of Sept 13th I lost 30 pounds
  • celery54
    celery54 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow that's great! My progress is slower, I began mid July as well. I've lost, rather got RID of 15. I feel so much better. Sounds like it is working very well for you! I was wondering if you like it. It helps curb my appetite. I'm eating really clean. My dr is not the type to prescribe diet pills but he feels this is safe. Thank you for responding.
  • TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What is scaled own plz
  • MacksFisher
    MacksFisher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    celery54 wrote: »
    Wow that's great! My progress is slower, I began mid July as well. I've lost, rather got RID of 15. I feel so much better. Sounds like it is working very well for you! I was wondering if you like it. It helps curb my appetite. I'm eating really clean. My dr is not the type to prescribe diet pills but he feels this is safe. Thank you for responding.
    I love it. I am eating maybe a quarter of what I used to. I have 2 egg whites for breakfast and a fruit smoothie, during the rest of the day I snack on some fruit because I am just no hungry enough for lunch and at dinner I have at least half of what I used to eat.
    I have more energy. My clothes are looser. It has motivated me to work out more. I already ate healthy, but I was eating an enormous amount of food. That is no longer the case. Even if my insurance didn't cover most of it I would pay the full price out of pocket
  • celery54
    Options
    TacoTina wrote: »
    What is scaled own plz

• celery54
    Options
    It is a program designed for those who are already committed to getting rid of extra pounds and have medical risks such as high blood pressure or diabetes. It is a combination of diet exercise and a medication. It is a prescription.
  • celery54
    Options
    I love it. I am eating maybe a quarter of what I used to. I have 2 egg whites for breakfast and a fruit smoothie, during the rest of the day I snack on some fruit because I am just no hungry enough for lunch and at dinner I have at least half of what I used to eat.
    I have more energy. My clothes are looser. It has motivated me to work out more. I already ate healthy, but I was eating an enormous amount of food. That is no longer the case. Even if my insurance didn't cover most of it I would pay the full price out of pocket

I'm glad to hear you love the program. I also was eating healthy but way too much. I began around same time as MFP and started at 1800 calories to reel myself in. Then 1600, 1400 and now 1200 which I can't always do but track anyway. I have been taking one day at a time. I make broccoli and egg muffins w whole eggs and egg whites. Yogurt, bars, turkey patties. I even allow myself to occasionally have a skinny margarita! But all is accounted for. I wonder if I will need the med forever. I would and will if I have to. I'm so glad it's working for you. Yay! It feels so good right now even as I continue to get rid of more pounds. Keep it up! Glad to know someone else doing this too.
  • DOTT010401
    DOTT010401 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also on Contrave, I started on Aug. 1st and have lost like 18 lbs. it has changed my entire way of eating. I almost think I changed too many things all at once because now the scale isn't moving. I feel great though so eventually it has to kick back in.
  • celery54
    Options
    Hi!
    Try something different such as adding in a walk or swim. Or try drinking more water. Most important hang in there! One day at a time ... It will happen. Glad to know it's working for you. My weight riddance is slower than yours but I'm staying steady and patient.
  • XOXOBecks
    XOXOBecks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I started Contrave last Monday and the headaches are pretty intense. I'm suppose to start my second week with 1 in the morning/evening. I'm deathly afraid this will make my head explode. Can someone share when this shakes off? Also I start scale down tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.
  • misti19
    misti19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave on Jan 2nd. I am down 96 lbs. My entire perception of food has been completely overhauled. The way it works for me is it made my favorite foods taste really really awful. A few of the things I no longer eat are chocolate, potatoes, bacon, cake. I have been adding veggies that I wouldn't look at before. The food will also go tasteless when I am actually full. So all I drink is water to keep what taste I have for nutrition. I now consider food as something my body needs and I go for fuel instead of enjoyment. July 2nd I joined a gym and I work out 5 days a week. Best decision I've ever made.
  • misti19
    Options
    XOXOBecks wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I started Contrave last Monday and the headaches are pretty intense. I'm suppose to start my second week with 1 in the morning/evening. I'm deathly afraid this will make my head explode. Can someone share when this shakes off? Also I start scale down tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

I would get headaches in the beginning with high fat or fried foods. One of the warnings is to avoid meals with high fat with the dose. My husband tried taking this and actually had disturbing thoughts. My best friend tried and was sick every day. After I altered my diet I haven't had any other side effects.

• celery54
    Options
    These are good points. Also shows how different one can respond to meds. Make sure to let your doctor know how you are feeling. Very important.
    My weight loss seems slower than others. Foods taste the same to me. I do not deprive myself. I certainly am eating cleaner and I love it and feel great. I eat smaller portions and enjoying green vegetables. Tracking food, being patient for times the scale fluctuates is what I work at. I walk and swim and would love to join a gym.
  • celery54
    Options
    misti19 wrote: »
    I started Contrave on Jan 2nd. I am down 96 lbs. My entire perception of food has been completely overhauled. The way it works for me is it made my favorite foods taste really really awful. A few of the things I no longer eat are chocolate, potatoes, bacon, cake. I have been adding veggies that I wouldn't look at before. The food will also go tasteless when I am actually full. So all I drink is water to keep what taste I have for nutrition. I now consider food as something my body needs and I go for fuel instead of enjoyment. July 2nd I joined a gym and I work out 5 days a week. Best decision I've ever made.
    This is such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing.
    Contrave is certainly helping me on my journey, I wonder if I will need to stay on it for the rest of my life. Do you ever wonder about that? I've gotten rid of 15. I still have a ways to go.

• misti19
    Options
    misti19 wrote: »
    This is such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing.
    Contrave is certainly helping me on my journey, I wonder if I will need to stay on it for the rest of my life. Do you ever wonder about that? I've gotten rid of 15. I still have a ways to go.

As far as the taste thing, it was like I had to eat these things to make them go bad. Chocolate was first. From the beginning I didn't crave things like I used to but could still eat them. I had gotten a candy bar at the grocery store and was eating it on the way home (because that was my habit). Two bites in and the flavor went away. I took one more bite and then I had to pull over to spit it out. Haven't eaten chocolate since. Not sure if it works this way for anyone else but one by one all things I love to eat have gone away.

I have thought about that. I said in the beginning one year. That year is almost up and I am having doubts about quitting. However, my taste have completely changed. The things I know longer eat I can't remember what it ever tasted like good. All I can remember is the bad. The last taste I have of bacon is fatty rotten meat. Then there is working out. Contrave didn't have anything to do with my mind set on that. These things make me think it will be ok if I quit.
  • celery54
    Options
    I think you will be ok too. Thank you for sharing.
  • jamesnorman_az
    jamesnorman_az Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to this program by my primary doctor. Is anyone out there that has heard of Scaledown or is on it?

I have been on this since early August. For the first eight days it did nothing for me, then starting on day 9, when you are at a half-dose, dieting got so much easier. It's not that I crave less, it's just I don't care enough to feed the cravings.

So far I've lost almost 20 pounds. I feel like going to the gym more, and I have slightly increased energy in the afternoon.
  • nerdybirdy00
    nerdybirdy00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with scale down but I am with Contrave as I work in a pharmacy. The only thing I want to add is advice on the rx, since it is name brand only I hope you aren't paying outrageous copays for the medication. If you are I would suggest going to their website and looking at the trial offers they have or trial coupons. OR there are generic things he can prescribe, as both medications in the Contrave are generic when prescribed separately. Or there is a medication called phentermine that is generic--probably the one your dr is skeptical about as it is a stimulant and controlled substance--but does work well for most people.