Anybody else starve after they work out??

Options
Hey, does anybody else get super super hungry after they work out?? I get so hungry after I am done but I am afraid to eat anything. Any ideas about killing the post workout munchies? Even if I do eat something I don't feel satisfied which leads to snacking :( HELP!!!

Replies

• chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    I used to have that problem after swimming, particularly. I just had some whey protein and I'd mix it up and drink it and it'd take care of it.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Really?? After I work out I am typically less hungry than if I hadnt worked out, but i usually force myself to get down a little protein in some form or another. it is very good to get protein after a workout so maybe try and fuel that hunger with a protein shake or even a chicken breast or something like that. What time of day do you work out and when do you eat before that?
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    One word. Ravenous. I could eat the kids if they don't watch out. Starving. Nothing cures it either. I could keep eating all day. hehe.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    EAT!

I eat right after I work out, usually anywhere from 7 to 10pm, and then eat again anywhere from 10:30 to midnight. Then go to bed.

Have your eating plan laid out (or mostly laid out) in advance. There's no excuse for snacking on junk food when you're stocked with good food.
  • Seginns
    Seginns Posts: 39
    Options
    If I have a really intense workout, I'm starving. If I have a moderate one, it kills my appetite.
  • ljaglady
    ljaglady Posts: 39
    Options
    I usually work out in the evenings. I try not to eat after I work out because I know I will be hungry!
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options
    Really?? After I work out I am typically less hungry than if I hadnt worked out, but i usually force myself to get down a little protein in some form or another. it is very good to get protein after a workout so maybe try and fuel that hunger with a protein shake or even a chicken breast or something like that. What time of day do you work out and when do you eat before that?

This is how I am after working out. I feel really hungry sometimes before a workout, but after no appetite at all. So I always do my protein shakes after working out because I am doing good just to get that in me.
  • ljaglady
    Options
    Oh i don't snack on junk food! Lol just tons of fruit of veggies or a piece of meat if I can get my hands on it. No junk food
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    It depends on when I work out and when I last ate. Generally I find myself ravenous the following day if I don't eat back most of my exercise calories, rather than starving immediately following my workout.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Oh i don't snack on junk food! Lol just tons of fruit of veggies or a piece of meat if I can get my hands on it. No junk food

alright then! what's the issue? :smile:
  • kalelwifey
    kalelwifey Posts: 172
    Options
    One word. Ravenous. I could eat the kids if they don't watch out. Starving. Nothing cures it either. I could keep eating all day. hehe.

Ahahahaha! lol dont eat the kidsss! but yeah i feel this way after swimming! but if you truly feel hungry after you work out try basing ur meals after working out? Like i work out in the evenings so ill postpone my dinner til after the workout ....but other than this i have nooo ideas
  • ljaglady
    Options

Hahahaha just not being able to stop. I don't get full :(
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do a lot of cardio I get a serious case of the munchies. I save dinner for after my workouts now to curb that craving.
  • ljaglady
    Options
    Maybe that's it! I do a pretty good bit of cardio, especially when I dance. I try to postpone my workouts till after but sometimes I'm too hungry to wait
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    THe V8 one shot right after working out staves off my hunger until I get home to make a decent meal.

:D
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    I see that most people say they are hungry after working out. I'm just the opposite. The more I work, the harder I work, whether it's actual exercise, or putting up fence posts, the less hungry I am! I think tired trumps hungry for me!!!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm usually hungriest after swimming. My favorite go to is a protein shake and/or 1 slice of whole grain bread with PB&J!
  • ljaglady
    Options
    Lol it's weird how some people do get hungry and some don't! I wish I didn't. I don't like feeling unsatisfied!
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    protein drinks will curve your hunger, and bulid mucle
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

Hahahaha just not being able to stop. I don't get full :(

Looks like you have a bit of wiggle room to eat some more. On many days it seems you're not even netting 1200 cals. I would do a couple of things:

1. make sure you hit your calorie goal as close as possible (a little over or under is ok)
    2. eat more protein. go for at least 100g / day
    3. start tracking fiber and make sure to meet or exceed your fiber goal

What's your weight loss setting set to? Consider setting it to 1 lb/week, no higher.