Keeping track of Steps taken

Options
It appears that steps taken in a new thing. I have a polar A300 that tracks steps and to get more out of that feature what is an appropriate daily goal to have for steps ?

Replies

• KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Why not wear it for a few days and see what your usual average is than aim for 5000 more. Generally the advice is to aim for 10,000 total but for active people this isn't really an increase
  • kaylenlawrence
    kaylenlawrence Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    So 10,000 is a good goal? I'm a nurse and on a shift I easily get my 10,000 a shift. So my goal would to be to make 10000 steps on an off day
  • KiwiAlexP
    Options
    I think the 10,000 step goal is designed for sedentary people so doing that on your off days would be good - maybe aim for 15,000 on work days. For me at an office job but in an office that's reasonably spread out I hit about 5500 on an average work day but if I'm having a lazy day at home may only get 2000 - my current goal is 70,000 per week and once I complete the C25K programme I'm doing at the moment will aim to get 100,000 a week. I'm also focussing on creating an exercise habit - so pushing myself to do extra walking everyday
  • KatyDidIt9090
    KatyDidIt9090 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!!
  • KiwiAlexP
    Options
    Good luck
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The steps is a great goal, but if you do any other activities that you would use your heart rate to measure, the steps really don't matter. My goal is 7000 steps a day, but by doing vigorous cardio, I get more than 10000 steps in an hour. I'll get 100% daily activity after 13000, The days I don't exercise, I may get 60% activity for 13000 steps.

IE: 15 mins of vigorous activity is the same as the 10000 steps.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm
  • kaylenlawrence
    kaylenlawrence Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The steps is a great goal, but if you do any other activities that you would use your heart rate to measure, the steps really don't matter. My goal is 7000 steps a day, but by doing vigorous cardio, I get more than 10000 steps in an hour. I'll get 100% daily activity after 13000, The days I don't exercise, I may get 60% activity for 13000 steps.

IE: 15 mins of vigorous activity is the same as the 10000 steps.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm

I
    Thanks nice to know
  • ChickFlintstone
    ChickFlintstone Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great info. Thanks for sharing!