Logging exercise help

Options
hi
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but why is it that when you log strentgh training option for calories doesn't come up?
I usually burn quite a bit during my weights session so how to log :?

Replies

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    because estimating calorie burn through lifting is extremely hard. It's not like cardio when you normally have a constant raised HR.

Look for strength work / lifting under cardio section of exercise.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    You can log the amount of time for "strength training" under the Cardiovascular section to get an estimate for Calories burned. You can use the Strength Training section to log sets, reps, and weights, but that section does not account for the amount of time or Calories burned.

Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles, and search for other helpful articles on the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles

btl8652brnow.jpg
  • Tanya_37
    Tanya_37 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks appreciated guys :)
    I use polar HRM so I have an idea of calories burned, I'll log as suggested
    Cheers
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Tanya_37 wrote: »
    Thanks appreciated guys :)
    I use polar HRM so I have an idea of calories burned, I'll log as suggested
    Cheers

@Tanya_37
    Don't over-write the suggested number with your calories from your HRM as then it would be horrendously exaggerated.

HR isn't any indication of energy used for strength training - that's why you can hit the same HR lifting 20kg and 200kg although 200kg would obviously need x10 the energy to move.