haven't lost any weight yet

Options
I am a mom of 3 and my youngest just turned one! So this week would be 3 weeks Of starting to work out and I can't get under the 140 mark like I'm not expecting to lose all this weight but even one or two pounds by now. I do 20 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and do weights 5 days a week and I haven't even gone down one or two pounds I eat my calorie intake and I do not eat junk food everything is healthy and fresh so what is going on? (But it looks like I'm getting toned I'm feeling more muscle) thank you!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling more muscle, it is likely water retained in the muscles because of new exercise. So you are likely losing a bit of fat, which is masked by the increased water retention. However, if you open your diary and provide your stats (height, weight, age, goal), then we may also be able to give you some more tailored advice.

Agreed.
  • ruissd
    ruissd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    OK how do I share that? Lol I can tell you I'm 5'2
    140 pounds and 24 years old and I would love to be 115 to 120
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Settings > Diary settings > Public
  • ruissd
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes I am sore after every work out and I changed my diary

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more calories than you think.

Your logging over the last two weeks is spotty at best, and many of the entries are not weighed.

Before moving on to possibly more complex/other issues, you need to be sure you are accurate on your calorie intake.
  • ruissd
    Options

Your logging over the last two weeks is spotty at best, and many of the entries are not weighed.

Before moving on to possibly more complex/other issues, you need to be sure you are accurate on your calorie intake.

Well it's kinda hard to log every day with 3 small kids I try my best . but I have been eating the same thing for about 2 months before I even started working out. So that's why I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I took my measurements yesterday to track it that way
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ruissd wrote: »

Well it's kinda hard to log every day with 3 small kids I try my best . but I have been eating the same thing for about 2 months before I even started working out. So that's why I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I took my measurements yesterday to track it that way

Don't mistake my post for a criticism...we all know that logging can sometimes be challenging.

The problem is we can't really offer any advice until we know for sure you're eating as many calories as you say/think you are (again - not a criticism...I think most of us had our eyes opened wide once we started weighing and logging foods as to how inaccurate we estimate our caloric intakes to be).
  • diannethegeek
    Options

Weight loss is caused by eating fewer calories than your body uses daily. Exercise is great, it's good for your heart and helps to burn calories, but weight loss is about how much you're eating. Unfortunately, humans tend to be rather bad at estimating that. Even registered dietitians, who do this kind of thing for a living, are proven to be off by hundreds of calories when they have to estimate rather than weigh and log.

It looks like you've only been tracking your food for about a week, and in those 6 days you have 3 partial days and one empty day. Are you tracking your food elsewhere? Keeping a paper journal in your kitchen or a different phone app? Three weeks isn't always enough time to judge whether or not something is working, but I would bet that it's your food intake and not your exercise routine that you need to look to for troubleshooting.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

One entry that jumped out at me was your cream cheese danish at Starbucks for 155 calories. That seemed suspiciously low so I checked the Starbucks website. They list that danish at 420 calories. I almost never rely on the database if I can get my nutritional info from the label or the company.
  • ruissd
    edited October 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

One entry that jumped out at me was your cream cheese danish at Starbucks for 155 calories. That seemed suspiciously low so I checked the Starbucks website. They list that danish at 420 calories. I almost never rely on the database if I can get my nutritional info from the label or the company.
    I split it In half I do not eat the whole thing or I only eat a quarter of it
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I split it In half I do not eat the whole thing or I only eat a quarter of it

Ah, gotcha.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
  • ruissd
    Options
    Like a Normal day for me is a venti ice coffee which is probably the worst but I love my coffee and once in a while some of a cheese danish I don't drink alcohol or soda so its my thing. Lunch is yogurt string cheese or a greens drink and after workout protein shake and dinner is either small chicken breast patty with lots of greens. And the past couple days I have logged I haven't eaten enough calories so I'm wondering if it's not enough calories. I have now noticed the past to days I'm so hungry after a workout ! My goal is 1200 a day it's a lot of food for me my stomach has gotten so small I get full easy and fast maybe a break through in the next 2 weeks

• mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh your food. Trust me, it's a lifesaver! I thought I was doing everything right but I was not losing weight. I was so frustrated! Then I started weighing my food and realized how off I was. I started steadily losing weight. Good luck!
  • ruissd
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh your food. Trust me, it's a lifesaver! I thought I was doing everything right but I was not losing weight. I was so frustrated! Then I started weighing my food and realized how off I was. I started steadily losing weight. Good luck!

OK I think I might try that!! Could you get them anywhere
  • diannethegeek
    Options

They're pretty common. Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc. should all have them. Some grocery stores might. They usually run $10-$30 in the US.
  • ruissd
    Options
    And I'm in reality I know it's not a miracle over night . and I will be happy if I'm just in shape :) . I'm feeling positive because I am toneing up and i can tell my legs are losing the cellulite and my stomach flatter and muscle definition in my arms . I'm getting stronger to which I'm happy about just the scale hasn't moved maybe going to do a little more fine tuning <3
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Pretty much. I've seen them in Target and Walmart.

And yeah, weighing and logging is a pain and takes time, but it's the only way to be sure you're actually eating what you think are. When I tried weighing, I realized that just rough estimates weren't cutting it. I was missing 200-400 calories a day that weren't being logged! I've since learned how to estimate better (three years later), but you're going to be using the scale a lot when you first start out. Once you've gotten a list of frequently eaten things in your diary and can accurately judge a portion, you can phase out some of the weighing. I still pull mine out for new things and to double check myself randomly, but it's much easier now. Also, use the recipe function! It's really handy and if it's a meal you make a lot, you can add it as well and as long as you're getting the same amount each time, it's quicker to log.

If it helps, when you have down time, you can at least pre-portion out snacks or quick lunches. That's what I do when I bring home a bag of something. Just weigh a portion out, bag it, and repeat. That way, when I want that snack, I can grab JUST a portion that I know what the calorie count is and not eat a lot more. Easier to log, easier to fit into my day, and I still get the snack I want.
  • ruissd
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

Pretty much. I've seen them in Target and Walmart.

And yeah, weighing and logging is a pain and takes time, but it's the only way to be sure you're actually eating what you think are. When I tried weighing, I realized that just rough estimates weren't cutting it. I was missing 200-400 calories a day that weren't being logged! I've since learned how to estimate better (three years later), but you're going to be using the scale a lot when you first start out. Once you've gotten a list of frequently eaten things in your diary and can accurately judge a portion, you can phase out some of the weighing. I still pull mine out for new things and to double check myself randomly, but it's much easier now. Also, use the recipe function! It's really handy and if it's a meal you make a lot, you can add it as well and as long as you're getting the same amount each time, it's quicker to log.

If it helps, when you have down time, you can at least pre-portion out snacks or quick lunches. That's what I do when I bring home a bag of something. Just weigh a portion out, bag it, and repeat. That way, when I want that snack, I can grab JUST a portion that I know what the calorie count is and not eat a lot more. Easier to log, easier to fit into my day, and I still get the snack I want.

That's awesome I love that idea ! Is there a list you can get online for weighing the food I will go buy one today!
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Yup.. Got mine for 20 bucks at Target