What are your Low Cal yet High Volume Snack Choices?

Options
SkinnyLight777
SkinnyLight777 Posts: 36 Member
edited October 2015 in Getting Started
Hey Guys, can you list what your favorite high volume snack/or meal is yet low in cal. Looking to get more bang for my buck in the the fill me up department! :smile:
Thanks for you input!

Replies

• mahafhassan895
    mahafhassan895 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pop corn homemade is my best it makes me full with low calories
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is good about that. It's also lower in sugar than some other fruits.
  • Andy611
    Andy611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really love eating veggies (carrots, celery, cucumbers, snowpeas) with a reasonable portion of healthy dip like greek yogurt or hummus. Munching on the veggies gives my mouth something to do, I get some nutrients out of it, and the dip is tasty and satiating.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for high volume and low cal, you are looking for fillers like air or water. So popcorn or other puffed cereals are good. Or as mentioned above, watermelon. Or any of the leafy or watery vegetables.

Another option is high fiber, like a fiber one bar. I also snack on Wasa crackers.

I typically pair my carbs with a protein/fat for staying power, like nuts or cheese.

So then you get an apple with peanut butter, celery with light cream cheese, popcorn with a spritz of butter and parmesan cheese, wasa cracker with a hard boiled egg, puffed wheat with peanuts, leafy salad with shaved feta cheese and cranberries, hummus with crackers, or watermelon with Greek yogurt.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    popcorn, kale chips
  • lucyleigh4
    lucyleigh4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know I am strange..but steamed broccoli is one of my favorite low cal snacks.
  • caroayalafree
    caroayalafree Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My opinion may not be too popular, but I have a reason for to my method. I try to stay away from starchy and sugary snacks even if low calorie (fruits) because they go through you faster and they also raise your blood sugar levels. I love popcorn, but I noticed it is to blame for putting me (and others) into plateaus. So I highly recommend you concentrate on clean, low fat protein not just for your main meals but for your snacks too. For example: an egg-white omelette with plenty of veggies and a little feta cheese. Or egg-white muffin cups with pieces of bell pepper and lean ham; those you can make ahead and have ready to go in the fridge. If that is too much like breakfast, try one of the Quest Bars (170 to 190 calories) or Think Thin High Protein Bars and lots of water or with ice coffee with Almond Milk & Stevia. Those bars really fill you up! Another one that's really filling is the Organic Trader Joe's Plain Greek Yogurt (80 Calories) mixed with 3 or 4 strawberries, and one of their Apple Cranberry Fiber Cakes (80 calories). If you don't have a Trader Joe's nearby (so sorry), then try to find an equivalent yogurt and mix it with nuts, seeds (chia, sunflower) and berries. In general berries, green apples and green pears are the best fruits to have (low sugar, high fiber), BUT... always mix them with protein.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    frozen strawberries, cashew milk, 6-7 ice cubes and a 35 calorie strawberry yogurt. I add some strawberry protein and for 210 cals I can make a massive smoothie that tastes just like a milkshake with fiber, protein and minimal added sugars
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My opinion may not be too popular, but I have a reason for to my method. I try to stay away from starchy and sugary snacks even if low calorie (fruits) because they go through you faster and they also raise your blood sugar levels. I love popcorn, but I noticed it is to blame for putting me (and others) into plateaus. So I highly recommend you concentrate on clean, low fat protein not just for your main meals but for your snacks too. For example: an egg-white omelette with plenty of veggies and a little feta cheese. Or egg-white muffin cups with pieces of bell pepper and lean ham; those you can make ahead and have ready to go in the fridge. If that is too much like breakfast, try one of the Quest Bars (170 to 190 calories) or Think Thin High Protein Bars and lots of water or with ice coffee with Almond Milk & Stevia. Those bars really fill you up! Another one that's really filling is the Organic Trader Joe's Plain Greek Yogurt (80 Calories) mixed with 3 or 4 strawberries, and one of their Apple Cranberry Fiber Cakes (80 calories). If you don't have a Trader Joe's nearby (so sorry), then try to find an equivalent yogurt and mix it with nuts, seeds (chia, sunflower) and berries. In general berries, green apples and green pears are the best fruits to have (low sugar, high fiber), BUT... always mix them with protein.

I eat every night i huge bowl of popcorn ( 80 or 100 gram unpopped popcorn) Is 200 to 300 calories worth of popcorn
    Its not the popcorn what makes you not lose weight ( plateau) it is the fact you eat to much calories, so at maintenance level. Or even gain weight ( eating surplus).

I like popcorn, cheerios
    And like i said before i eat every nigh my bow of popcorn and a bowl of frozen fruits 100 gram cantaloupe + 100 gram of peaches + 100 gram of strawberries
    Sometimes even more :)
    I just kept room for it.

95069916.png

• Badunkadunk_Buster
    Badunkadunk_Buster Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Edemame is low cal and a great source of fiber. Oh and so yummmmmmmmy!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Naturally sweet Skinny Pop popcorn (my newest guilt free addiction)..
  • SkinnyLight777
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! Sadly I cannot eat popcorn. I do snack on veggies. love the egg protien muffin idea with def try! Wishing everyone great success!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Protein fluff, some ice cream desserts that are bashed on here (sure you can figure it out), shirataki noodles with hundreds and hundreds of grams of zucchini/squash and ground turkey
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    s_carson wrote: »
    Edemame is low cal and a great source of fiber. Oh and so yummmmmmmmy!

Edamame is not really great for volume actually. Not that low calorie.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    During the summer berries (any and all). During the winter freeze dried blueberries or freeze dried raspberries (130 cal per bag).
  • juanparrajara
    juanparrajara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For high volume I like to stick to natural popped corn or rice cakes (typically go with caramel). If not concerned about starch but solely calorie count, than I would suggest K-crisps by Kellogs - 2 bars - 50 calories each. You could also stick to vegetables like celery, mini carrots and cucumber.
  • SkinnyLight777
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some great snack ideas! Much appreciate it :)